Who sanctioned this?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by [email protected], Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Tags:

  2. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

  3. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    No, the best part is that little kiddo participants were awarded medals
    from the THF that read "I Believe."

  4. Bill C wrote:
    > Hunter wrote:

    > BTW USAC is hitting non-competitive kids races for $2 per kid, and
    > that looks like it's going to kill a lot of stuff here unless we can
    > find sponsors to cover it, while they are subsidizing elite athletes.
    > Once again they care about big time press and and future Tour winners,
    > and screw building a base.

    isn't USAC run by members ? why don't you do something aboutit instead
    of bitching on rbr ? i know that we worked with our governing body to
    get the kind of insurance and sanctions that suit what we were doing,
    rather then the gov. body imagining what the possible scenarios are and
    asking that we fit one of those criteria. of course we have to make
    some compromises, because we realize there has to be liability
    insurance and it will have a cost and sometimes we'll have to do a bit
    more work to see that we meet the insurance guidelines.

    > "Why the hell can't these kids pay $2 a head for
    > the privilege of racing?"

    actually, that's a fair question. it depends on what's being offered.
    if you're talking about a kid's race which is a little ad-hoc ride
    during between the mens and women's crit on raceday, it's a good thing,
    but you're not offering a lot, and even the $2 per might be hard to
    raise or unjustified.

    but if you are running a program the way other sports do (soccer,
    hockey, little league, gymnastics), well people pay a lot of money to
    put their kids into those activities, so it's fair for a cycling
    program to do the same if they can offer a real program. you're going
    to need that money if you're going to have staff and facilities and
    whatever it takes to have a real program.

  5. Bill C

    Bill C Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Bill C wrote:
    > > Hunter wrote:

    > > BTW USAC is hitting non-competitive kids races for $2 per kid, and
    > > that looks like it's going to kill a lot of stuff here unless we can
    > > find sponsors to cover it, while they are subsidizing elite athletes.
    > > Once again they care about big time press and and future Tour winners,
    > > and screw building a base.

    > isn't USAC run by members ? why don't you do something aboutit instead
    > of bitching on rbr ? i know that we worked with our governing body to
    > get the kind of insurance and sanctions that suit what we were doing,
    > rather then the gov. body imagining what the possible scenarios are and
    > asking that we fit one of those criteria. of course we have to make
    > some compromises, because we realize there has to be liability
    > insurance and it will have a cost and sometimes we'll have to do a bit
    > more work to see that we meet the insurance guidelines.
    >
    > > "Why the hell can't these kids pay $2 a head for
    > > the privilege of racing?"

    > actually, that's a fair question. it depends on what's being offered.
    > if you're talking about a kid's race which is a little ad-hoc ride
    > during between the mens and women's crit on raceday, it's a good thing,
    > but you're not offering a lot, and even the $2 per might be hard to
    > raise or unjustified.
    >
    > but if you are running a program the way other sports do (soccer,
    > hockey, little league, gymnastics), well people pay a lot of money to
    > put their kids into those activities, so it's fair for a cycling
    > program to do the same if they can offer a real program. you're going
    > to need that money if you're going to have staff and facilities and
    > whatever it takes to have a real program.

    Trust me, we've made our case over and over. We were basically told to
    drop it at a recent meeting when most of the people who do kids races
    here in New England were raising questions. We've been talking to
    Colorado for the last few years. What we've gotten is that they aren't
    willing to put $1 out there for grassroots childrens racing. They'll
    help with elite juniors scholarships but wont give $1 single dollar to
    bring kids into the sport. I'm probably going to catch shit for this
    from them, but it is what it is.
    We run a weekly summer series with races from tricycle/carriage up to
    age 10 with medals, mechanics, bike checks, safety information and
    everything is based on providing a safe, positive cycling experience.
    We have loaner bikes, helmets, etc... and get a lot of walk-up kids who
    use them. We have had to fight long and hard, and jump through amazing
    hoops in each school district just to get them to let us distribute
    flyers for a free series. Cycling is below curling on their scale of
    events. There's almost no chance that you are going to get anyone but
    the kids of already committed cyclists to pay to do a grass crit on a
    weekly basis. That would keep the sport nice and elite, which seems to
    be the way most people want it. I want to see every kids who rides his
    bike fast for any reason to have the experience of racing in a safe,
    environment, without having to invest hundreds, or thousands of dollars
    to do it. USAC doesn't help kids find affordable road bikes, we have
    almost no good races for 10-14 type kids, there's just no good way into
    the sport for young riders, and USAC wont cut anybody who's trying to
    get kids involved any slack. They are concerned with the elite only.
    The multiple series here in the area intorduced a couple of thousand
    kids to bicycle racing. Right now it looks like all of them are going
    to fold unless we can get help from people outside USAC because they
    wont help.
    Bill C

    Bill C

  6. Bret

    Bret Guest

  7. Bret

    Bret Guest

    Bill C wrote:

    > We've been talking to Colorado for the last few years.

