Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Lance Armstrong

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Miguel Indurain

Votes: 280 29.3%

• Total voters
Saucy said:
Lance Armstrong 27.53%

Is this some kind of sick joke? Are there really that many trolls on this site?

Any rider who has not won the Giro, the Vuelta and many of the classics can not be considered The Greatest. AFAIC, a rider that intentionally skips these events can not even be considered "great". Armstrong is barely considered "one of the greats" and only for winning the TDF 6 times, an achievement which can not be denied. I would venture that those of you who selected Armstrong do not even know who Coppi and Bartali are.

The results of this poll confirm what I have suspected for a while. That many of the posters on this site do not know anything about the history of cycling before 1998.

My vote is for Eddy Merckx.

I don't know. I wouldn't say that they're trolls. There are a lot of young cycling fans who probably don't even know who Eddy Merckx is unfortunately. There are certainly a lot of casual fans that have jumped on the Armstrong band-wagon who have no idea who Merckx is. You can't really fault them for it. At least they're interested enough in the sport to have voted in the pole at all! Afterall, everyone's entitled to their opionion... even if they're wrong. ;)

If you ask any kid or casual baseball fan in the U.S.A. who the greatest baseball player of all time is, chances are they'll say Barry Bonds. And it's probably because they've never heard of Hank Aaron or Willie Mays. That's just the way it is.

superclimber said:
ok, for posterity would you mind explaining how doping would kill a guy quicker. it seems like everybodys on the gear these days if you read the papers ( and deep down EVERYBODY has their suspicions) and not that many are officially dying of causes directly related to doping and/or their use/misuse that can be proved.

also, you may like to note that the hardships i identified were those endured by the old school riders MID- RACE, not off the bike as you say gntlmn.

Having to sleep in a barn with a bottle of red wine and a hunk of bread is a far cry from being sheperded into a team bus washed from head to toe(by a soigneur), given carb and protein replacement liquid meals, solid food that was made for you (by a soigneur) having your clothes washed, dried and sanitised, bike washed, lubricated and tuned, put to bed , woken up, cooked for breakfast lunch and dinner and we haven't even talked about the attention they receive during the race. which these days are made for television and run during daylight.

get my point.
these were hard, hard, HARD men.

They might have been hard, HARD men, but I've done my share of hard work too. It doesn't make you a better rider. It might make your hands tougher or your ego bigger if you call attention to how much you had to go through in addition to riding your bike to get to the finish line, but you are calling grit and determination off the bike equivalent to grit and determination on the bike. They are not the same.

Don't get me wrong. That the money was not there in this sport is the reason they had to endure such hardships OFF THE BIKE--like sleeping in a barn or in a ditch, or as you say, they "drank coffee, wine, beer, spirits,and ate anything to keep them alive. lodged anywhere to keep them sheltered out of the heat or cold with complete strangers and no money. just the clothes on their backs and a truckload of spare tubes. these are the pioneers of our sport and will never be equalled. let them rest in peace.

their work is done.

thanks for helping me understand what sufferance really is."

Suffer they did, of course. I salute the pioneers of the sport that had to endure unspeakable miseries off the bike to further the sport until it could get adequately sponsored so that the hardships were shifted exclusively to the riding, not to what should have been rest time. After all, a well rested opponent is a much more formidable one than one who has not rested well, whether it's because he slept in a ditch or in a barn or didn't get adequate nutrition. Let's face it, an unrested athlete is not going to perform to his best. He is more likely to lose.

The way you guys sound, you make it seem like we ought to all go back to cave man days and give up all the modern science that allows us to live longer and more productively to instead live in a cave, hunt our food every day with sticks and stones, and never take a shower.

Let's face it. Times have changed, mostly as a result of funding. If you don't keep care of yourself, you won't race very well.

So what's my point? My point is that hardships off the bike don't make the rider better. They make him worse. So why hail riders who had to endure them? They had no choice but to endure them. The money just wasn't there.

Also, I've already dealt with the media distortion as regards doping. As we know, each year 1% of pros test positive for doping. The media blazes the spotlight on these 1%, and then we get people like superclimber thinking that everybody's doping. Well, it might be more than 1%, but from 1% to everybody is a big leap.

Saucy said:
That doesn't make sense. The reason he was called "the Cannibal" is because he competed feircely in every event and wanted to win every single race from one day classics to the grand tours. He raced every event as though his life depended on it. Without all the races, he ceases to be the Cannibal.

I think if he would have focused only on the Tour de France and won every stage, that he would still be called "the cannibal", but that's my opinion. Maybe his name would have been the destroyer or the eliminator or the undertaker or the steam roller. After all, how does one get a nickname anyway? Someone says something at a particular point in time, and it sticks. My point is that he would have been winning, and he may have won more stages in that particular race if he didn't have to race so many other races.

