Who made the first dual-suspension MTB? --MOULTON!

McGet

Guest
After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB was
the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market, its design
had a considerable impact.

Even today, Moultons are far better suited for most types of riding, including tracks and trails --
than say, knobby-tired mountain bikes are laboring along on paved streets. While the Moulton's
development has been slow, incremental and scientifically measured, the mountain bike world has been
preoccupied with almost hysterical re-engineering, changing materials and geometries to fit a
marketing plan, not any real drive towards a better bike.

To find out more about just how big the small-wheel and folding world is, check out A to B on the
web, and also visit our site, www.trophybikes.com --we're sponsoring the ROUND*UP USA, a small-wheel
and folder bike fest in Philadelphia USA, May 16-18....

cheers
mcG/Trophy Bikes Philadelphia....

>Even today, Moultons are far better suited for most types of riding, including tracks and trails --
>than say, knobby-tired mountain bikes are
laboring along on paved streets.

The only issue with MTBs on the road are those "knobbie tires." Swap em out for road tires and you
are set for the road.

MTBs work quite nicely off road with road tires, certainly better than most anything else.

jon isaacs

[email protected] (Mcget) wrote:

> After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB
> was the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market, its
> design had a considerable impact.

If a Moulton can be considered a dual suspension MTB, then a BMX bike must be considered a
single-speed MTB, which it's not.

Yamaha made a dual suspension wheelie bike back in 1973 or thereabouts.

Small wheels are less than suitable for riding on uneven surfaces, and Moulton's rubber baby buggy
bumpers don't change that, even if they take off some of the sting. It takes large diameter wheels
to give the rollover and gap bridging characteristics that make an MTB what it
is.

Chalo Colina

[email protected] (Bluto) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Mcget) wrote:
>
> > After seeing several long and incorrect threads on suspension, I must note that Moulton's AM-ATB
> > was the FIRST dual-suspension, modern mountain bike, and while it never dominated the market,
> > its design had a considerable impact.
>
> If a Moulton can be considered a dual suspension MTB, then a BMX bike must be considered a
> single-speed MTB, which it's not.

The Moulton was an 'ATB'. MTB and ATB are the same thing. A BMX and SS are 2 different things.

> Yamaha made a dual suspension wheelie bike back in 1973 or thereabouts.

It wasn't an ATB or MTB. I doubt many adults rode them either.

> Small wheels are less than suitable for riding on uneven surfaces, and Moulton's rubber baby buggy
> bumpers don't change that, even if they take off some of the sting. It takes large diameter wheels
> to give the rollover and gap bridging characteristics that make an MTB what it
> is.

Yeah, maybe I need some 36" wheels and tires then.

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >Yeah, maybe I need some 36" wheels and tires then.
>
> If you were Chalo Colina you could ride a bike with 36 inch wheels.

Looks like I've been educucated as to who Chalo Colina is. My bad. Us hicks don't get
around much. :)