Who manufactures Douglas Ti frames?

DesertRider

Nov 6, 2003
Does anyone know who actually builds these Ti frames? They look an awful lot like the old Merckx Ti. ABG I suspect.

Originally posted by DesertRider
Does anyone know who actually builds these Ti frames? They look an awful lot like the old Merckx Ti. ABG I suspect.
hey desert rider......ealier today i posted something here asking about these frames as well. last i checked they were made by TST,titanium sports technologies,in washington state. they also have made frames for fisher,bontrager,fuji,yeti,diamondback,mongoose,etc. i actually have a 2001 56 cm. douglass with 1 in. headset that i built up for racing.it's much more flexy than my CAAD 4, but after getting used to that,i like it. i'm trying to find out more about them myself,but it ain't going too well.i'm considering a very high end TI bike sometime soon, and am just checking all the angles. i know some of the merckx TI frames were made by litespeed. anyway, you can check them out at titaniumsports.com.

Thanks for the info. I did check out their site. After I posted my question, I searched past threads and found the same answer you gave. I think the Merckx/Litespeed connection is over. The Merckx site no longer lists any Ti. I have wanted to build a Litespeed Classic for years and am about ready to buy the frame(already have all desired components) only to find out that they won't sell just Classic frames anymore. Complete bike only. So I'm searching for alternatives in Titanium. 2K is my max budget, therefore Merlin,Moots,Guru are out. I'm 36 and going to triple C/R so the frame needs to be somewhat compatible so I don't have to use a really long BB. Also need 27.2 s/post and 1 1/8 h/tube. Thats why I think the Douglas would be the answer.

Thanks for the info. I did check out their site. After I posted my question, I searched past threads and found the same answer you gave. I think the Merckx/Litespeed connection is over. The Merckx site no longer lists any Ti. I have wanted to build a Litespeed Classic for years and am about ready to buy the frame(already have all desired components) only to find out that they won't sell just Classic frames anymore. Complete bike only. So I'm searching for alternatives in Titanium. 2K is my max budget, therefore Merlin,Moots,Guru are out. I'm 36 and going to triple C/R so the frame needs to be somewhat compatible so I don't have to use a really long BB. Also need 27.2 s/post and 1 1/8 h/tube. Thats why I think the Douglas would be the answer.
yeah,the standard headtube appeals to me also. i really don't like the integrated/internal headsets everyone's forcing us into. i'm thinking with the douglass,of upgrading to dura/ace crank,deraileurs,and shifters and a king headset.with the velomax's,that'll be one killer bike for a little over 2 grand. i've been looking at a couple merlin frames on sale at excel,also. really tearing my hair out lately.i sent e-mail to co. cyclist asking for some more details on the TST/douglass frame. if anything of interest shows up,i'll post here tomorrow,so check back.

douglas frame/bike are sold thru colordo cyclist.
they might be able to tell which asian company makes.

ds

Originally posted by hideano
douglas frame/bike are sold thru colordo cyclist.
they might be able to tell which asian company makes.

ds
yeah,bro...i think everyone knows that, since you can't find one anywhere without going through colrado cyclist. and they're not,and never have been made in asia. don't mean to be a smartass, but you gotta read the whole thread before posting. they are, or at least were,made by TST,in washington state.coincidentally, i was just e-mailing with colorado cyclist today, and "chad" said the manufacturing company is actually owned by litespeed.i asked him if TST was owned by litespeed,or was another company now manufacturing the douglass frames,but i haven't heard back yet.

The info posted so far is partially correct. The 3/2.5 are made in the State of Washington. The Precision 6/4 is made by Litespeed. This is coming from the direct source...I was in there outlet store in the Springs yesterday and asked...I had the chance to compare the Precision 6/4 side by side with the Litespeed Vortex. The geometry and tubing looked identical..the difference only being in the rear triangle...hope that helps

Look at sevencycles.com. Bought the Alaris. Incredible bike.

L

So you feel the Seven is worth DOUBLE the money? $999 vs. $1999? Just as the Vortex is $1250 more(better) than the Precision 6/4? Remember, we are talking about a few feet of titanium which is produced in mass quantities.

