Who makes a good custom stem?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jens, Nov 26, 2005.

  1. Jens

    Jens Guest

    I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.

    I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
    shark)
    but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
    buying a custom frame that needs them.

    any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks, jens

    Tags:

  2. > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.

    > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
    > shark)
    > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
    > buying a custom frame that needs them.
    >
    > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thanks, jens

    Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's designed
    for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  3. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
    > >
    > > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
    > > shark)
    > > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
    > > buying a custom frame that needs them.
    > >
    > > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > thanks, jens

    > Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's designed
    > for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    This is for my latest position field test. Here's where I am:

    http://tinypic.com/ann4af.jpg

    Here's where I want to be:

    http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/obree7.jpg

    My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
    out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
    so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.

    -jens

  4. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Jens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > > > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
    > > >
    > > > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
    > > > shark)
    > > > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
    > > > buying a custom frame that needs them.
    > > >
    > > > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > thanks, jens

    > > Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's

    designed
    > > for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?
    > >
    > > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    > This is for my latest position field test. Here's where I am:
    >
    > http://tinypic.com/ann4af.jpg
    >
    > Here's where I want to be:
    >
    > http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/obree7.jpg
    >
    > My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
    > out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
    > so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.

    Talk to Bruce Gordon, he makes excellent stems:

    http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html

  5. Jens wrote:
    > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
    >
    > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
    > shark)
    > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
    > buying a custom frame that needs them.
    >
    > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > thanks, jens

    Give Mark Nobilette a call/

    http://www.nobilettecycles.com

  6. On 2005-11-26 22:35:51 -0500, "Jens" <[email protected]> said:
    > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
    > ..

    Bilenky Cycle Works would probably make one for you, if their frame
    backlog isn't too long. <http://www.bilenky.com>
    --
    -------
    Yoni Mazuz

  7. m-gineering

    m-gineering Guest

    Jens wrote:

    > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.

    with that much handlebar in front of the contactpatch you'd better not
    try riding out of the saddle. Certainly on a wet road you'll be riding a
    unicycle with no drive!
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  8. > My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
    > out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
    > so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.
    >

    > -jens

    Jens- For the application, the leverage probably isn't going to be an issue,
    especially since you're not going to be using a setup like that on a choppy
    road. How much longer is it than you're presently using? I'm curious as to
    stability; you're completely off the charts for anything resembling normal
    handling, but again, for the application, that's probably not an issue
    (don't think you'll be doing club rides with that setup!).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  9. Jens

    Jens Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    > > My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
    > > out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
    > > so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.
    > >

    > > -jens

    > Jens- For the application, the leverage probably isn't going to be an issue,
    > especially since you're not going to be using a setup like that on a choppy
    > road. How much longer is it than you're presently using? I'm curious as to
    > stability; you're completely off the charts for anything resembling normal
    > handling, but again, for the application, that's probably not an issue
    > (don't think you'll be doing club rides with that setup!).
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Thanks Mike.

    I'm currently riding a 140mm. As you can see in the picture, my hands
    are
    over the ends of the shifters. So I need another 3-4cm to really get
    there.
    Seems trivial, but I've seen a small change like 2cm increase in stem
    height raise drag by nearly 10%.

    I switch to the base bars for anything but very slight turns so
    handling
    isn't much of a problem. My elbows are pretty wide, so it's actually
    quite stable. I survive the bumps on Canada road fairly well this way.

    -jens

    -jens