Who is the greatest rider of all-time

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Kenny, Nov 23, 2002.

?

Who is the greatest rider of all-time

1. Bernard Hinault

10 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. Fausto Coppi

24 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Francesco Moser

28 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Eddy Merckx

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  5. Gino Bartali

604 vote(s)
    63.1%
  6. Luison Bobet

4 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Felice Gimondi

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  8. Rik Van Looy

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. Lance Armstrong

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  10. Miguel Indurain

280 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Ashley3

Ashley3 New Member

2. Brian Cotgrove

Brian Cotgrove New Member

Eddie Merckx was of course and still is a perfect gentleman, he's bound to say something like that! Armstrong although excellent, does not ride all the one dayers or the three classics each year. Now there's the difference, if Armstrong did attempt such a feat he would not have won "Le Tour" six times?

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Your listing is missing some facts about Eddie Merckx :

1969 : Eddy won the Yellow Jersey, Green Points Jersey, Polka Dot Jersey (best climber), the Combine Jersey and the White Jersey (best young rider)
    in the 1969 TDF.

Eddy's winning margin was 17mins 54 secs.
    Eddy had 6 individual stage wins in the 1969 TDF (his team also won the TT).

1970 : Eddy won the the Yellow and Polka Dot Jerseys in the TDF.
    Eddy winning margins was 12mins 46secs.
    Eddy had 8 individual stage wins in the 1970 TDF.

1971 : Eddy won the the Yellow and Green Points Jerseys in the TDF.
    Eddy winning margins was 9mins 51secs. (he starting to get tired !)
    Eddy had 4 individual stage wins in the 1971 TDF.

1972 : Eddy won the the Yellow and Green Points Jerseys in the TDF.
    Eddy winning margins was 10mins 46secs.
    Eddy had 6 individual stage wins in the 1972 TDF.

1974 : Eddy won the the Yellow Jerseys in the TDF.
    Eddy winning margins was 8mins 04secs.
    Eddy had 8 individual stage wins in the 1974 TDF.
    (This was Eddy's fifth overall TDF win - in only 5 starts !!!!!!!!!!).

In total Eddy won 35 stages in the TDF and spent over 90 days in the Yellow
    Jersey.

If Merckx never raced in any other race other than the TDF (which seems to be the case these days !), I contend that Merckx conceivably could have
    had an even better record in the TDF.

If you consider that between 1969-1975, Eddy was winning other grand tours, world championships, major stages races - as well as winning the TDF,
    his record is simply unmatchable.

4. Laggard

Laggard New Member

Greatest ever - Merckx
    Greatest TDF rider ever - Merckx
    Greatest rider of the last 15 years - Indurain

5. Brian Cotgrove

I agree totally with you "Limerickman" Eddies the greatest, stick it too em son? Don't take a backward step either.

However some of us also have other hero's too, mine has always been the great "Fausto Coppi" and I am now able via the VCR watch endless re-runs of his battles with "Gino Bartalli".

As a boy growing up in the Old Country around the late 1940's to mid 1950's we saw scant little of his rides but when he did appear in print or accasionally on the cinema newsreel, I just wanted to get out on my old bitsa bike (all I could afford from my paper run money) to emulate his feats around the streets where we lived (East London).

I know it was a dream but then we all need to have dreams, don't we?

Keep up the good work, Brian Cotgrove.

6. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I wouldn't quibbe with the record of the Champion of Champions either.
    Coppi is an all time great - Merckx always refers to Coppi as his inspiration.

Coppi is in the top 5 - in my book (Merckx, Hinault, Coppi, Indurain and Anquetil).
    All men who raced over all terrains and distances and who managed to win.

7. Azulene

Azulene New Member

Big Mig may not be the greatest but he is Goi ilun galant bizikleta mutil :D

8. Brian Cotgrove

Yes all of that too, for a big man he knew how to pedal, I also miss his appearance in his lights at the big races?

"Ita vero esne comoedus" ;)

Have a good day too?TBC

9. cyclez

cyclez New Member

Okay, but all the choices were racers. Hasn't anyone mentioned Freddy Hoffman, the cyclist who has undoubtedly ridden more miles than anyone else, including all those racers? Look him up and be impressed. :eek:

10. Brian Cotgrove

G'day cyclez, Mate, I'm sure the person you mention is a true champion as well, there are an awful lot of really good pedallers who never
    get a mention in todays list of greats.

