Who is the greatest rider of all-time

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Kenny, Nov 23, 2002.

?

Who is the greatest rider of all-time

1. Bernard Hinault

10 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Fausto Coppi

24 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Francesco Moser

28 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Eddy Merckx

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  5. Gino Bartali

604 vote(s)
    63.1%
  6. Luison Bobet

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Felice Gimondi

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  8. Rik Van Looy

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Lance Armstrong

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  10. Miguel Indurain

280 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Robert Millar is the greatest cyclist ever from Britain - his fourth place in the TDF was great.
    What about the Vuelta he was robbed off ?
    The man was basically hijacked out of first spot because they wanted a
    Spanish winner.

Millar was one of the greatest climbers of all time - he's in the Pantani/Bahamontes/Gaul league there.

2. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I guess it's ok to be a lying, cheating doper as long as you are from UK and not USA, eh? We'll see how good Millar really is. Robbed? Hijacked? What a farce!

3. nferyn

nferyn New Member

Do you have any idea what you're saying? Cycling started before Armstrong, you know.
    "Robert" does not equal "David"

Niek

4. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

If you are going to have a go at me, I suggest you get your facts right- OK ?

You have rushed in here with a reply - you see a message from me with the name Millar in it and you rush in to a statement about cheating etc.

ROBERT MILLAR IS A RIDER WHO CYCLED FOR PEUGEOT, LE GROUPMENT ETC.
    HE WON THE KOM JERSEY IN THE TDF IN THE 1980's.
    HE WAS A GREAT CLIMBER AND FINISHED IN THE TOP 10 AT THE TDF,GIRO
    AND VUELTA.

DAVID MILLAR IS A DIFFERENT, UNRELATED RIDER.

5. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Sorry guys. My mistake. I guess I'm getting a little jumpy about the relentless attacks on Lance not counterbalanced by attacks on dopers. Sorry to Robert Millar as well. In no way is he to be compared to David Millar, as you say.

6. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

Sorry, Limerickman. I wasn't looking for an excuse to take a jab at David Millar. ;) It was an honest mistake in the wee hours (330 am) while digesting a huge helping of liver and onions before allowing myself to hit the sack. I must not have been thinking too straight. Clearly the comment was not meant to be directed in any way to Robert Millar.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

No problem - we all make typos !

Liver and onions ?
    Very Gallic, non ?

8. teamkasnomas

teamkasnomas New Member

How about the coolest looking riders of all time? Easy: I'll have to go with Charly Mottet b/c he had the coolest look when he was with R.M.O. Also, Fignon was super styley. Sean Kelly rode the coolest bike ever (full Mavic SSC Vitus 979 in wee yellow) when he was with...TEAM KAS!! That's what I'm talking about. :cool:

9. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I think it's more like being very hungry when I go shopping and knowing it cooks up in an instant. :p

10. winnezele

winnezele New Member

next year Axel Merckx will join the team of Lance. I can already see him ride with the blue train , the head of the peloton. how will you explain that? now he can hardly follow the peloton. everybody who joins Lances teams gets better for 20 %. i don't have to look far!!!!!!! lemond accuseed him, bahamontes accuses him too.
    don't you wanna see that Lance is not riding pure?????

11. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Good for Axel. Perhaps now he will get the development he needs to create a shadow of his own.

So far, the evidence against Lance is purely conjecture. I have no reason not to believe that the key to USPS's success in the Tour is strictly scientific training; focus on the Tour, where secondary tours ant the classics are ignored; preparation, which we all saw in the way Lance attacked L'alp de Huez; and money, which buys them the best sports physiologists and "trick" equipment, and allows them to focus only on the Tour.

While I am not a big fan of Armstrong, I have nothing but respect for the way he controlled the Tour this year. I'm following the allegations against him, but unless they start to show some substance, I will not believe them.

12. gntlmn

gntlmn New Member

I don't know. Axel shows moments of greatness. He's a former Belgian national champion. He used to ride for Motorola when Lance was there. So he's got some roots with the Americans. It might turn out well for both Discovery and Merckx. Axel will be 31 yrs old in August, still young enough.

