Who makes a strong seat post?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bo Lind, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Bo Lind

    Bo Lind Guest

    Hi All,

    While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding in neither), I landed my 87
    kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very inelegant and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled
    seatpost... (about 5 to 10 degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)

    A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening in the field (have no
    offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so I'm looking for a new one.

    My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the weight, as a few grams
    won't make a difference once I have myself and 5 kgs of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being
    the one who bought a CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... ;).

    My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but are larger diameter posts
    more sturdy?

    Thanks in advance?

    Bo

    PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt. On the way home from the
    store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to the trails.

    Tags:

  2. Technician

    Technician Guest

    Bo Lind <[email protected]> spoke thusly...

    Check out Thomson. http://www.lhthomson.com/
    --
    ~Travis

    http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Bo Lind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snip>
    > My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the weight, as a few grams
    > won't make a difference once I have myself and 5
    kgs
    > of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a CamelBak, you get to haul
    > everybodys stuff... ;).
    >
    > My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but
    are
    > larger diameter posts more sturdy?

    All of our bikes use one:

    http://www.lhthomson.com/seatpost.asp

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding in neither), I landed my 87
    > kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very inelegant and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled
    > seatpost... (about 5 to 10 degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)
    >
    > A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening in the field (have no
    > offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so I'm looking for a new one.
    >
    > My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the weight, as a few grams
    > won't make a difference once I have myself and 5 kgs of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about
    > being the one who bought a CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... ;).
    >
    > My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but are larger diameter posts
    > more sturdy?
    >
    > Thanks in advance?
    >
    > Bo
    >
    > PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt. On the way home from the
    > store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to the trails.

    If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it for you if you do that again.
    --
    _________________________

  6. > My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but are larger diameter posts
    > more sturdy?

    Oh, and yes.

    --
    _________________________

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  8. Technician

    Technician Guest

  9. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

  10. David L

    David L Guest

    "Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding
    in
    > > neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very
    inelegant
    > > and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5 to
    10
    > > degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)
    > >
    > > A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening
    in
    > > the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so
    I'm
    > > looking for a new one.
    > >
    > > My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind
    the
    > > weight, as a few grams won't make a difference once I have myself and 5
    kgs
    > > of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about being the one who bought a CamelBak, you get to haul
    > > everybodys stuff... ;).
    > >
    > > My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but
    are
    > > larger diameter posts more sturdy?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance?
    > >
    > > Bo
    > >
    > > PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt.
    On
    > > the way home from the store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to
    the
    > > trails.
    > >

    > If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it for you if you do
    > that again.

    but you can't replace testicles (working), yet at least not yet...

    Dave

  11. Chris Phillipo wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >

    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls (succeeding in neither), I landed my 87
    >>kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very inelegant and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled
    >>seatpost... (about 5 to 10 degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)
    >>
    >>A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want happening in the field (have no
    >>offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...), so I'm looking for a new one.
    >>
    >>My question is this; what seat posts are strong? I don't so much mind the weight, as a few grams
    >>won't make a difference once I have myself and 5 kgs of stuff on it (The wonderful thing about
    >>being the one who bought a CamelBak, you get to haul everybodys stuff... ;).
    >>
    >>My frame takes 27.2 mm seatposts. I know that's not going to change, but are larger diameter posts
    >>more sturdy?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance?
    >>
    >>Bo
    >>
    >>PS: And to add insult to injury, I made a face plant today. On asphalt. On the way home from the
    >> store. So now I have a bfat lib. Morale: stick to the trails.
    >>

    >If you get a Titec knock rated seatpost at least they will replace it for you if you do that again.

    But then you face this issue: Titec, manufactor of other quite nice MTB bits, is ever stymied by the
    elusive seatpost. They just cannot get it right. Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1,
    that came fitted with a Titec x-wing seatpost. The past models all had a pathetically underdesigned
    clamp that broke. Often.

    Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the need to have a 5mm allen key
    AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust the stupid thing.

    Get a Thomson.

  12. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    John Morgan wrote:

    >>Check out Thomson. http://www.lhthomson.com/
    >>--
    >>~Travis
    >

    > Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?

  13. Shawn Curry

    Shawn Curry Guest

    Shawn Curry wrote:

    > John Morgan wrote:
    >
    >>> Check out Thomson. http://www.lhthomson.com/
    >>> --
    >>> ~Travis
    >>

    >> Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.
    >>
    >> -John Morgan
    >>

    > Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?

    Oh yeah, and get a Thomson Devil/Ayn Rand or not.

  14. Kent

    Kent Guest

    > >> Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.
    > >>
    > >> -John Morgan
    > >>

    > > Is this in regard to the Ayn Rand mission statement?
    > >
    > Oh yeah, and get a Thomson Devil/Ayn Rand or not.