There wasn't as much money in the sport then as there is now. So he raced as many races as he could out of necessity to feed his family. But everyone else did too. As soon as you change the game and have riders peaking for a particular race each year, their performance level goes way up. Then the other riders start doing the same thing because they can't keep up otherwise. Then the whole sport changes. That's the way it is now.

actually gntlmn if you read what i wrote you point may be valid. but you didn't and decided to put your own spin on things by constantly refering to your "off the bike" argument.

Thse men i have talked about raced constantly through all hours of the day in case you did not know and anyone who stopped was at a disadvantage (ie sleeping in ditches to hear if your competitors had caught up to you or eating anything to enable you to continue could have been an edge to win)
In addition, i never mention racing for money, most had jobs on the side like us normal folk and raced because, as i said , they were hard men who like the spoils of victory and the taste that suffering more than your competitors brought when you were victorious. Rsearch what it was like before telling me how hard you have worked. They did it to win, not make a pittance from prizemoney, what do really know about how these men raced??. your argument seems to have led you into a rather deep hole.

oh well, take a seat and enjoy the veiw from down there. it may take a while for you to work it out but, and I've said it twice , HELLOOO , THEY WERE RACING WHILE THEY WERE OFF THE BIKE BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF WEEK LONG RACES THAT NEVER STOPPED. Do i have to drill it in??? Off the bike mate WHILE RACING.
C'mon surely you get what i was trying to say in my original post. Unfortunatley it took your two cents worth to completely miss the point. NO-ONE RACES 24 HOURS A DAY FOR TWO OR THREE WEEKS ANYMORE LIKE THESE MEN DID. Lets leave it at that, i don't know for the life of me how its got this far. A response will only be considered the dumbest thing of all time and you can have that title if you wish.

Well, I'm an LA fan, but I voted for Eddy Merckx. I may be too young to have seen Eddy ride, but I know his palmares and I've seen the footage...

It would be fantastic to be able to see a race between some of these guys though, with them all at their peak. I guess in order to prove who the best was, it would need to be a stage race featuring all the main disciplines. Each of them could assemble the best team from their contempories too....my money would be on Merckx winning overall, but I truly belive that Lance would run him pretty close.

Sure they do, they have a race that's like what you're describing, it's brutally hard and difficult. It's called the RAAM and yes, it's about 500 miles shorter than the Tour de France back in those days but the difficulty and hard conditions of that race not to mention riding for 23 hours out of 24 is pretty damn difficult so if you want to say that those guys in the Tour de France are hard men, so are these guys, but they aren't going as fast as the modern Tour de France guys nowadays, they can't.

superclimber said:
actually gntlmn if you read what i wrote you point may be valid. but you didn't and decided to put your own spin on things by constantly refering to your "off the bike" argument.

Thse men i have talked about raced constantly through all hours of the day in case you did not know and anyone who stopped was at a disadvantage (ie sleeping in ditches to hear if your competitors had caught up to you or eating anything to enable you to continue could have been an edge to win)
In addition, i never mention racing for money, most had jobs on the side like us normal folk and raced because, as i said , they were hard men who like the spoils of victory and the taste that suffering more than your competitors brought when you were victorious. Rsearch what it was like before telling me how hard you have worked. They did it to win, not make a pittance from prizemoney, what do really know about how these men raced??. your argument seems to have led you into a rather deep hole.

oh well, take a seat and enjoy the veiw from down there. it may take a while for you to work it out but, and I've said it twice , HELLOOO , THEY WERE RACING WHILE THEY WERE OFF THE BIKE BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF WEEK LONG RACES THAT NEVER STOPPED. Do i have to drill it in??? Off the bike mate WHILE RACING.
C'mon surely you get what i was trying to say in my original post. Unfortunatley it took your two cents worth to completely miss the point. NO-ONE RACES 24 HOURS A DAY FOR TWO OR THREE WEEKS ANYMORE LIKE THESE MEN DID. Lets leave it at that, i don't know for the life of me how its got this far. A response will only be considered the dumbest thing of all time and you can have that title if you wish.

tomdavis80 said:
Sure they do, they have a race that's like what you're describing, it's brutally hard and difficult. It's called the RAAM and yes, it's about 500 miles shorter than the Tour de France back in those days but the difficulty and hard conditions of that race not to mention riding for 23 hours out of 24 is pretty damn difficult so if you want to say that those guys in the Tour de France are hard men, so are these guys, but they aren't going as fast as the modern Tour de France guys nowadays, they can't.

