Who Makes the "High-End", "Top Shelf" FS Mountain Bike Frames?

Hkek

Guest
I am depressed. Once again, my frame has broken. I can't take the down time.

I am (was) riding a full suspension frame with a classic four-bar linkage. I was fairly satisfied my
frameset, but this weekend I met a rider on a four-bar frame made by Titus, the Racer X. From a
distance, the configuration of this frame looks just like mine; however, closeup, it makes my frame
look like it came out of a Cracker Jack box!

I was so impressed with the construction details of the Titus frame, it is obvious that the
mechanical design and fabrication are at a much higher standard than the mass produced framesets.
The failures that I have experienced with my frame (and the excessive "slop" in the suspension)
would never occur with the Titus frameset.

My question: Who's on the short list of manufacturers making the highest quality, technically
outstanding FS MTB framesets?

"HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am depressed. Once again, my frame has broken. I can't take the down time.
>
> I am (was) riding a full suspension frame with a classic four-bar linkage. I was fairly satisfied
> my frameset, but this weekend I met a rider on a four-bar frame made by Titus, the Racer X. From a
> distance, the configuration of this frame looks just like mine; however, closeup, it makes my
> frame look like it came out of a Cracker Jack box!

In order to evaluate options for you, we need to know exactly which brand/model/year bike you were
riding, and how much you weigh.

> I was so impressed with the construction details of the Titus frame, it is obvious that the
> mechanical design and fabrication are at a much higher standard than the mass produced framesets.
> The failures that I have experienced with my frame (and the excessive "slop" in the suspension)
> would never occur with the Titus frameset.

There is no guarantee that prettier welds and more expensive tubing means less suspension slop
than mass-produced bikes. Some of the recent-model Specialized FSR bikes (which are
mass-produced) come with sealed needle-bearing pivots, for instance, which is about as good as it
gets for pivot precision. BTW: All full-suspension bikes require periodic maintenance. If you
ride them hard, or frequently, you *will* experience pivot slop. Doesn't matter which bike, or
how much you paid for it.

> My question: Who's on the short list of manufacturers making the highest quality, technically
> outstanding FS MTB framesets?

Pick up a copy of any MTB magazine, or check out MTBR.com or www.mountainbike.com. There's no
shortage of reviews for high-end full-suspension bikes. Of course, in these days of high
specialization, you'll need to figure out what you intend to do with the bike. Dual slalom
(DS)? Freeride (FR)? Downhill (DH)? Cross-country (XC)? Since you mentioned 4-bar linkage, I'm
guessing that you're a general cross-country rider.

Perhaps a better question than "who are the top brands?" would be "what are the most effective
suspension designs?" If you're just looking to unload some excess cash in trade for a pretty bike,
there are numerous options. If what you want is the best suspension bike, it may not be the most
expensive or exclusive.

Barry

coolmate-<< My question: Who's on the short list of manufacturers making the highest quality,
technically outstanding FS MTB framesets? >><BR><BR>

Maverick-

"HKEK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My question: Who's on the short list of manufacturers making the highest quality, technically
> outstanding FS MTB framesets?

Check out:

www.ventanausa.com El Saltamontes, El Fuego

www.sycip.com Double Dribble.