    Thompson make good posts. So do many other manufactures. This statement stuff is poop, maybe the
    machine operator is a GOTH!!! Would this alter the way in which you ride? Maybe it would make you
    shoot someone? NO NO NO. I like X-Lite but only coz they all worship ME! ( that I found a one off
    post for £10 didn't really come into the equation honest ).

    Kent
    PS I don't like keyboards as I often type Kemt that for some reason reminds me of Kermit the Frog,
    maybe the Muppet show production company are all devil worshippers as well!

  15. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > > Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.
    > >
    > > -John Morgan
    > >

    > He could worship Santa for all I care. They make one tough post.
    >
    > Mike - dislexic devil worshiper ;^)

    It's true that they are tough. I had my bike mounted to the top of my car via a yakima rack, and I
    tried to park in a covered parking space in an apartment complex. Ugh.

    It ripped the rack off the car and severely dented the roof, as well as causing damage to the
    aluminum awning. The main point of impact was the saddle/seatpost... which amazingly were undamaged
    from the incident. It is a strong post indeed.

    -John Morgan

  16. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > > Yeah, too bad that guy worships the devil.
    > >
    > > -John Morgan
    >
    > Pardon?
    > --
    > ~Travis

    LOL-- oh that...

    One of the mechanics in the shop I work at met the guy who started Thomson seatposts just as they
    were getting started. He met him at a race, and even scored one of the first prototype Thomson
    posts. He said the guy is into devil worship.

    -John Morgan

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Bo Lind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My question is this; what seat posts are strong?
    >
    > Bo

    Everyone is way off; Thomson sucks ass.

    If you need setback, get this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32504 If not, get
    this: http://www.cambriabike.com/SALE/seatpost/raceface_xyo_post.htm If you are a total badass Dew
    rider, get this: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32508 And if you'd like to get
    the above, but are on a mildly limited budget, get this:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.asp?number=32506

    Chris

  18. > Over the weekend we bought my wife a Giant NRS1, that came fitted with a Titec x-wing seatpost.
    > The past models all had a pathetically underdesigned clamp that broke. Often.
    >
    > Now they've addressed the clamp, but in doing so have introduced the need to have a 5mm allen key
    > AND a 15mm open end wrench just to adjust the stupid thing.

    My X-Wing was okay - I replaced the clamp with the new one and it works fine. What do you need an
    open wrench for???

    The new clamp design is really for people who couldn't notice that the round washer wasn't actually
    round. Not paying attention, kinda brain-dead, etc.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  19. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Not sure if you can get them in the US easily, but in the UK - I got mine from Wiggle, but I've got
    a Roox S4.2. It really is a lovely thing too.

    http://www.roox.at/COMPONENTS/Roox_Components_Startpage.htm

    you can see from the pic that the post has a hole drilled through that actual tube, which a beefy
    metal rod passes through - then the twin bolts go through that to the clamping part at the top. You
    may think that a hole drilled through the post might weaken it - but internally the tube is thinner
    at the bottom but thickens considerably toward the top.

    Other nice feature are a practically scratchproof anodization which stops it from getting marked one
    removal/insertion. But even better are the 1cm markings along the length of the tube so you can see
    how far it is in the seat tube. Useful if you usually have 2 'settings' - one for the uphill grinds,
    the other for the downhill fun.

    All in all a great seatpost, and with plenty of choice of diameters...

    CandT

  20. Chris Snell

    Chris Snell Guest

    "Bo Lind" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > While trying to do a drop yesterday, to impress some girls
    (succeeding in
    > neither), I landed my 87 kilos on my poor KORE seatpost in a very
    inelegant
    > and brutal fashion, so now I have a nice angled seatpost... (about 5
    to 10
    > degrees I'd reckon, still rideable...)
    >
    > A breaking seatpost is probably one of the last things I want
    happening in
    > the field (have no offspring yet, so better protect 'em jewels...),
    so I'm
    > looking for a new one.
    >
    > My question is this; what seat posts are strong?
    >
    > Bo

    Old Syncros seatposts are quite good, if you can find one on ebay. New Syncros (after their sale to
    GT, and subsequent resales. Hopefully Tom Ritchey resurrects the old quality with the name)
    seatposts evidently suffered from quality issues. Old Syncros posts can be recognized by the
    lettering, where the letters are upright when the post is vertical, as opposed to the new ones,
    where the letters are upright when the post is horizontal. ie |S| |Y| |N| |C| |R| |O| |S| is old.

    Syncros mind you is strong and light, I'm afraid I can't help you with your strong and heavy search.