Yeah, I did quite a few posts about RAAM. Suffering is not limited to off the bike as this superclimber seems to think. What you do on the bike is far more difficult and exhausting than what they did off the bike back then, even sleeping in ditches or staying in the barn or hiking to a welder to get your forks welded back together.

One guy in RAAM rode more than 600 miles before he even stopped to sleep. He was hallucinating, which is common for people in endurance events that require sleep deprivation, like RAAM or the Iditarod.

Under the thread 2004 La Vuelta a Espana under the forum grand tours, a few readers were debating which is harder--the Tour de France or the Vuelta. I posted a study done by a scientist which compared the Vuelta with the Tour. It turns out that the Vuelta and the Tour de France are equally difficult. This was done by comparing heart rate data between both tours and comparing intensity and duration in the different heart rate zones between the 2 tours. Shorter stages just end up more intense as measured by heart rate data.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that this is a bicycling forum. This superclimber guy is putting people who had to deal with peripheral difficulties when they were off their bicycles on a higher pedestal than those who later on no longer had those peripheral difficulties. This doesn't make much sense from a bicycling point of view.

Galibier said:
Well, I'm an LA fan, but I voted for Eddy Merckx. I may be too young to have seen Eddy ride, but I know his palmares and I've seen the footage...

It would be fantastic to be able to see a race between some of these guys though, with them all at their peak. I guess in order to prove who the best was, it would need to be a stage race featuring all the main disciplines. Each of them could assemble the best team from their contempories too....my money would be on Merckx winning overall, but I truly belive that Lance would run him pretty close.

I don't know if Merckx would have won if he would have done all the tours as he did then as compared to Lance riding only the Tour de France. I think if he did, then Lance would win. If Merckx instead would have focused on the Tour de France, as Lance does now and many pros do, it would be a good race. On the other hand, if Lance were to ride so many races in a year like Merckx did, I have a feeling it would be Merckx winning. But this will always be debatable, I suppose.

It would be neat to see what Lance would do on the regulation Merckx bike for the 1 hour.

superclimber said:

Wow! You have quite an imagination. But sorry, manipulative comments don't influence me too much.

By the way, everyone that goes into a grand tour is racing for as long as the tour lasts--6 days, 20 days, whatever--if you really want to get technical now, aren't they? What they do when they are on the bike, being a cycling fan, is what interests me and which is what brings me to this forum. What they do off the bike should be to prepare them to do better on the bike. For example, they may rest, sleep, sleep in an altitude tent, get massaged, eat a lot of carbohydrates after the ride, take a shower to avoid getting infection in road rashes. The list goes on.

The point I am making, and which you still fail to acknowledge, is that sub par conditions off the bike do not improve the performance of a rider on the bike. And yet you hail the pioneers of the sport as being better because they endured these conditions. While they get my sympathy for not having the wherewithal to improve their conditions off the bike during those early times, they don't get my respect as better riders because of these sorry conditions. I hail them for pioneering the sport, not for being better riders because of the bad conditions.

And yes, some of the stages were way longer than they are now. But to say that the riders were better because of everything they endured doesn't make much sense. It's like saying that the current 100 meter gold medal winner at the Olympics has it easy because someone you've seen race did it through 20 cm deep of mud. Do you really think that if the mud were removed he would beat the 100 meter gold medal winner?

The big thing out of this discussion is that the conditions have changed greatly between old tours and new tours. This makes the races even harder to compare, not to mention the bikes have changed a lot too, from 1 geared monsters back then to the multi geared UCI limit lightweight machines they ride now. Even now, the races are hard to compare for a number of reasons, including temperature, tactics, road surfaces. It's virtually impossible to compare the very old races to the new ones except to say they had a whole lot more peripheral difficulties back then which distracted from the main focus of a bike race, which is racing the bike, not sitting around off the bike.

meehs said:
I don't know. I wouldn't say that they're trolls. There are a lot of young cycling fans who probably don't even know who Eddy Merckx is unfortunately. There are certainly a lot of casual fans that have jumped on the Armstrong band-wagon who have no idea who Merckx is. You can't really fault them for it. At least they're interested enough in the sport to have voted in the pole at all! Afterall, everyone's entitled to their opionion... even if they're wrong. ;) .

Are you making excuses for the ignorant? I consider myself relatively young (in dog years anyway) and I only started following cycling around 98/99 shortly after I took up cycling. I was not around or too young to notice the greats when they were riding. I don't think age is much of an excuse for not knowing cycling history. There is plenty of great literature out there on cycling history, all of it excellent. Its a great sport with a great history and I wish more people would inform themselves before spouting their ill-informed opinions.

