WHo said Ullrich is still a contender?

mareblu

Mar 16, 2004
I am not sure why people continue to say Ullrich is the man to beat Armstrong. In my view, he is not....there are others much more dangerous than Jan.

What do you think?

mareblu said:
I am not sure why people continue to say Ullrich is the man to beat Armstrong. In my view, he is not....there are others much more dangerous than Jan.

What do you think?
:D We'll find out on July 10. Mareblue, Get ready to get jumped by the Armstrong haters. :D

Maybe because Ullrich has only placed lower than 2nd once? Or because even Armstrong says Ullrich is the main competition?

I agree I like Jan but in my opinion the person to watch out for is Ivan Basso. A lot of people talk about Levi Leiphimer but I don't think he has that extra edge he will be top ten. I know a lot of people who love Levi he is my home town hero and I know a lot of people who ride with him but he wont get to close IMHO. Basso is going to be fun to watch.

ryan16 said:
I agree I like Jan but in my opinion the person to watch out for is Ivan Basso. A lot of people talk about Levi Leiphimer but I don't think he has that extra edge he will be top ten. I know a lot of people who love Levi he is my home town hero and I know a lot of people who ride with him but he wont get to close IMHO. Basso is going to be fun to watch.
I agree Basso is going to be scary. Like Mayo was 2 years ago. Basso is going to attack relentlessly in the mountains. Its going to be fun to watch if LA can hold him off.

What do you guys think of Beloki?
He lost about 2 minutes to Armstrong in the ITT, but if he has finally recovered from the 2003 crash and is in good shape, he is man to follow in the mountains.

I alwyas wondered what would have happened in 2003 if Beloki had not crashed.

sopas said:
He lost about 2 minutes to Armstrong in the ITT, but if he has finally recovered from the 2003 crash and is in good shape, he is man to follow in the mountains.

They said at when he started the ITT that he was overweight and that his team director wanted him to skip the TdF and concentrate on the Vuelta. That xtra weight will probably play a factor in the mountains.

thebluetrain said:
They said at when he started the ITT that he was overweight and that his team director wanted him to skip the TdF and concentrate on the Vuelta. That xtra weight will probably play a factor in the mountains.
Also, I think he's lost his nerve. In the Giro's 1st ITT, his average speed on the flat was HIGHER than his average speed on the descent. And he has not been able to stay with even the second rate climbers in any decent climbs in any race this year.

Honestly, I thought AK was going to be leading that team this year.

I think he has a bright future.

sopas said:

I admire Beloki - I think he is a very gutsy rider. He had a complete zero last year apparantly, much to do with that fateful crash in the Tour the year before. At the time, Beloki was the only one of the main contenders putting serious CONSTANT pressure on Lance. Sure, others like Mayo were thereabouts, also making the occasional move. But it seemed to me like Beloki was doing the most to disrupt Lance. He was sending out a signal that the only way to beat the guy was go at him from the gun. Which low and behold, all the major teams seem to be saying in the press 2 years later.

The crash was a sad end to his chances back then. And it seems he has paid for that until now. From what I gather he hasn't been in at all good form this year to make any impression - but you just never know in the Tour. Somtimes the timing can be exactly right. I for one am crossing my fingers for him.