Who makes a good climbing wheel?

littlefeat

Mar 13, 2006
I've got a set of Zipp 404's that are great and at 1300gms are as light as it gets. My problem is that most of my cycling is done in mountains and open country roads where crosswinds are a problem. A crosswind when going downhill on these wheels is a little frightening. Any idea on a wheel that doesn't cost a fortune but is light and a good climber? Anyone want to buy a pair of 404's!

littlefeat said:
I've got a set of Zipp 404's that are great and at 1300gms are as light as it gets. My problem is that most of my cycling is done in mountains and open country roads where crosswinds are a problem. A crosswind when going downhill on these wheels is a little frightening. Any idea on a wheel that doesn't cost a fortune but is light and a good climber? Anyone want to buy a pair of 404's!
Campy Neutrons. Excellent quality, low profile and plenty stiff. Not super lightweights (1550 grams or so), but not to bad either.

littlefeat said:
I have DT Dwiss 1450's...
- light
- low profile R1.1 rim (I think it's 21mm)
- cheaper than most wheels of that weight
- strong, thanks to sensible spoke count (28)
- easy to service (ie. don't need to be sent off to a factory)
- have arguably one of the best hubs available, the 240s.

DT Swiss supply components to many big name manufactureres including Bontrager.

When I ordered them, I got to choose the rim, hub, spoke and nipple combination...then they're built and delivered to your LBS. Not sure where you're from, but I'm sure you could access this sort of deal.

Walrus said:
I have DT Dwiss 1450's...
- light
- low profile R1.1 rim (I think it's 21mm)
- cheaper than most wheels of that weight
- strong, thanks to sensible spoke count (28)
- easy to service (ie. don't need to be sent off to a factory)
- have arguably one of the best hubs available, the 240s.

DT Swiss supply components to many big name manufactureres including Bontrager.

When I ordered them, I got to choose the rim, hub, spoke and nipple combination...then they're built and delivered to your LBS. Not sure where you're from, but I'm sure you could access this sort of deal.
Thanx for all the replies. I've chosen to go with www.oddsandendos.com and get some Swiss DT's built. Cheers.

littlefeat said:

Tune hubs with CD ceramics. Better than any boutique wheels.

littlefeat said:
Go for a conventional set of wheels and don't worry about the WT. If you race then save your good Zipps for race day. Shimano or Campy hubs with DT spokes 14/15 and Mavic open Pro rims would be a good choice. Call them your training wheels and use them on windy days. Go on eBay and you can usually find a set for a good price. I have had good luck on eBay having bought 5 wheel sets and every one was excellent... Good luck.