I don't expect everyone on these forums to know the history of cycling. But I would think that before responding to a poll, that the respondent would take the time to learn about some of the names before making their opinion known. Personally I don't respond to polls without knowing about the topic. But that's just me - I don't like to burden other people with my ignorance.

Yes, you are right that others are entitled to their opinions. And I am entitled to tell them that their opinion is ill-informed and frankly, stupid. I am a little riled up about the results of this poll because to me it shows a complete lack of respect for history (in general), the history of the sport specifically, and the men who made it great.

If you ask any kid or casual baseball fan in the U.S.A. who the greatest baseball player of all time is, chances are they'll say Barry Bonds. And it's probably because they've never heard of Hank Aaron or Willie Mays. That's just the way it is.

You are completely right. Even disregarding sports, there is a complete lack of respect and disregard for history in the U.S. that is utterly appalling. The current intellectual level here is nearing levels not seen since dinosaurs roamed the earth. That may be "the way it is" but its not the way it should be. I am willing to bet that most of the LA voters are american. Most europeans seem to have great knowledge of, and respect for history in general.

End of my rant.

Gntlmn, I have noticed that all of your arguments seem to revolve around hypotheticals "if, then". Greatness is not measured in hypothetical arguments. It is measured by accomplishments. The fact is that LA does not have the same list of accomplishments that these other riders have.

It is not necessary to imagine a Merckx/Armstrong drag race on similar equipment in similar conditions as this will only measure natural talent which is not what this poll is about. All that is necessary is to look at their accomplishments or palmares. Do that, and the only conclusion is that Merckx is the greater rider, by far. In my mind, this isn't even close.

In analogous terms - Mt Everest's summit is 29,000 ft.

Merckx is at 29,000 ft.
Hinault 25,000 ft.
Indurain 23,000 ft.

LA is maybe 20,000 ft.

Saucy said:
Are you making excuses for the ignorant? I consider myself relatively young (in dog years anyway) and I only started following cycling around 98/99 shortly after I took up cycling. I was not around or too young to notice the greats when they were riding. I don't think age is much of an excuse for not knowing cycling history. There is plenty of great literature out there on cycling history, all of it excellent. Its a great sport with a great history and I wish more people would inform themselves before spouting their ill-informed opinions.

I don't expect everyone on these forums to know the history of cycling. But I would think that before responding to a poll, that the respondent would take the time to learn about some of the names before making their opinion known. Personally I don't respond to polls without knowing about the topic. But that's just me - I don't like to burden other people with my ignorance.

Yes, you are right that others are entitled to their opinions. And I am entitled to tell them that their opinion is ill-informed and frankly, stupid. I am a little riled up about the results of this poll because to me it shows a complete lack of respect for history (in general), the history of the sport specifically, and the men who made it great.

You are completely right. Even disregarding sports, there is a complete lack of respect and disregard for history in the U.S. that is utterly appalling. The current intellectual level here is nearing levels not seen since dinosaurs roamed the earth. That may be "the way it is" but its not the way it should be. I am willing to bet that most of the LA voters are american. Most europeans seem to have great knowledge of, and respect for history in general.

End of my rant.

LOL! Sounds like maybe I struck a nerve with you, huh Saucy? I guess maybe to some extent I was making excuses for the ignorant as you suggested. You're perfectly entitled to your rant and for the most part I agree with everything you said. I too am sure that most of those (if not all) who voted for Armstrong are American. Sure, it would be nice to see more of the "new" cycling fans in the U.S. take an interest in the history of the sport but unfortunately it's probably not going to happen.

Oh and for the record: My vote was for Merckx. No contest in my opinion. :)

I don't want to get into a fight (I'm new here ;)), but maybe rather than being ignorant about the history of cycling a lot of people are simply reacting to what is uppermost in their minds? Although the records remain, it's sometimes pretty hard to remember exactly how good someone or something was so long after the fact - and with Lance's feats being so recent (and, at least in terms of the Tour de France, so memorable) it would be easy to say "ah, he must be the greatest"

Like I said in an earlier post, I voted for Eddy Merckx because his palmares really does speak for itself, but if he was taken out of the equation, I'd have voted for Lance. Maybe he's not better than Fausto Coppi or Gino Bartoli were, but because I can't compare them from reading a few chapters in a book or seeing a few shaky images on a DVD, I'd vote for the guy I've watched consistently crush some very talented riders over the last six years (not just in the Tour but also in races like the Dauphine Libere)

The other thing to consider is that none of the other riders came back from death's door to win the Tour - I'm not saying makes Lance the greatest rider of all time, but it obviously makes his achievements all the more special.