So you feel the Seven is worth DOUBLE the money? $999 vs. $1999? Just as the Vortex is $1250 more(better) than the Precision 6/4? Remember, we are talking about a few feet of titanium which is produced in mass quantities.

Absolutely.

I am not interested in 6/4 for my type of riding. Long and steep. There are two things that formulated my decision.

1. Fit. My bike fits like a glove. Whether I do 50 miles with 6000 ft. alt gain or a century. I get off my bike and am not beat up. Extremely comfortable. I would have bought a Merlin or a Litespeed however they do not have custom sizes where I can just buy a frame. (Wanted CF Bars and Topolinos, etc.) I also am a little older and want to remain in a more upright position.

2.) Experienced technology. Seven has it down. I paid for R & D and got an incredible piece of quality. Could not be happier.

If the Precision fits and the ride is what you are looking for then buy it. I had a budget to work within as well. My Alaris, which is rather on their low end, is more that I could ever want or need. Love the bike and I don't give a damn about brand names, sexy wheels, etc., just quality and that's what I got.

L

Good philosophy! That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I have not yet decided. Concerning fit, when a frame builders advertised specs and geometries are identical to anothers, how is it that the more expensive frame is always said to feel better?

Good philosophy! That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I have not yet decided. Concerning fit, when a frame builders advertised specs and geometries are identical to anothers, how is it that the more expensive frame is always said to feel better?

I have no idea nor do I place a lot of faith in good marketing. The most important thing is to ride the bike! I don't pay attention to those details unless I am going to buy a bike that I know is going to be my exact geometry for my style of riding.

Buy what feels best within your price range and riding style.

L

Originally posted by larpup
I have no idea nor do I place a lot of faith in good marketing. The most important thing is to ride the bike! I don't pay attention to those details unless I am going to buy a bike that I know is going to be my exact geometry for my style of riding.

Buy what feels best within your price range and riding style.

L
In the case of the Douglas, I would have to go to the Springs to test ride. I was there in '99(love to live there)but the Douglas line was not established yet. I have been to most of the high end bike shops in SoCal and to find a Litespeed on the floor is rare, let alone a 61cm Classic to ride. How did you get access to these machines to test?

In the case of the Douglas, I would have to go to the Springs to test ride. I was there in '99(love to live there)but the Douglas line was not established yet. I have been to most of the high end bike shops in SoCal and to find a Litespeed on the floor is rare, let alone a 61cm Classic to ride. How did you get access to these machines to test?

I know what you mean. Where in So Cal? I ride the Santa Monica mtns and my LBS is Bicycle Johns. Got a very good deal and the service is terrific. I highly recommend them.

John loans you a bike so you can ride it for a week or so. Then make your decision. Thats what you need from an LBS. To me, spending any (decent) amt. of money on a bike is (to me) rediculous unless you ride it. If you ride a bike on one of your favorite rides, you can then make a sensible judgement about your purchase. If you don't like it, try another...

L

L

Wow! That is nice. I've been to some stores that are apprehensive about letting you ride anything high end in their parking lot, but a loaner? Out of the question! I'm in Apple Valley, 10 mi. north of Lake Arrowhead, but in the desert. 3000ft. elev.

Wow! That is nice. I've been to some stores that are apprehensive about letting you ride anything high end in their parking lot, but a loaner? Out of the question! I'm in Apple Valley, 10 mi. north of Lake Arrowhead, but in the desert. 3000ft. elev.
I would call John and see what can be arranged.

His number is (818) 848-8330. You can mention that you read my thread.. Larry E. My friend borrowed a bike for a week (Seven) ending up buying one too. Check it out.. Good luck...

TST has their titanium frames subcontracted by a company in Asia. Not that there is anything wrong with that. They welds are flawless.

From www.titaniumsports.com/frames.html

"All frames are made in the U.S.A in Kennewick, Washington using cold relieved Ti-3%Al-2.5%V seamless tubing, the same tubing used in aerospace high pressure hydraulic systems"

Is this the same company as TST?