Who taught you how to ride?

gracer

Jul 1, 2016
I remember my husband telling me that he was the one who taught himself how to ride a bike when he was still young. He would borrow his older brother's bike and would go riding out on their neighborhood street. After a lot of falls and bruises, he was able to finally master his cycling skills and that's how he started doing it as a regular exercise routine.

How about you guys, we're you self-taught or did someone mentor you?

No self taught. My father taught me the know how when He assembled my first bike which was a gift gave by the company He was working at that time. Never used support wheels, He just held the seat and I pedal straightforward until I get used to keep the balance, of course fell off from my bike a lot and ended up several times with bloody bruises in the process. There are less painful and more effective ways, but I guess I got my technique from the old way .

Reactions: gracer
Self taught with training wheels. I just keep bending the training wheels upwards until I master the balance thing (a handful of rides). Couldn't really take the training wheel off as the bike was "shared" but really meant for my older sister who never rode it. I had to learn in secrete and was probably six or seven at the time.

I learned to ride one summer vacation with my friends who are fond of bicycles. There was a convenience store near our place that rents out bikes. But I know of people who learned to ride by themselves, with no tutor. One of them is my husband who borrowed a bike and was dared to ride it downhill. That was his first time to ride on a bike but he survived. The lesson is this - he knew how to ride a trolley and the balancing is just the same except that the bike has pedals and brakes where the trolley has none except your foot.

My father taught me how to ride. When I was a kid, I was very curious and I always wanted to learn how to ride a bike. Finally, my father bought a bike for me when I reached the age of 10 and since then, I became a cycling enthusiast and now, I am a pro.

Self taught with training wheels.

Same here, I taught myself, and the bike had training wheels on it. I eventually bent them upwards a little so I could learn to balance myself.

I eventually started riding around with friends who got bigger bikes, and as I got older, I remember it being embarrassing to ride with it, so I got another bike which was bigger, and I felt like I was a natural because balance was never really a problem for me to master.

Reactions: kcjc and gracer
It was my dad, for me. I was a shy child and lacked confidence a lot...I remember my brother who was a year and a half younger than me learned to ride before I did...I was someone that needed a lot of encouragement and support to learn new things!

You wouldn't guess that now though...I'm a lot more confident now! And riding my bike is one of my biggest passions!

Well that would have to be the greatest man that I know...my father. I still have some pretty good memories of being out there trying to ride a bike and having him there, which is pretty cook considering my memory of other events is not really all that great. It is certainly something that I look forward to sharing with my kids. It makes my heart feel warm just thinking about it, and for that thank you.

My friend. He gave me confidence. I was driving my bike and he was walking behind it holding his hand onto the bike. Then he suddenly removed it and I didn't know that and kept on riding. Then I realized it. I nearly lost my balance that second. However, it was enough. I got on a bike again and didn't fail. So, it was all in my head.

Well that would have to be the greatest man that I know...my father. I still have some pretty good memories of being out there trying to ride a bike and having him there, which is pretty cook considering my memory of other events is not really all that great. It is certainly something that I look forward to sharing with my kids. It makes my heart feel warm just thinking about it, and for that thank you.

I couldn't help but be touched every time I hear stories of father-and-child bonding especially during moments of learning. It's like a way of passing on what a father knows to his child and there's nothing more valuable compared to those moments. Thank you for sharing your story with us. :)

My son also learned how to ride a bike through his dad's continuous encouragement. He was very patient in teaching our son since he was so afraid to ride at first due to fear that he might fall and get bruises.

In our old neighborhood kids used to teach other how to ride bikes. Even if you didn't own a bike at that time, as long you played with other kids in the empty lots then you just had to learn how to ride a bike. That's how I learned — other kids taught me and in turn taught others :)

It was my father also that taught me how to ride, and he was adamant that it was something I should learn from a very early age. He considered it fundamental in life like learning to swim and...well, walk! Even though thinking about it, I don't think I ever once saw him on a bike, it was just that his father had taught him from an early age also, so I think he just copied how he had been brought up with me.

In our old neighborhood kids used to teach other how to ride bikes. Even if you didn't own a bike at that time, as long you played with other kids in the empty lots then you just had to learn how to ride a bike. That's how I learned — other kids taught me and in turn taught others :)

What a very cute way to learn a bike. I could just imagine how all those already learned children are teaching their other peers who are still trying to learn. I suddenly remembered how my son was also trying to teach his younger cousins how to ride a bike when we were vacationing in their place. I just find it sweet for children to teach their fellow children things that they already know. It's also a way of sharing for me. :)

Reactions: John Snort
Hey there! That's so heartwarming to hear about the kids teaching each other how to ride. I couldn't agree more, it's a wonderful way of sharing and building connections. I still remember when I first learned to ride, and I've been hooked ever since! Both road and mountain biking have been a big part of my life for over a decade now. Keep up the great work encouraging the little ones to ride.