Who rides 2x/day? if so, what type of rides?

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
I ride twice a day quite a bit. Maybe 3x a week. Is there any danger in doing this? 2nd ride is usually at night when I can squeeze a quick 15-25kms in. Not long or far at all. My 2 rides are never the same. One might be a 15k interval training. 2nd a cruise at medium intensity. I always try to vary it, depending on how I feel and what my energy level is like.

I try to be aware of not going too hard on back to back rides. Even back to back days. Knowing that muscles and the body needs some rest.

I'm training for a triathlon next month. 40k ride. And also have a double (2x100km) century which i'm not really worried about. As it's more of a charity cruise. Also plan on doing some short distance (under 25kms) TT's.

Currently riding about 6-8hrs per week. Roughly 200-250kms/wk. My weight's dropping and my speed's increasing. So far so good. But can I do better????

Any training advice guys? Comments?

Thanks.

Sometimes i do 2x/day training if time permits, i did one yesterday infact. This consisted of 2 V02 max interval session in the morning and then the club bash on the evening. I felt suprisingly good on the club run and managed to make it a race specific threshold session bby launching a savage attack and TTing in to the finish for the next 30 mins, lol.

I find these days can give you a really good training effect/stimulus, providing you follow it up with the correct amount of recovery and the right nutrition. For me, thats always the hard bit.

But overall, im all for 2 sessions a day, so long as you have a good plan and make both session good overall quality.

Dan

CdnRider said:
I ride twice a day quite a bit. Maybe 3x a week. Is there any danger in doing this? 2nd ride is usually at night when I can squeeze a quick 15-25kms in. Not long or far at all. My 2 rides are never the same. One might be a 15k interval training. 2nd a cruise at medium intensity. I always try to vary it, depending on how I feel and what my energy level is like.

I try to be aware of not going too hard on back to back rides. Even back to back days. Knowing that muscles and the body needs some rest.

I'm training for a triathlon next month. 40k ride. And also have a double (2x100km) century which i'm not really worried about. As it's more of a charity cruise. Also plan on doing some short distance (under 25kms) TT's.

Currently riding about 6-8hrs per week. Roughly 200-250kms/wk. My weight's dropping and my speed's increasing. So far so good. But can I do better????

Any training advice guys? Comments?

Thanks.

If I was doing two sessions in a day I wouldn't do intervals during the second set unless the first session was a very easy recovery ride. In that case one would wonder if the recovery ride was really necessary or if staying in bed longer was more worthwhile. :p

I've done two sessions in a day during times where doing a single long ride, just above SST, wasn't possible. Intensity was marginally higher during the split sessions.

CdnRider said:
I thought more people would have chimed in on this thread.

Anyone else?
I've done two a days at different times, usually when I'm on a build cycle and trying to build overall training load. Commuting of course is a natural two a day, but then it's typically no more than Tempo if that.

The risk with two a days is trying to do too much and leaving yourself too tired from an evening session to do quality work the following day, especially if you normally do morning sessions. From that standpoint I'll typically do the more intense session in the morning if I'm planning two a days with any high end work.

-Dave

in my racing years i was into 2x/day training a couple of days per week.

I ride 2xday usually ~4 days per week (commuting).

My morning ride is almost always in low Z1 for 75-90 min. If I have a particularly hard workout the night before, I'll drop to recovery pace to not screw the evening's workout.

My morning ride of the 2xday's is never a structured workout on the commute, because the roads don't cooperate.

This week will look something like this:
Mon - 75 min commute to work, Z1. 2 hr commute home, Z3 (~88% FTP)
Tues - 75 min commute to work, Z1. 2½ hr ride home, contains 60 min hard, race pace group ride.
Wed - 3 hrs Z1
Thurs - 75 min commute to work, Z1. 2½ hr ride home, 90 min Z4
Fri - 90 min recovery, pre race day openers
Sat - 4 hrs, includes warmup/race/cool down
Sun - 90-120 min recovery spin

(heavy hours week, wrapping up pre-RAAM training)

I ride in the morning nearly every day, and about every other day I ride an hour or so in the evening, mostly to relax from the rigors of college and the associated stresses. The morning ride is the more intense, the evening ride is relaxed, just to unwind.