Who makes the sallde for Jamis' Coda?

SMC

Guest
Hello,

Sorry if this is a little OT. I know it's not exactly a technical
question, but out of all the rec.bicycles groups I see the most
component discussion here and I wasn't sure where else to post this.

A friend recently got a new Raliegh Route 1. It's a great bike, but he
doesn't like the saddle. On a long ride we swapped bikes for a while,
and he really likes the saddle on my '06 Jamis Coda (not Comp or Sport,
just the plain base-model Coda).

He'd like to get one, but the problem is that the saddle carries just
the Jamis 'J' logo and there's no clue as to who made it for Jamis.

If there's another Coda owner out there who recognized their saddle
from somewhere else, or if anybody knows of a resource that indicated
where the various manufacturers get their parts, it would be most
useful.

Thanks,

Sean Cunningham

SMC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this is a little OT. I know it's not exactly a technical
> question, but out of all the rec.bicycles groups I see the most
> component discussion here and I wasn't sure where else to post this.
>
> A friend recently got a new Raliegh Route 1. It's a great bike, but he
> doesn't like the saddle. On a long ride we swapped bikes for a while,
> and he really likes the saddle on my '06 Jamis Coda (not Comp or
> Sport, just the plain base-model Coda).
>
> He'd like to get one, but the problem is that the saddle carries just
> the Jamis 'J' logo and there's no clue as to who made it for Jamis.
>
> If there's another Coda owner out there who recognized their saddle
> from somewhere else, or if anybody knows of a resource that indicated
> where the various manufacturers get their parts, it would be most
> useful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean Cunningham

Velo makes many of the OEM saddles out there. If you can take your saddle
off (or seatpost out if you're not particular about saddle height), look at
the plastic shell underneath. Usually the manufacturer has their own logo
embossed on it. Let us know what you find.
--
Phil Lee, Squid

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

> Velo makes many of the OEM saddles out there. If you can take your
> saddle off (or seatpost out if you're not particular about saddle
> height), look at the plastic shell underneath. Usually the
> manufacturer has their own logo embossed on it. Let us know what you
> find.

OK, no one else has said it so I will: CONGRATS ON ACHIEVING FULL SQUIDITY,
PHIL! (Squididity?!?)

Recognizant Sorni

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
>
>> Velo makes many of the OEM saddles out there. If you can take your
>> saddle off (or seatpost out if you're not particular about saddle
>> height), look at the plastic shell underneath. Usually the
>> manufacturer has their own logo embossed on it. Let us know what you
>> find.

> OK, no one else has said it so I will: CONGRATS ON ACHIEVING FULL
> SQUIDITY, PHIL! (Squididity?!?)
>
> Recognizant Sorni

Thanks. My first real job (intern job at a desk) and the requirement for
commuting in a car for many miles and the corresponding lack of exercise has
made me realize I am no longer in training. ;)
--
Phil Lee, Squid

No logo on the plastic. I did find a sticker with the number '2603-1'
printed on it. I googled this, and got a ton of results. I tried the
number plus 'sallde' and got no results :(

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:

> Velo makes many of the OEM saddles out there. If you can take your saddle
> off (or seatpost out if you're not particular about saddle height), look at
> the plastic shell underneath. Usually the manufacturer has their own logo
> embossed on it. Let us know what you find.
> --
> Phil Lee, Squid

On 9 Jul 2006 20:14:34 -0700, "SMC" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>No logo on the plastic. I did find a sticker with the number '2603-1'
>printed on it. I googled this, and got a ton of results. I tried the
>number plus 'sallde' and got no results :(
>

>Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
>

>> Velo makes many of the OEM saddles out there. If you can take your saddle
>> off (or seatpost out if you're not particular about saddle height), look at
>> the plastic shell underneath. Usually the manufacturer has their own logo
>> embossed on it. Let us know what you find.
>> --
>> Phil Lee, Squid

Dear Sean,

"Sallde" is probably just a mildly impressive typo for "saddle".

Google for "sallde river" and "saddle river" to see how few dyslexics
live in Jersey New:

http://www.google.com/search?q="sallde+river"&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all

http://www.google.com/search?q="saddle+river"&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all

(I forbear the obvious infantile semitic Spoonerism.)

(And I forbear to point out the child-like pun above.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

SMC wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry if this is a little OT. I know it's not exactly a technical
> question, but out of all the rec.bicycles groups I see the most
> component discussion here and I wasn't sure where else to post this.
>
> A friend recently got a new Raliegh Route 1. It's a great bike, but he
> doesn't like the saddle. On a long ride we swapped bikes for a while,
> and he really likes the saddle on my '06 Jamis Coda (not Comp or Sport,
> just the plain base-model Coda).
>
> He'd like to get one, but the problem is that the saddle carries just
> the Jamis 'J' logo and there's no clue as to who made it for Jamis.
>
> If there's another Coda owner out there who recognized their saddle
> from somewhere else, or if anybody knows of a resource that indicated
> where the various manufacturers get their parts, it would be most
> useful.

Go to a Jamis dealer and find out if they either have an extra
saddle, or a saddle that they took off a new bike when the
customer wanted to change to his/her preferred 3rd party
saddle. Bike shops sometimes have a box of these takeoff
saddles for sale cheap. Or maybe they can get one from
Jamis for you.

On 9 Jul 2006 14:31:51 -0700, "SMC" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Sorry if this is a little OT. I know it's not exactly a technical
>question, but out of all the rec.bicycles groups I see the most
>component discussion here and I wasn't sure where else to post this.
>
>A friend recently got a new Raliegh Route 1. It's a great bike, but he
>doesn't like the saddle. On a long ride we swapped bikes for a while,
>and he really likes the saddle on my '06 Jamis Coda (not Comp or Sport,
>just the plain base-model Coda).
>
>He'd like to get one, but the problem is that the saddle carries just
>the Jamis 'J' logo and there's no clue as to who made it for Jamis.

Would it be too difficult to simply have a Jamis dealer order one as a
replacement part? (The cost might be unattractive; there's one way to
find out...)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

> Dear Sean,
>
> "Sallde" is probably just a mildly impressive typo for "saddle".
>
> Google for "sallde river" and "saddle river" to see how few dyslexics
> live in Jersey New:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q="sallde+river"&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q="saddle+river"&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all
>
> (I forbear the obvious infantile semitic Spoonerism.)
>
> (And I forbear to point out the child-like pun above.)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

What's most impressive is that I made the same typo twice, and the
second one was made well after I made and noticed the first typo.

Looking at my Google search history shows that I did not make the same
mistake while searching.

So it looks like I'll be asking about a take-off or a new replacement
saddle next time I'm in the LBS.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.