Who makes the best Helmets

Neil Watson

Guest
Who is the rolls royce of bicycle helmets ?

I want to buy a good one.

Met or Giro ?

On Tue, 4 May 2004 20:46:54 +1000, Neil Watson said (and I quote):
> Who is the rolls royce of bicycle helmets ?
>
> I want to buy a good one.
>
> Met or Giro ?

Shouldn't you just buy the brand that fits the best? Heads
are different shapes, and so are helmets.
--
What was I thinking?

I've owned both and it's a tough to choose between them. It comes down to what you think looks coolest. For me it's Giro (also slightly cooler heat wise).

my 2¢

Originally posted by Dominic Sansom
I've owned both and it's a tough to choose between them. It comes down to what you think looks coolest. For me it's Giro (also slightly cooler heat wise).

my 2¢

lovin my Lima. was $175 but as I use it every day, worth it!

very comfortable and adjustable/light/cool-air-wise

my 2c worth...

go the comfort/durability route and ask if you can get replaceable padding bits as they are a pain when 'gone' or worn out

but most important of all (no cfsmtb they dont come in 'hello-kitty-designs!) the red ones go faster!!!

I can recommend Limar Helmets, tested one a couple of weeks
ago, it's broken now but most likely saved my life.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Dominic Sansom wrote:
> > I've owned both and it's a tough to choose between
> > them. It comes down to what you think looks coolest.
> > For me it's Giro (also slightly
cooler
> > heat wise). my 2¢
>

> lovin my Lima. was $175 but as I use it every day,
> worth it!
>
> very comfortable and adjustable/light/cool-air-wise
>
> my 2c worth...
>
> go the comfort/durability route and ask if you can get
> replaceable padding bits as they are a pain when 'gone' or
> worn out
>
> but most important of all (no cfsmtb they dont come in 'hello-kitty-
> designs!) the red ones go faster!!!
>

> --

The "micro lock" (the part at the back which you adjust so
the helmet fits) has pretty much fallen apart and I am
struggling to find a replacement part.

I would definitely ask for a second set of all the padding
and micro lock at purchase before I bought one of these
helmets again.

Peter

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4098758c$1@info-
mid...
> I can recommend Limar Helmets, tested one a couple of
> weeks ago, it's
broken
> now but most likely saved my life.
>

> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > Dominic Sansom wrote:
> > > I've owned both and it's a tough to choose between
> > > them. It comes
down
> > > to what you think looks coolest. For me it's Giro
> > > (also slightly
> cooler
> > > heat wise). my 2¢
> >

> > lovin my Lima. was $175 but as I use it every day,
> > worth it!
> >
> > very comfortable and adjustable/light/cool-air-wise
> >
> > my 2c worth...
> >
> > go the comfort/durability route and ask if you can get
> > replaceable padding bits as they are a pain when 'gone'
> > or worn out
> >
> > but most important of all (no cfsmtb they dont come in
> > 'hello-kitty- designs!) the red ones go faster!!!
> >

> > --

Originally posted by Neil Watson
Who is the rolls royce of bicycle helmets ?

I want to buy a good one.

Met or Giro ?

My LBS (local to where I work) owner said that Giro and Lazer helmets have not gone through Australia Standards testing and have therefore not been OZ standards approved. So the ones we see out on the road have been purchased by mail order.

Other helmets like Met and Limar are approved. Met was approved a long time before Limar and therefore have had a big head start on the other helment brands. I personally like the Limar 909 design over Met. The Met helmets look like they're got horns when viewed from the front.

Originally posted by jazmo
My LBS (local to where I work) owner said that Giro and Lazer helmets have not gone through Australia Standards testing and have therefore not been OZ standards approved. So the ones we see out on the road have been purchased by mail order.

Other helmets like Met and Limar are approved. Met was approved a long time before Limar and therefore have had a big head start on the other helment brands. I personally like the Limar 909 design over Met. The Met helmets look like they're got horns when viewed from the front.

Just so you know the reason that the Giro and Lazer helmets are not sold in Oz is because they do not meet Australian Standard. The Australian standard is a lot stricter on materials, impact rating, etc and Giro and Lazer dont feel the need to meet them.

