Who made the first dual-suspension MTB? --MOULTON!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by McGet, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. McGet

    McGet Guest

    After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB was
    the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market, its design
    had a considerable impact.

    Even today, Moultons are far better suited for most types of riding, including tracks and trails --
    than say, knobby-tired mountain bikes are laboring along on paved streets. While the Moulton's
    development has been slow, incremental and scientifically measured, the mountain bike world has been
    preoccupied with almost hysterical re-engineering, changing materials and geometries to fit a
    marketing plan, not any real drive towards a better bike.

    To find out more about just how big the small-wheel and folding world is, check out A to B on the
    web, and also visit our site, www.trophybikes.com --we're sponsoring the ROUND*UP USA, a small-wheel
    and folder bike fest in Philadelphia USA, May 16-18....

    cheers
    mcG/Trophy Bikes Philadelphia....

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Even today, Moultons are far better suited for most types of riding, including tracks and trails --
    >than say, knobby-tired mountain bikes are
    laboring along on paved streets.

    The only issue with MTBs on the road are those "knobbie tires." Swap em out for road tires and you
    are set for the road.

    MTBs work quite nicely off road with road tires, certainly better than most anything else.

    jon isaacs

  3. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Mcget) wrote:

    > After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB
    > was the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market, its
    > design had a considerable impact.

    If a Moulton can be considered a dual suspension MTB, then a BMX bike must be considered a
    single-speed MTB, which it's not.

    Yamaha made a dual suspension wheelie bike back in 1973 or thereabouts.

    Small wheels are less than suitable for riding on uneven surfaces, and Moulton's rubber baby buggy
    bumpers don't change that, even if they take off some of the sting. It takes large diameter wheels
    to give the rollover and gap bridging characteristics that make an MTB what it
    is.

    Chalo Colina

  4. R.White

    R.White Guest

    [email protected] (Bluto) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Mcget) wrote:
    >
    > > After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB
    > > was the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market,
    > > its design had a considerable impact.
    >
    > If a Moulton can be considered a dual suspension MTB, then a BMX bike must be considered a
    > single-speed MTB, which it's not.

    The Moulton was an 'ATB'. MTB and ATB are the same thing. A BMX and SS are 2 different things.

    > Yamaha made a dual suspension wheelie bike back in 1973 or thereabouts.

    It wasn't an ATB or MTB. I doubt many adults rode them either.

    > Small wheels are less than suitable for riding on uneven surfaces, and Moulton's rubber baby buggy
    > bumpers don't change that, even if they take off some of the sting. It takes large diameter wheels
    > to give the rollover and gap bridging characteristics that make an MTB what it
    > is.

    Yeah, maybe I need some 36" wheels and tires then.

  5. R.White

    R.White Guest

    [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Yeah, maybe I need some 36" wheels and tires then.
    >
    > If you were Chalo Colina you could ride a bike with 36 inch wheels.

    Looks like I've been educucated as to who Chalo Colina is. My bad. Us hicks don't get
    around much. :)

  6. Bluto

    Bluto Guest