    Maybe you should talk to the other Colorado some time. The one where
    juniors race free and attend free camps (road and cross).

    Bret

  8. Stu Fleming

    Stu Fleming Guest

  9. [email protected] wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > http://www.cyclingnews.com/road.php?id=road/2006/mar06/staziocrit1_06
    > >
    > > Is this ACA? In either case, someone sanctioned it, so do they not
    > > uphold doping offenses?

    > C'mon, you've got to do better if you want us to fall for your troll.
    > You're in Boulder and you want us to believe you AREN'T fully aware of
    > the situation regarding the promotion of the Stazio crit series?????
    >
    > Puhleeze!

    Puhleeze. The whole thing including the cyclingnews item
    is obviously a troll. Forget the shady sanctioning - you
    expect us to believe Tyler stayed upright throughout an
    entire American-style crit?

  10. But Bill that's the way its always been, "Scraping the cream of cream
    off the top". Has USAC ever gotten it? Not a chance. I've given the
    the benefit of the doubt over the years and did so again and every time
    it's the same old bullshit. When I brought up bringing a team over to
    Europe to race I was told it would be better if they came out to Super
    Week to try to qualify for the World's team.

    The fact is the only way grassroots will work is with organizations and
    associations that have it ingrained in them, like ACA and OBRA. Every
    year something costs more and it's always because of insurance, which
    is also bullshit. Too bad more regions didn't break off, but more
    often they just roll over.

    CH

  11. That's the way it should be. How does ACA keep its costs down?

  12. Bret

    Bret Guest

  13. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >isn't USAC run by members ?

    I think a few years back the members got screwed over by the powers in
    charge. They took away most of the members rights. So now it is much
    harder for anyone to do anything.
    -----------------
    Alex

  14. I doubt we could obtai such documents. It might be interesting to try.

    CH

  15. Scott

    Scott Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I doubt we could obtai such documents. It might be interesting to try.
    >
    > CH

    They've posted the overall accounting info, as they're required to by
    law. Why would you assume they wouldn't provide the detailed documents
    (as they would also be required by law to provide, should you submit a
    formal request)???

  16. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    THF contacts ACA, lets us know that tha Man tryna crack back on TH:

    "This wonderful charity series has become somewhat controversial in the
    days since. Media reports promoting the success of the event prompted
    the international governing body for cycling, the UCI, to contact the
    event organizers and inform them that they would enforce the following
    rule that prohibits UCI licensed professionals from participating in
    the event:

    Rule 1.2.019 : No License holder may participate in an event that has
    not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that
    has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental
    confederation or the UCI. A national federation may grant special
    exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country. "

  17. Bret

    Bret Guest

    Hunter wrote:
    > THF contacts ACA, lets us know that tha Man tryna crack back on TH:
    >
    > "This wonderful charity series has become somewhat controversial in the
    > days since. Media reports promoting the success of the event prompted
    > the international governing body for cycling, the UCI, to contact the
    > event organizers and inform them that they would enforce the following
    > rule that prohibits UCI licensed professionals from participating in
    > the event:
    >
    > Rule 1.2.019 : No License holder may participate in an event that has
    > not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that
    > has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental
    > confederation or the UCI. A national federation may grant special
    > exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country. "

    More on this here:
    http://www.tetoncycling.com/forum/display_message.asp?mid=7548

  18. Hunter wrote:
    > THF contacts ACA, lets us know that tha Man tryna crack back on TH:
    >
    > "This wonderful charity series has become somewhat controversial in the
    > days since. Media reports promoting the success of the event prompted
    > the international governing body for cycling, the UCI, to contact the
    > event organizers and inform them that they would enforce the following
    > rule that prohibits UCI licensed professionals from participating in
    > the event:
    >
    > Rule 1.2.019 : No License holder may participate in an event that has
    > not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that
    > has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental
    > confederation or the UCI. A national federation may grant special
    > exceptions for races or particular events run in its own country. "

    Is Tyler holding a UCI license? I thought he was suspended. Do you
    have to take out a UCI license even when you're suspended? That's
    awfully Sopranos-esque: you can't just quit the life and move to
    Colorado.

  19. I bet they couldn't get Tyler on this or the race, but were pissed
    about him racing, so they went the backdoor trying to threaten other
    pros.

    CH