He looked ok that one stage when he stayed up with Virenque for a long stretch in the mountains before Virenque finally went on to win the stage.

13. oldbobcat

I agree. Perhaps a dose of USPS/Discovery Channel scientific training (physiological and motivational) can push him over the top. I'd like to see that.

Does anybody have the names of Lance's coaching staff?

14. quinno121

quinno121 New Member

I think that Axel Merckx could have acheived much more if his second name was not Merckx. Everyone seems to be downing him because of his fathers acheivements in the sport. If he had not been in Dads shadow all these years he might have reached his full potential in cycling.:eek:

15. quinno121

quinno121 New Member

Could someone tell me how and what this rabble between Armstrong and Simeoni is. Why are these two cyclists getting at each other. There must be a reason for Armstrong chasing down a break so he could tell Simeoni to get to the back of the bunch and shut up.:confused:

16. oldbobcat

Perhaps. He's riding under a great shadow. Also, the sport has changed immensely over the last 30 years. I would like to believe that Axel just hasn't received the kind of coaching and development that he could consistently thrive under.

17. oxbow70

oxbow70 New Member

Can someone explain to me what the name Lance Armstrong is doing in between the names of the greats of all time?????
    Lance Armstrong one of the greatest riders OF ALL TIME ???????? please what has he done for the sport of cycling???????????
    6 tour wins Great I have to give him that but besides that??????????
    To me this is a shame to even put Lance in the same sentence as Eddy Merckx
    5 TdF 5 Giros 2 Vueltas 4 time world champion and lets go on forever I dont understand some people even put votes on him in this question?????????????????
    I feel very sorry for all those other riders named in the poll Hinault, Moser and so on and they get even less votes then that 6 time TdF winner I dont get it
    :mad:

18. Susan126

Susan126 New Member

If you don't get it then you do not understand people and how different everyone is. Who I think is great, you do not. But that's ok, that's the way it will always be. No two people think alike and that's what makes life exciting and interesting!

I love listening to the different arguments, reasonings, and thoughts that this particular post has created. I've chuckled at a few and I have also learned a lot about cycling and cyclists from these posts. I have been biking since I was two and I am still cycling at 50! Until Lance came along I never followed pro cycling. Now I can talk and chat about teams, pelotons, and time trials (with some savvy) with friends that I cycle with. I've never participated in a TdF :D so I cannot even envisage what 21 days and 2100 miles of riding would be like. All the cyclists who finished the Tour should be applauded! What a herculean achievement! And so should the guy who came in with the fastest time! That alone should be enough to say, "Well done, Lance! Well done!"

Kudos Lance! You did it!

Sue . . . A Lance Fan :)

19. oxbow70

oxbow70 New Member

Dear Susan,
    Please do read my post again and you will see we dont disagree on anything. Yes he won the hardest and most gruwling race in the world 6 times (and in a row) a feature never done before so great on him.
    Thought the question on top of the poll states GREATEST RIDERS OF ALL TIME and not great TDF riders.
    Thats why i say shame on all people who put Lance in the same sentance and even dare to compare him to the Cycling gods like MERCKX, GIMONDI, ZOETEMELK, HINAULT etc as those were the real heroes.
    So please now you follow pro cycling so up close maybe it is time for you to hit the library and get some books on the history on the sport and you tell me again if Lance even deserves to be in this Poll.
    so yes he is a great rider but not even within a mile of the greatest of all time.
    Thanks
    Dirk

20. dennis dee

dennis dee New Member

I agree with dirk. Altho Lance's feat is great but the sufferings of cyclists from the early years are something else compared to the comforts cyclist have nowadays. For example, cyclists from the early years did not have much support for any mechanical breakdowns. Cyclists up to the time of Gino Bartali had to carry their own spare tubes wrapped accross their chests. One cyclist whose name escapes me had to weld his own fork when it broke. He was able to repair but was disqualified due to getting assistance from the local steelsmith (is that term correct?) for fanning the flames while he performed the welding procedure.

Also, the TdF in those days was almost twice as long as today's tour and the roads were unpaved.

So who is in my opinion the greatest cyclist? Very hard to pick but definitely someone from that era - Gino Bartali or Alfredo Binda maybe.