I would suggest Lima or Met. I have had 2 Met's both of which saved my head in a big way. The last time i got a discount from my LBS so that they could use the rements for a display.

Originally posted by jcjordan
Just so you know the reason that the Giro and Lazer helmets are not sold in Oz is because they do not meet Australian Standard. The Australian standard is a lot stricter on materials, impact rating, etc and Giro and Lazer dont feel the need to meet them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is illegal (in Australia) to wear them cycling but you CAN wear them for racing??? I maybe totally off track but I'm sure I read this somewhere. I purchased a Giro Pneumo in Australia and it has a sticker saying it did not meet Aust Standards.

Can someone enlighten us?

jcjordan wrote:

> Just so you know the reason that the Giro and Lazer
> helmets are not sold in Oz is because they do not meet
> Australian Standard. The Australian standard is a lot
> stricter on materials, impact rating, etc and Giro and
> Lazer dont feel the need to meet them.

Hang on. Giro helmet's ARE sold in Australia and DO meet
Australian standards. I've got a Giro E2 with the standards
sticker on it and they have a number of other models that
have passed testing too.

Phil

"Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jcjordan wrote:
> >
> > Just so you know the reason that the Giro and Lazer
> > helmets are not
sold
> > in Oz is because they do not meet Australian
> > Standard. The
Australian
> > standard is a lot stricter on materials, impact rating,
> > etc and Giro and Lazer dont feel the need to meet them.
>
> Hang on. Giro helmet's ARE sold in Australia and DO meet
> Australian standards. I've got a Giro E2 with the
> standards sticker on it and
they have
> a number of other models that have passed testing too.

I've seen some Giro helmets in shops that do NOT meet
Australian Standards. I think the shop is obliged to inform
you of this and you are allowed to use them for 'race use
only' or similar (feel free to correct me). I didn't know
that Giro was getting Aus standard certification now - are
you sure it's not just the Euro or US standards sticker? One
of the reasons I didn't buy one a while back was their lack
of Aus standard. This, of course, may have changed?

hippy

hippy wrote:

> I've seen some Giro helmets in shops that do NOT meet
> Australian Standards. I think the shop is obliged to
> inform you of this and you are allowed to use them for
> 'race use only' or similar (feel free to correct me).

Very strange. I've never seen these. I know for motorcycle
racing you need an Aus standards sticker on the helmet to be
allowed to compete. This is obviously different for at least
some bicycle racing.

> I didn't know that Giro was getting Aus standard
> certification now - are you sure it's not just the Euro or
> US standards sticker?

100% positive. I even read a review of the E2 in an Aussie
mag and they mentioned how they had to change the design of
the straps slightly to get it passed Aus standards approval.
A friend also has an Exodus which he bought about 3-4 years
ago and it's got Aus standards approval too. Maybe they
haven't got as many (any?) road helmets passed?

> One of the reasons I didn't buy one a while back was their
> lack of Aus standard. This, of course, may have changed?

Looks like it has. From the article apparantly it comes down
to how many of a particular model they think they can sell
to the local market. They have to submit a few for initial
testing and one out of every 50 or 100 sold. The whole
process costs a fair bit so they have to be pretty sure
they're going to sell enough helmets to recover the cost.

Phil

Of the three 'nice looking' helmets I've had, one has been a Limar and the last two have been Selevs.

The Limar was a nice helmet but the straps and head retention thingy fell apart pretty quickly; less than a year.

The next helmet I got was a Selev Alien. This was a beautiful, comfortable helmet and I loved it dearly. Sadly, crashed it and had to get another replacement. Because of the extremely high quality of the Alien, I decided to go for another Selev. This time, a...

Selev Atom, in fdjeux.com colours. Another beautiful, stylish and comfortable helmet, although perhaps not as comfortable as the Alien. I am a source of envy of all of my training buddies with this helmet because it is a really cool looking helmet (especially the vents on the back!) and has the fdjeux theme going on too. Whilst other helmets might tempt me, if I had to buy another helmet, I'd probably go for this one again. (with the possible exception of an Euskadi Cateye, or maybe a sexay new Giro)

In conclusion, I believe that Selev's are the best helmet out there. You can't buy them in Australia, (I've had to get both of them from the UK), but they are to my mind sweet lookin', comfy and safe.