Many years ago in the "United kingdom" a "LADY" by name "Eileen Sheridan" set so many records that she is a definite legend, I'm not sure where you might find the list but its very impressive believe me. :)

Not just one hour, or similar events but "Lands End To John O'Groats", that's an awful long ride especially in wind, rain, snow and ice. I seem to remember she did that not once but many times over, each time bettering her previous time!

I remember reading (not sure where) that unfortuntely, only a year or so ago, Eileen was out riding, like as lot of cyclist who now just do it because of the love for the sport, when she wass knocked dwon by a "passing motorist",

I have a word to describe them also. They are a bain to all who ride non polluting device, don't let me get on my soapbox about them or I'll be writing for hours. :rolleyes:

Maybe "Limerickman" could shed some light on the exploits of "Eileen Sheridan" what say you man of knowledge :) ?

Until next time have a good day, keep up the good work too? :D

11. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Can't say that the name Eileen Sheridan rings a bell with me, I'm afraid.

12. micron

micron New Member

Are you sure you don't mean Beryl Burton?

Some information on her incredible achievements here

There's no doubt if she'd been a man we'd be considering her amongst the all time greats.

13. Brian Cotgrove

G'day micron, I'm embarrassed, you are right, Beryl Burton! Her incredible feats aboard a bike are legendary, it is, as you say, if she had been a man, she would have had her name emblazoned on every front cover everywhere?

There is no doubt that it's a mans world when it comes to sport, however things are at last changing, it will not make Beryl Burton a household name of course, but she will always be remembered as the one who really put womens cycling on the map. so as to speak?

The records she set for the things like Lands End to John O'groats are I'm sure, still standing. I may be wrong, but I've not seen anything to tell me otherwise?

Thanks for that, it makes excellent reading, if only she were alive and doing the same feats today, she would a wealthy woman.

Where I got the name of Eileen Sheridan in my mind, is anybody's guess, although someone sent me a list of acheivements with her name attatched just recently. Reading the list is very impressive?

Maybe we're sitting on the name of another great cyclist who the world has forgotten?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

14. MiyataBob

MiyataBob New Member

The greatest ALL around Cyclist is Eddy the Greatest TDF cyclist is Lance.

The greatest looking Jersey is Eddys.

I may be to old to race but not to old to form an "educated" opinion , back when I was a no name cyclist in the 70's Eddy was my idol but "today" Lance wears the title.

No comparison they were the best in their day period the rest is just
    conjecture. Frankly I care less and live to ride.

MiyataBob

15. musette

musette New Member

The greatest rider of all time and of the Tour is LA. "Greatest" is different from "most well-rounded"; it can mean that, but it need not mean that. It could also mean the rider who has achieved the most in a more specific area, like LA.

The most well-rounded rider is EM.

16. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

If you figure in winning time margins, jerseys won, days in yellow, stage wins, unfortunate circumstances, the considered importance of the Tour vs. other races, and team support, I still think EM holds the title for greatest Tour rider ever. LA is certainly a great rider and will be remembered as such. But evaluating Tour greatness in light of only total wins misses many important other variables. EM's 1969 win alone would put him near the top of great Tour riders.

17. MJtje

MJtje New Member

HUH this is a no-no discussion. Eddie PERIOD! He won all the jerseys and he won every race (including 6-day track races) and every classic. No one will ever do that again.

Also Hinault has a better winlist then Armstrong and there are others. Armstrong is 'just' the best tour rider ever. And that is because he chose to focus on that. Armstrong is the best allround-rider from 1999-2004/5. And seven is coming up fast........

Musette are you american?

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree : Merckx is the greatest ever by a long shot.
    The more one looks at his palmares, the more this becomes evident.
    He literally flattened all opposition from February to october.
    Imagine checking the fixture lists to try to find races to win !
    That's what he used to do.

My all time list, in order of greatness is
    1.Merckx
    2.Hinault
    3.Indurain (just)
    4.Coppi
    5.Anquetil
    6 LeMond
    7.Van Looy
    8 Van Steenbergen
    9 Kelly
    10 Poulidor

( i think Phillippe Thys of Belgium should be included by he only won three T'sDF and little else !)