Who is stronger

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bill benson, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Bill benson

    Bill benson Guest

    I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

    Who is the stronger Athlete.
    (A) The Marathon Runner
    or
    (B) The Tour De France Rider

    Tags:

  2. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Bill benson wrote:

    > I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
    >
    > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > or
    > (B) The Tour De France Rider

    TdF rider of course :)

    Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

    --
    Nick

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
    I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
    (altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

    Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
    (after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
    but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
    Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?

    I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Bill benson wrote:
    > > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > > or
    > > (B) The Tour De France Rider
    > >

    > TdF rider of course :)
    >
    > Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

    Well, yeah, all of them actually...

    if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..

    hippy

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
    > I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
    > (altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

    Yeah.. those scrawny-ass runners would be dead meat
    up against an equine growth hormone-injecting, saddle
    sore-pained, 100kph-descending, broken-collarboned
    suffering, cobblestone riding, 6+ hours a day hard pedaling
    psychos that are TdF riders...

    > Fitness-wise. dont no too much bout runnin
    > (after all, that's why wo/man invented bike)
    > but TdF riders go 6-7 hours a day for 3 weeks
    > Marathon riders go low-2-hours now and again, dont they?
    > I think they are both freaks but my cash is on the TdF rider...

    Mine too. I mean, old, fat people can run a marathon (albeit
    slowly) whereas an old, fat person would probably not
    even finish a single mountain stage of the tour..

    unbiased (haha) hippy

  6. GDS

    GDS Guest

    <cut>
    I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.

    Who is the stronger Athlete.
    (A) The Marathon Runner
    or
    (B) The Tour De France Rider
    </cut>

    TDF rider without doubt!!!

    G.

  7. "Bill benson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
    >
    > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > or
    > (B) The Tour De France Rider

    Both have crazy endurance but aren't particularly strong. If you want
    strong go find a powerlifter. Both have specific muscle groups that they
    use for thier particular sport. Depends on what kind of strong you are
    talking about. Strong legs? Strong arms? Strong heart and lungs? FWIW I
    heard Lance Armstrong has a resting heart rate of 32 BPM. Thats crazy.

    Fraser

  8. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    In terms of cardiovascular fitness, cyclist rank second behind cross country skiers. I think the TDF riders would have to have a more developed cardiovascular system than marathon runners simply because they spend more time at an elevated heart rate.

  9. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Bill benson Wrote:
    > > I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
    > >
    > > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > > or
    > > (B) The Tour De France Rider

    > 'stronger'. what scale are you talking?
    > I doubt either of em are gonna be seen in ring anytime soon
    > (altho my money would be on Hincapie or Backsted)

    <snip>

    I went into marathon after a few years of boxing and judo. I was a
    tank. I was probably the strongest marathoner in BrisVegas! Now that I
    cycle lots I'm puny. I headed back to the gym this week, I can only leg
    press 200 now, and bench 45. Ugh, weak.

    As one of the more objective people in this group on this topic (being
    that I like running and cycling, not just cycling...) ummm, I think I'd
    say that the TDF rider would have more strength however the runners
    would probably have a higher bone density. And if you got a marathon
    runner to ride a long way they'd get a sore bum which'd heal up soon
    enough, whereas a TDF rider doing a marathon would probably get ITB
    frictions syndrome and shin splints in a single session - the damage
    done during high intensity long duration cycling is less than that done
    by high-intensity long duration running - unless you crash.

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Bill benson wrote:
    > > > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > > > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > > > or
    > > > (B) The Tour De France Rider
    > > >

    > > TdF rider of course :)
    > >
    > > Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

    > Well, yeah, all of them actually...
    >
    > if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..
    >
    > hippy

    From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html

    NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
    impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
    finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
    expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
    line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.

    The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
    Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
    if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
    have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
    running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.

    <end>

    One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
    continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
    blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
    flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
    recovery.

    Tam

    (Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

  11. "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > hippy wrote:
    > >
    > > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > >

    > > > TdF rider of course :)
    > > >
    > > > Are there any marathons that take 3 weeks?

    > > Well, yeah, all of them actually...
    > >
    > > if _i'm_ doing them!! hehehe..
    > >
    > > hippy

    > From http://vek.perlmonk.org/archives/000519.html
    >
    > NEW YORK, Nov. 2 - Two British adventurers accomplished what seems
    > impossible. They ran seven marathons in seven days on six continents,
    > finishing up in New York on Sunday. Sir Ranulph Fiennes and longtime
    > expedition partner Mike Stroud crossed the New York City Marathon finish
    > line in 5 hours, 25 minutes, 46 seconds, ending their weeklong journey.
    >
    > The idea started when Fiennes - who is related to actors Ralph and
    > Joseph Fiennes (pronounced ?fine?) - called Stroud in January and asked
    > if he wanted to scale Mount Everest. Stroud, a doctor, said he did not
    > have time for such a trip because of his schedule. So he proposed
    > running seven marathons in seven days on seven continents.
    >
    > <end>
    >
    > One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
    > continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
    > blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
    > flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
    > recovery.
    >
    > Tam
    >
    > (Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

    Now thats hardcore.

    Fraser

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    but he'd be hanging on to the team car :D :D :D

  13. HUMBUG

    HUMBUG Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:30:01 +0800, Fraser Johnston <[email protected]> Wrote :
    <snip>

    >> One of the guys was pissing blood by the end. They would have done 7
    >> continents except they couldn't get to Antarctica because a huge storm
    >> blew through. They didn't get equal time for recovery because of
    >> flights, etc, it was basically finish, jump on a plane, not the best
    >> recovery.
    >>
    >> Tam
    >>
    >> (Yeah, I'd love to do this one day)

    > Now thats hardcore.

    Sure is, but Fiennes and Stroud are SERIOUSLY hardcore people. Have a read
    of Mind Over Matter - quick review at http://tinyurl.com/5zbyt

    --

    Humbug

  14. blah

    blah Guest

    "Bill benson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I suppose this NG would be bias, but I am try to settle a bet.
    >
    > Who is the stronger Athlete.
    > (A) The Marathon Runner
    > or
    > (B) The Tour De France Rider

    Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
    sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
    funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
    102.7fm), that TdF riders are pushing the limits of endurance for
    _all_species_ (animal kingdom, anyway), at least for those three weeks
    in July. I'm sure I'm making a mess of their meticulous reporting of
    the study they're quoting (can't find my copy at the mo'), but they
    were going into the caloric expenditure over the three weeks, and
    comparing it to the boundaries of other species in terms of their
    endurance abilities. As I said, TdF riders were pushing these
    boundaries, so I figure (and seem to remember) they were saying that
    as far as sports go, TdF is the toughest as far as long term
    endurance. Read it for yourself if you want to settle a bet (all
    referenced).

    BUT - they certainly did say that the guys were able to push
    themselves so far because of the supported nature of cycling versus
    the high impact nature of, say, marathon running which tends to ruin
    soft tissues in things like knees.

    So.. that's my 2cw (or somebody elses, crappily related to you)
    Cheers.

  15. Al

    Al Guest

    blah wrote:
    > Read in a book "Run Like You Stole Something", by some guys who have a
    > sports science radio show on Triple R in Melbourne (ripper of a show;
    > funny while being very stat and science driven: 9am each Saturady
    > 102.7fm),

    O/YT a bit but those that want to listen in, 3RRR streams 24/7 on
    http://www.rrr.org.au/player/index.html

    Rgds
    Al.