Who is stronger

Bill benson

Guest
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider

Bill benson wrote:

> I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
>
> Who is the stronger Athlete.
> (A) The Marathon Runner
> or
> (B) The Tour De France Rider

TdF rider of course :)

Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

--
Nick

Bill benson said:
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider
'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
(altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
(after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?

I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill benson wrote:
> > Who is the stronger Athlete.
> > (A) The Marathon Runner
> > or
> > (B) The Tour De France Rider
> >

> TdF rider of course :)
>
> Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

Well, yeah, all of them actually...

if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..

hippy

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
> (altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

Yeah.. those scrawny-ass runners would be dead meat
up against an equine growth hormone-injecting, saddle
sore-pained, 100kph-descending, broken-collarboned
suffering, cobblestone riding, 6+ hours a day hard pedaling
psychos that are TdF riders...

> Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
> (after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
> but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
> Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?
> I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

Mine too. I mean, old, fat people can run a marathon (albeit
slowly) whereas an old, fat person would probably not
even finish a single mountain stage of the tour..

unbiased (haha) hippy

<cut>
I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

Who is the stronger Athlete.
(A) The Marathon Runner
or
(B) The Tour De France Rider
</cut>

TDF rider without doubt!!!

G.

"Bill benson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
>
> Who is the stronger Athlete.
> (A) The Marathon Runner
> or
> (B) The Tour De France Rider

Both have crazy endurance but aren't particularly strong. If you want
strong go find a powerlifter. Both have specific muscle groups that they
use for thier particular sport. Depends on what kind of strong you are
talking about. Strong legs? Strong arms? Strong heart and lungs? FWIW I
heard Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate of 32 BPM. Thats crazy.

Fraser

In terms of cardiovascular fitness, cyclist rank second behind cross country skiers. I think the TDF riders would have to have a more developed cardiovascular system than marathon runners simply because they spend more time at an elevated heart rate.

flyingdutch wrote:

> Bill benson Wrote:
> > I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
> >
> > Who is the stronger Athlete.
> > (A) The Marathon Runner
> > or
> > (B) The Tour De France Rider

> 'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
> I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
> (altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

<snip>

I went into marathon after a few years of boxing and judo. I was a
tank. I was probably the strongest marathoner in BrisVegas! Now that I
cycle lots I'm puny. I headed back to the gym this week, I can only leg
press 200 now, and bench 45. Ugh, weak.

As one of the more objective people in this group on this topic (being
that I like running and cycling, not just cycling...) ummm, I think I'd
say that the TDF rider would have more strength however the runners
would probably have a higher bone density. And if you got a marathon
runner to ride a long way they'd get a sore bum which'd heal up soon
enough, whereas a TDF rider doing a marathon would probably get ITB
frictions syndrome and shin splints in a single session - the damage
done during high intensity long duration cycling is less than that done
by high-intensity long duration running - unless you crash.

hippy wrote:

> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bill benson wrote:
> > > Who is the stronger Athlete.
> > > (A) The Marathon Runner
> > > or
> > > (B) The Tour De France Rider
> > >

> > TdF rider of course :)
> >
> > Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

> Well, yeah, all of them actually...
>
> if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..
>
> hippy

From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html

NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.

The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

<end>

One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
recovery.

Tam

(Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hippy wrote:
> >
> > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > >

> > > TdF rider of course :)
> > >
> > > Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

> > Well, yeah, all of them actually...
> >
> > if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..
> >
> > hippy

> From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html
>
> NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
> impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
> finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
> expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
> line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.
>
> The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
> Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
> if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
> have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
> running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.
>
> <end>
>
> One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
> continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
> blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
> flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
> recovery.
>
> Tam
>
> (Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

Now thats hardcore.

Fraser

Tamyka Bell said:
flyingdutch wrote:
whereas a TDF rider doing a marathon would probably get ITB
frictions syndrome and shin splints in a single session - the damage
done during high intensity long duration cycling is less than that done
by high-intensity long duration running - unless you crash.

but he'd be hanging on to the team car :D :D :D

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:30:01 +0800, Fraser Johnston <[email protected]> Wrote :
<snip>

>> One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
>> continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
>> blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
>> flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
>> recovery.
>>
>> Tam
>>
>> (Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

> Now thats hardcore.

Sure is, but Fiennes and Stroud are SERIOUSLY hardcore people. Have a read
of Mind Over Matter - quick review at http://tinyurl.com/5zbyt

--

Humbug

"Bill benson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
>
> Who is the stronger Athlete.
> (A) The Marathon Runner
> or
> (B) The Tour De France Rider

Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
102.7fm), that TdF riders are pushing the limits of endurance for
_all_species_ (animal kingdom, anyway), at least for those three weeks
in July. I'm sure I'm making a mess of their meticulous reporting of
the study they're quoting (can't find my copy at the mo'), but they
were going into the caloric expenditure over the three weeks, and
comparing it to the boundaries of other species in terms of their
endurance abilities. As I said, TdF riders were pushing these
boundaries, so I figure (and seem to remember) they were saying that
as far as sports go, TdF is the toughest as far as long term
endurance. Read it for yourself if you want to settle a bet (all
referenced).

BUT - they certainly did say that the guys were able to push
themselves so far because of the supported nature of cycling versus
the high impact nature of, say, marathon running which tends to ruin
soft tissues in things like knees.

So.. that's my 2cw (or somebody elses, crappily related to you)
Cheers.

blah wrote:
> Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
> sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
> funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
> 102.7fm),

O/YT a bit but those that want to listen in, 3RRR streams 24/7 on
http://www.rrr.org.au/player/index.html

Rgds
Al.