Who is the new Garmin addition for next year?

EvilJediJ

Jun 15, 2006
I was really hoping it would be Floyd...as him and Vaughers are good friends. But people on here are saying Evans...

What are your sources on that?

EvilJediJ said:
I was really hoping it would be Floyd...as him and Vaughers are good friends. But people on here are saying Evans...

Are you kidding? Floyd is still maintaining his innocence. Signing him up will be the way to not get invited to the GTs. Vaughters is not stupid (I hope).

Garmin is supposed to be an american team...and i hope they keep it that way.. to many foreigners as is...

EvilJediJ said:

In an interview, JV (I think it was him) said that they were talking to a rider with the initials CE

EvilJediJ said:
Garmin is supposed to be an american team...and i hope they keep it that way.. to many foreigners as is...
:D LOL. :D I suspect the team sponsors would rather it to be a winning team. After all, Garmin is in the business of selling electronic bits, and Europe is a big market for them. Ergo they do not care about the nationality of their riders, as long as they win.

But you are probably right. Why don't you write to them and tell them to can Millar and Backstedt. :rolleyes:

It was the vision of Doug Ellis, the man who sponsored the team as a super fan to create an American team.

EvilJediJ said:
It was the vision of Doug Ellis, the man who sponsored the team as a super fan to create an American team.
OK, got me. I assume he is Mr. Garmin (I could not be bothered to google this right now)?

I still maintain that the point of a pro cycling team, unless Mr. Ellis is a benefactor in the true sense of the word, is to win races and get your sponsor's name in the papers. Whether you have an American, Mongolian or Transnistrian doing that tends not to be so important, unless there are specific sponsorship reasons.

Notice that Valverde is racing for a French team, Ricco' for a Spanish team, and Evans for a Belgian team, just to make a few examples.

Powerful Pete said:
OK, got me. I assume he is Mr. Garmin (I could not be bothered to google this right now)?
Doug Ellis isn't with Garmin, he was the owner all along. Garmin was brought in as a title sponsor just before the tour. From what I've read he wants a team that will be "predominantly" American. He has been quoted as saying that he'd like to grow cycling in the US and improve it's image. (He's got a hard road to haul!)

Powerful Pete said:
:D LOL. :D I suspect the team sponsors would rather it to be a winning team. After all, Garmin is in the business of selling electronic bits, and Europe is a big market for them. Ergo they do not care about the nationality of their riders, as long as they win.

But you are probably right. Why don't you write to them and tell them to can Millar and Backstedt. :rolleyes:
I think they would gain some fans if they would can Millar - no one likes the guy, and he doesn't win races. Always hyped without wins, at least since he was caught. If he wasn't an English speaking rider he wouldn't even get an interview.

Now Backstedt they should keep.

earth_dweller said:
In an interview, JV (I think it was him) said that they were talking to a rider with the initials CE
who?

Evans?

they would need to get another climber or two. VDV is not enough. They would need Augustyn, Rohregger, Mcgee, atleast. Not sure VDV would be happy.

fscyclist said:
I think they would gain some fans if they would can Millar - no one likes the guy, and he doesn't win races. Always hyped without wins, at least since he was caught. If he wasn't an English speaking rider he wouldn't even get an interview.

Oh, and I don't think most people would mind if Tommy D found his way off the team as well.

Powerful Pete said:

Backsteadt speaks better american than I do.

fscyclist said:

Millar is part owner with JV so he stays.

Of the 25 guys listed in their team roster, 11 are non-American.

I think the JV interview was on one of the Tour shows on versus

I remember JV being interviewed on Vs, but i don't remember him saying the riders initials were CE