My personal opinion. :)

>Originally posted by Etxy
>In conclusion, I believe that Selev's are the best helmet out >there. You can't buy them in Australia, (I've had to get both of >them from the UK), but they are to my mind sweet lookin', comfy >and safe.

How'd you go with sizing, buying from the UK?

I mean, you can match the 'X'cm size with other helmets but
the actual shape might differ. e.g. I found the MET Anaxagore to be really good except for a bulge at the back which made it totally uncomfortable. I ended up with a MET Ippogriffo, which didn't have the bulge at the back - but I'd never know this unless I tried it on.

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
How'd you go with sizing, buying from the UK?
[/B]

I hoped and prayed and hoped some more that they'd fit. Sure, they could have been completely the wrong shape for my head. But as luck would have it, they weren't. I figured that if they were seriously uncomfortable, I'd just sell them and try again. :-D

By the way, Welcome Back!

>Originally posted by Etxy
>By the way, Welcome Back!

Cheers!

Are you racing during winter? Going to enter some of the longer road races or some of the junior carnivals? Ararat Jun 5/6, Country Road Champs Jul 3, Metro Road Champs Jul 4, 100k Champs Jul 11, etc??

hippy

Originally posted by hippy
>Originally posted by Etxy
>By the way, Welcome Back!

Cheers!

Are you racing during winter? Going to enter some of the longer road races or some of the junior carnivals? Ararat Jun 5/6, Country Road Champs Jul 3, Metro Road Champs Jul 4, 100k Champs Jul 11, etc??

hippy

I'll put it this way, haven't ridden my road bike in 6 weeks and rode my mountain bike for the first time in a month yesterday. ;-) Nah, I think I'll start off with some METEC crits or something, if I ride at all over the winter, and then see what my form's like. So the answer to your question is- Maybe. ;-)

I've also been having doubts over whether I want to keep cycling at all... my confidence on the bike has taken a beating after nearly seeing a mate get run over in a road-rage attack, I also have a complete lack of motivation. Noone tells me to ride, so I don't ride. I only ride when I'm in one of those teen-angsty kinda moods, y'know, the kind where you LOOK FORWARD to the 1/20. :p I've been holding off on selling my road bike because I'm hoping this is just a phase that'll pass. But at the moment, sadly, my cycling is at a complete dead end. :mad: Sure, I love watching it, reading about it, talking about it, but actually getting out there and riding is beyond me at the moment. It's really quite pathetic! :-(

What races are you doing at the moment Stu? Or are you just building up form before making your big comeback? :-D

Originally posted by Etxy

I've also been having doubts over whether I want to keep cycling at all...

I don't mean to butt into a private chat Etxy, Hippy... but I know how you feel, for very different reasons.

I had DVT (Feb 03) in my left leg and because of a misdiagnosis by a doctor it is permanently swollen and painfull.

My confidence was shot because the medication I'm on (probably for the rest of my life) slows don't the blood clotting process. So bleeding to death from a relatively minor cut or bump on the head is a real possibility.

I sold my beautiful bike (practically gave it away) because I thought I'd never cycle again.

Just before Christmas last year I thought F@#K it, I'm not going to let the fear stop me from doing something I love. The pain... well that's part of cycling init!

I discovered there is a GOOD side to selling your bike... BUYING A NEW ONE!

I bought 2! The first was a hybrid as I didn't want shell out big $$$ for something I may not be able to ride. But after a couple of months (and the dramatic improvement of my leg - because of the cycling) I sold that and went through the renewed joy of buying another bike - faster, lighter, cooooooler.

Sh#t... this started off as a simple few words of encouagment... sorry...

My 2¢... if you really feel like selling your bike , do it! Keep reading the mags and watching races... you'll soon see something you'll want to ride....then buy it.

"Dominic Sansom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Etxy wrote:
> > I've also been having doubts over whether I want to
> > keep cycling
> at > all...
>
> I don't mean to butt into a private chat

There's no such thing on Usenet.

--

A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

The brand who makes the model that fits you best (different
from person to person, of course)

90% of helmet protection is in the fitting.