Jeez - I wish I'd voted for him now :D

Saucy said:
Gntlmn, I have noticed that all of your arguments seem to revolve around hypotheticals "if, then". Greatness is not measured in hypothetical arguments. It is measured by accomplishments. The fact is that LA does not have the same list of accomplishments that these other riders have.

It is not necessary to imagine a Merckx/Armstrong drag race on similar equipment in similar conditions as this will only measure natural talent which is not what this poll is about. All that is necessary is to look at their accomplishments or palmares. Do that, and the only conclusion is that Merckx is the greater rider, by far. In my mind, this isn't even close.

First of all, I voted for Merckx. He is, in my opinion, the greatest rider of all time. What my discussion is about is that the nature of the game has changed so much from the time that he rode until now that it is a completely different Tour de France.

Back in Merckx' time, all the riders rode as many races as they could, for the most part. They weren't as selective as now. And the reason for this is that they couldn't afford to be selective.

To give you some idea of the disparity in earnings between some of the current pros, consider that Armstrong's salary plus endorsements and other earnings will be something to the tune of $16.5 million this year. Did you know that some people who lined up for the 2004 Tour de France have only a base salary of $20,000? The low paid rider can still make it in a year with his other travel per diem. That's now. Imagine how meager it was back then in Merckx' time.

The riders had to ride more. Because they had to ride more, each TdF was not as much of a race. It couldn't be because they couldn't peak like they do now. So to say that because Merckx won all those races back then that he would automatically win an event that is fundamentally transformed into a once-a-year peaking event by the best cyclists in the sport is to ignore this fundamental transformation which occurred during the time of Greg Lemond. Tour winners continued to contest the Giro for a while, mostly using it for conditioning, and a couple of riders--Indurain and Pantani--chalked up double wins as this transformation continued to occur. In Indurain's later years, even the Giro became more of a conditioning event. I think a Giro/TdF double is becoming less and less likely now because of this fundamental shift.

By the very same reason that you give, that "Greatness is not measured in hypothetical arguments. It is measured by accomplishments," I made further the statements that I made below. I repeat them here.

"I don't know if Merckx would have won if he would have done all the tours as he did then as compared to Lance riding only the Tour de France. I think if he did, then Lance would win. If Merckx instead would have focused on the Tour de France, as Lance does now and many pros do, it would be a good race. On the other hand, if Lance were to ride so many races in a year like Merckx did, I have a feeling it would be Merckx winning. But this will always be debatable, I suppose."

The reason I chose this way, that Merckx would have still been the greater rider riding year round to win was that that is his record. I didn't pull it out of thin air. He had a proven track record of cannibalizing his opponents when the game was to ride as many races all year to win. Now that the game has changed, that riders tend to focus much more now on certain races to the exclusion of others, I said that a Merckx/Armstrong duel would be close in the Tour de France if Merckx would focus. I didn't pull this out of thin air either. Lance's record shows that he is able to focus very well on the Tour, better than anyone else in history over a period of time. That it would be a close race is my way of tipping my hat to Merckx, that his accomplishments truly were amazing even when he didn't have to contend as much with this transformation of riders focusing on particular events.

You can't have it both ways. If you consider that the greater champion is the one with the better palmares, then you vanquish any chance of current riders to emulate the accomplishments of the past champions. Instead, you view a win in the Tour de France now the same way as you would then. It's not the same. To ignore this is to ignore the facts.

You have to keep looking at the facts to see if you are continuing to compare apples with apples. When you look again and see apples and one orange, you might keep calling them all apples until the rest of us begin to see that there's an orange in the bunch now, and they were only all apples then. The orange being the Tour de France.

Actually, it's beginning to look like the Vuelta is perhaps an orange too. Note that the winner did not finish the Tour de France this year nor did he go to the Olympics. He bailed out early from the TdF and avoided breaking his Vuelta training at the Olympics. His focus was duly rewarded with a tour win. Roberto Heras ties the record with 3 Vuelta wins.

tomdavis80 said:
your right mate, my bad. However i was just refering to old school road racing from a historical perspective and how the hard line racing mentality came about. just had to clear that up and thanks for bringing me up to speed.

limerickman said:
In analogous terms - Mt Everest's summit is 29,000 ft.

Merckx is at 29,000 ft.
Hinault 25,000 ft.
Indurain 23,000 ft.

LA is maybe 20,000 ft.

How about Merckx as Reinhold Messner, summiting all the 20,000'ers solo and without supplemental oxygen?

LA = Mt. Kilimanjaro. Level of fame disproportionate to its accomplishments and a continent apart from the greats (Himalayas).