Who makes a good steel frame touring bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Schwartz, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    manufacturer's I should look at?

Thanks,

David

Tags:

2. Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith Guest

3. > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?

Check out the TREK 520. It's steel, it's got nice components, it's got the required bar-cons instead
    of STI, and has been around for so long without major changes it's virtually forgotten about at most
    shops. It doesn't even change color very often. We're talking boringly reliable stuff here!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

4. Rich Clark

Rich Clark Guest

"David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on

Seems to me that most of the available classic style touring bikes are steel.

The less expensive ones ($750-900) include the Novara Randonee (REI stores), the Fuji Touring, and
    the Bianchi Volpe, with the Trek 520 topping the group at about $1k.

Then you move up to specialty brands like Bruce Gordon and Rivendell and Waterford.

RichC

5. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on

Check out the Fuji Touring or the Bianchi San Remo.

--
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

6. Mark

Mark Guest

news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David
    >
    Rivendell/Atlantis. www.rivendellbicycles.com

Rivendells are beautifully made custom lugged steel frames. Atlantis is their lugged steel
    production touring frame. There are others, but these are worth a look.
    --
    mark

7. Johnm

Johnm Guest

8. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:18:21 GMT, "JohnM" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Thorn.

Are you in the UK? There are a lot of good British makes, but I don't know wat the state of the art
    is like in the US of A. For my money Dawes is always good value.

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

9. John Everett

John Everett Guest

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:32:53 -0700, "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    >manufacturer's I should look at?

Two that I'm familiar with are the Trek 520 and the Fuji Touring Series. The components aren't
    top-of-the-line, but good quality for the most part.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

10. Jerbo

Jerbo Guest

news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

The Novarra Radonee from REI seems to be a pretty decent bike on the lower end of things. At least,
    I like mine, but I use it for commuting (10-15 mi each way) not touring. Steel frame and Shimano
    Tiagra components, $750 retail, but there are often sales.

-J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.