who makes a waterproof winter mtb shoe?

Me

Guest
Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.

Problem,

I've heard that the shimano sh101 winter shoes and the sidi storm mtbs aren't waterproof. This is
fairly important to me though I won't ride in the rain much, I just hate cold wet feet.

anyone make a shoe that I can feel confident of not getting water in unless it comes in from above
the collar?

if so, anyone know of a shop (im in bucks) that has a good selection of sizes instock so that I can
take a few pairs of socks and try a few on before I buy?

cheers,

anyone use a Lake MXZ300? are they waterproof?

who sells these shoes?

Me wrote:

> I've heard that the shimano sh101 winter shoes and the sidi storm mtbs aren't waterproof. This is
> fairly important to me though I won't ride in the rain much, I just hate cold wet feet.

I've not know people have problems with the SH101 although I've not tried them myself. I've used the
Northwave Artic winter boots and found them very good. You might also look at waterproof socks as an
alternative.

Tony

Me <[email protected]> wrote:

: I've heard that the shimano sh101 winter shoes and the sidi storm mtbs

I've got Shimano wh101's and they are as waterproof as any shoes without a goretex lining are
going to get.

The only other way to get dry fet is to fit some flatties and use some lightweight goretex lined
walking boots.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

"Me" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.
>
> Problem,
>
> I've heard that the shimano sh101 winter shoes and the sidi storm mtbs aren't waterproof. This is
> fairly important to me though I won't ride in the rain much, I just hate cold wet feet.
>
> anyone make a shoe that I can feel confident of not getting water in unless it comes in from above
> the collar?

Sidi.

Sidi make warm, comfortable, cozy, waterproof, outrageously colourful winter cycling boots such as
the pair I'm wearing at the moment. No, I'm not cycling. Yes, I am sitting at my desk trying to
pretend I'm working. I'm wearing them because they're comfortable and I can't be bothered to change
into somethign different.

Like all proper leather shoes, if you want them to stay waterproof you'll need to apply a good
dubbin like (for example) Nikwax.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

> Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.
>
> Problem,
>
> I've heard that the shimano sh101 winter shoes and the sidi storm mtbs aren't waterproof. This is
> fairly important to me though I won't ride in
the
> rain much, I just hate cold wet feet.
>
> anyone make a shoe that I can feel confident of not getting water in
unless
> it comes in from above the collar?
>
> if so, anyone know of a shop (im in bucks) that has a good selection of sizes instock so that I
> can take a few pairs of socks and try a few on before I buy?
>
> cheers,

I have the road version of the 101's and they are a revelation in winter comfort.

I bought them 2 sizes too big (45 vs 43) and can wear 2 pr of socks with comfort and a bit of room
to spare. My feet remain toasty and dry (apart from a bit of sweat) come rain or shine.

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.

I use Shimano W100 boots when it's cold (by then most trails are wet even if it's not actually
raining) and can vouch for their warmth and dryness. Some water can eventually seep down the top,
think hours, but they remain warm. When it's just wet but mild I use Goretex socks with mtb shoes,
works fine.

Pete

Me wrote:

> anyone use a Lake MXZ300? are they waterproof?

Lake? Waterproof? Nope, no pun there. Move along, nothing to see here...

--
Guy
===

> I've not know people have problems with the SH101 although I've not tried them myself. I've used
> the Northwave Artic winter boots and found them very good. You might also look at waterproof socks
> as an alternative.

I use these NWArctics and they are warm but the neoprene gets soaked given the opportunity and is
hard to dry so I wear goretex hiking gaitors on top which solves the problem.You can now get a
variety of notneoprene spats and gaitors for cycling which would have the desired effect.Some cover
the shoe and calf. One might do that over ordinary cycle shoes and then when you got really drenched
they would be easier to dry. I would get breathable waterproof gaitors because non breatheable gets
very sweaty. terryJ

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.

Just get some goretex socks and wear them between existing socks and existing shoes. Much cheaper
and they are excellent. Used ot use them all the time when I was a squaddy.

In message <[email protected]>, Ric <[email protected]> writes

>"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hi, I'm looking for a quality winter mtb shoe to use out on the trails and roads with my spds.
>
>Just get some goretex socks and wear them between existing socks and existing shoes. Much cheaper
>and they are excellent. Used ot use them all the time when I was a squaddy.

It's not just the rain, it's the riding through puddles. Especially if some male fellow-rider feels
he has to pass you in the puddle, and his bow-wave goes all over you, and you have to retaliate in
the next puddle, and so on all the way to the pub. The first time a group rides through a
hedge-to-hedge icy puddle, you can tell who hasn't got waterproof socks by their cries of pain.

I use Porelle Drys, the longer version, with my tights pulled down over them. Then it doesn't matter
if water floods into my boots, my feet will stay warm and generally dry. They've done three winters,
I might have to replace them this year.
--
Sue ];:))

Gravity - it's not just a good idea, it's the law.

I recently bought a pair of neoprene booties made by BBB. They have 3mm Neoprene seemed pretty toasty when I tested them on a -2C day recently and being neoprene, must be pretty waterproof.

BBB stuff should be pretty easy to find from various online suppliers depending upon where is best for you to order from.

On 13 Nov 2003 11:38:49 +1050, Ratface <[email protected]> wrote:

>I recently bought a pair of neoprene booties made by BBB. They have 3mm Neoprene seemed pretty
>toasty when I tested them on a -2C day recently and being neoprene, must be pretty waterproof.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, neoprene is not waterproof: it is simply a
material that feels warm when wet.

--
Sig got lost during a reinstall

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 13 Nov 2003 11:38:49 +1050, Ratface <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a pair of neoprene booties made by BBB. They have 3mm Neoprene seemed pretty
> >toasty when I tested them on a -2C day recently and being neoprene, must be pretty waterproof.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, neoprene is not waterproof: it is simply a
> material that feels warm when wet.

Sheet neoprene is waterproof, however in a wetsuit the big holes (where you put your feet, hands,
head etc) let the water in, as do the zips and seams. Hence wet bit of 'warm when wet'. It doesn't
let that much flow in/out, which is why what is in stays warm.

With a lot more care and better seals, you can make a drysuit, which as the name implies is
waterproof.

The booties will mostly leak through the hole in the top where your leg goes and the holes in the
bottom where the pedal goes. But if you're careful you can keep the amount that comes in from these
down, so you do get dry feet.

cheers, clive

(neoprene booties now in the no-longer-used cupboard - W100s for me)

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, neoprene is not waterproof: it is simply a
> material that feels warm when wet.

Neoprene as used in wetsuits, overshoes etc is a closed cell material which gives it its insulation
properties and is also fully waterproof. The key is to minimise water ingress where limbs etc poke
through. A well constructed neoprene suit is in fact referred to as a dry suit if it has a
watertight zip, semi-dry if it has a minimum water penetration zip and "steamer" <1> if a normal zip
is used. The seams of all types are waterproofed by being butt glued and in some cases heat taped.
<1> Named after Steamer Point, a surf break, by O'Neill IIRC.

Pete