Who makes a good steel frame touring bike?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by David Schwartz, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    manufacturer's I should look at?

    Thanks,

    David

    Tags:

  2. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

  3. > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?

    Check out the TREK 520. It's steel, it's got nice components, it's got the required bar-cons instead
    of STI, and has been around for so long without major changes it's virtually forgotten about at most
    shops. It doesn't even change color very often. We're talking boringly reliable stuff here!

  4. Rich Clark

    Rich Clark Guest

    "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?

    Seems to me that most of the available classic style touring bikes are steel.

    The less expensive ones ($750-900) include the Novara Randonee (REI stores), the Fuji Touring, and
    the Bianchi Volpe, with the Trek 520 topping the group at about $1k.

    Then you move up to specialty brands like Bruce Gordon and Rivendell and Waterford.

    RichC

  5. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?

    Check out the Fuji Touring or the Bianchi San Remo.

  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

    Rivendell/Atlantis. www.rivendellbicycles.com

    Rivendells are beautifully made custom lugged steel frames. Atlantis is their lugged steel
    production touring frame. There are others, but these are worth a look.
    --
    mark

  7. Johnm

    Johnm Guest

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:18:21 GMT, "JohnM" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thorn.

    Are you in the UK? There are a lot of good British makes, but I don't know wat the state of the art
    is like in the US of A. For my money Dawes is always good value.

    Guy
    ===

  9. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:32:53 -0700, "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    >manufacturer's I should look at?

    Two that I'm familiar with are the Trek 520 and the Fuji Touring Series. The components aren't
    top-of-the-line, but good quality for the most part.

  10. Jerbo

    Jerbo Guest

    "David Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking for good quality components, but want a steel frame, not alum. Any idea on
    > manufacturer's I should look at?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David

    The Novarra Radonee from REI seems to be a pretty decent bike on the lower end of things. At least,
    I like mine, but I use it for commuting (10-15 mi each way) not touring. Steel frame and Shimano
    Tiagra components, $750 retail, but there are often sales.

    -J