Who is riding Bianchis in the TDF

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by janiejones, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Bikelyst

Bikelyst New Member

+1

Cervelo's = more often than not, a Fred.

2. sogood

sogood New Member

Gosh, this Cervelo bashing is getting out of hand! :eek:

Seriously though, does Cervelo's aero tube design translate into real performance difference under race conditions? The data on deep rim wheels is pretty well established with a quantifiable speed improvement. Is there similarly verified data on improvements provided by Cervelo aero frames?

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Geesh, haven't you read the ads? Cervelo's frames are the fastest! :rolleyes:

4. sogood

sogood New Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I pushed off those marketing bullshit. Too much of a sceptic these days. :p

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Well, then you need to pay better attention 'cuz I done read that they're also the toughest.

6. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Sogood, the reality is that it is all marketing hype. At the level most of us are, training more and better is the best way to get a 'performance advantage'. The fact is that most of us do not have the time/energy/desire/ability to put ourselves through that.

So we salivate about better bike parts.

If you want to get a performance advantage, train more. Do not worry about what you ride. I have been passed by people on 20 year old 8 speed friction shifter steel frames who simply destroyed me on climbs.

I definitely had better equipment. They had better engines. :)

Just get the bike/components that make you excited and make you want to get out there and ride.

7. sogood

sogood New Member

Thanks Pete. That was also my angle. I am getting more and more skeptical of those marketing blurb. My view on Cervelo and other brands is this, unless they are consistently winning over 75% of the races due to their major aero advantage, then it's all coming to nothing in the wash. But I was just curious if anyone actually heard of any real speed improvements using Cervelo frames after all that marketing hype. Training of the rider obviously is still my focus.

8. tinear10

tinear10 New Member

9. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

While I don't find their designs "boring" I do agree that they've become the new Trek...in the sense that they're ubiquitous. When I walk into the LBS and look closely at one I think "Man, that's a pretty sweet bike". But then I take two steps back and see 15 other identical bikes lined up ready to go out the door... eh, where's the coolness in that? And every weekend I must pass a dozen Soloists and half a dozen R3's on the roads around NYC. Yawn... I guess uniqueness excites me more than almost any other quality. Too bad, 'cuz I suspect they are very nice bikes.

Same with the '08 Trek Madone: I read all the marketing poop, and gawdamm it looks like it's a super bike...but you'd have to hand me one for free to get me to ride it.