Who makes a good custom stem?

Jens

Guest
I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.

I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
shark)
but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
buying a custom frame that needs them.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, jens

> I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
>
> I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
> shark)
> but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
> buying a custom frame that needs them.
>
> any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks, jens

Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's designed
for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
> >
> > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
> > shark)
> > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
> > buying a custom frame that needs them.
> >
> > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > thanks, jens

> Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's designed
> for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

This is for my latest position field test. Here's where I am:

http://tinypic.com/ann4af.jpg

Here's where I want to be:

http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/obree7.jpg

My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.

-jens

"Jens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > > I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
> > >
> > > I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
> > > shark)
> > > but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
> > > buying a custom frame that needs them.
> > >
> > > any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > thanks, jens

> > Jens: That might put more leverage on the steering column than it's

designed
> > for. Why do you need an 18cm stem, by the way?
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> > www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> This is for my latest position field test. Here's where I am:
>
> http://tinypic.com/ann4af.jpg
>
> Here's where I want to be:
>
> http://ida1.physik.uni-siegen.de/menn/obree7.jpg
>
> My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
> out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
> so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.

Talk to Bruce Gordon, he makes excellent stems:

http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html

Jens wrote:
> I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
>
> I've tried a couple of custom frame builders (vanilla bikes, land
> shark)
> but they either don't make them or only make them when you're
> buying a custom frame that needs them.
>
> any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks, jens

Give Mark Nobilette a call/

http://www.nobilettecycles.com

On 2005-11-26 22:35:51 -0500, "Jens" <[email protected]> said:
> I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.
> ..

Bilenky Cycle Works would probably make one for you, if their frame
backlog isn't too long. <http://www.bilenky.com>
--
-------
Yoni Mazuz

Jens wrote:

> I need a threadless stem that's about 18cm and -17 deg.

with that much handlebar in front of the contactpatch you'd better not
try riding out of the saddle. Certainly on a wet road you'll be riding a
unicycle with no drive!
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

> My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
> out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
> so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.
>

> -jens

Jens- For the application, the leverage probably isn't going to be an issue,
especially since you're not going to be using a setup like that on a choppy
road. How much longer is it than you're presently using? I'm curious as to
stability; you're completely off the charts for anything resembling normal
handling, but again, for the application, that's probably not an issue
(don't think you'll be doing club rides with that setup!).

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > My field-tested drag (CdA) has definitely improved with my arms further
> > out. Power is good and it's comfortable. I have only one tiny spacer,
> > so it seems like the leverage might not be that bad.
> >

> > -jens

> Jens- For the application, the leverage probably isn't going to be an issue,
> especially since you're not going to be using a setup like that on a choppy
> road. How much longer is it than you're presently using? I'm curious as to
> stability; you're completely off the charts for anything resembling normal
> handling, but again, for the application, that's probably not an issue
> (don't think you'll be doing club rides with that setup!).
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Thanks Mike.

I'm currently riding a 140mm. As you can see in the picture, my hands
are
over the ends of the shifters. So I need another 3-4cm to really get
there.
Seems trivial, but I've seen a small change like 2cm increase in stem
height raise drag by nearly 10%.

I switch to the base bars for anything but very slight turns so
handling
isn't much of a problem. My elbows are pretty wide, so it's actually
quite stable. I survive the bumps on Canada road fairly well this way.

-jens

-jens