Who wants to do a recumbent time trial-

Jeff Wills

Guest
In Vancouver, Washington on Sunday, February 23rd?

I'm inviting all recumbent riders to the Jack Frost Time Trial. I've gotten preliminary approval to
add a recumbent class- now I need to know if YOU are going to be there. Email me at
[email protected] if you're going to be there- NOW! I need to tell the organizers how big the
recumbent class (or classes- we can probably separate the men and women if there's enough of a
turnout) will be. This information is going to go the promoters right away- so we need to make a big
showing. Don't disappoint me!

Here's last year's race information: (from http://www.obra.org/flyers/2002/02JKFRST1.pdf)

TIME: Entry and rider check-in opens 8:00. Closes at 9:00am. No exceptions! First rider 9:30am.
LOCATION: Vancouver Lake Park. Take 4th Plain West from I-5; Follow Lower River Road to the staging
area in the park. ENTRY FEE: $10 Each Rider. Fees include OBRA surcharges. Single Day License
available onsite. PRIZES: Ribbons for first 3 places in each category. COURSE: 12.4 miles out and
back, nearly flat countryside. Start is at Vancouver Lake Park. (New pavement was laid down last
September- much of the course is now very smooth!) MISC. An OBRA event. USCF rules and helmet
regulations apply to all participants!

[...]

Actually Jeff,

USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they are
waiving that particular rule in the case of this event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big
turnoutfor it.

Cheers, Derek

derek <[email protected]> wrote:
: Actually Jeff,

: USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they are
: waiving that particular rule in the case of this event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big
: turnoutfor it.

So when are they going to drop that stupid 2m rule? ;)

Does that rule out exactly how many bents?

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Actually Jeff,
>
> USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they are
> waiving that particular rule in the case of this event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big
> turnoutfor it.
>
> Cheers, Derek

You're correct- OBRA's been pretty supportive of recumbents in the past, so they're pretty good
about bending the USCF rules. I think the "USCF" verbiage applies to safety gear and racing classes.
Since the 'bents will be in their own class, all we really need to worry about is safety stuff. I'm
hoping for a good turnout, too- so far I've gotten several positive responses.

We *might* have a couple guys race in full streamliners (if they get done in time). *That* ought to
create some spectacular times...

Jeff

Jeff

"derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Actually Jeff,
>
> USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they are
> waiving that particular rule in the case of this event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big
> turnoutfor it.
>
> Cheers, Derek

You're correct- OBRA's been pretty supportive of recumbents in the past, so they're pretty good
about bending the USCF rules. I think the "USCF" verbiage applies to safety gear and racing classes.
Since the 'bents will be in their own class, all we really need to worry about is safety stuff. I'm
hoping for a good turnout, too- so far I've gotten several positive responses.

We *might* have a couple guys race in full streamliners (if they get done in time). *That* ought to
create some spectacular times...

Jeff

Jeff

Of the USCF 2m rule, Risto Varanka asked

> Does that rule out exactly how many bents?

Quite a lot, I should imagine. Most low racers with a 559 or larger rear wheel, for starters.
Moreover it discriminates against tall recumbent riders.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

There is a time trial in the Atlanta area comming up. Initially the event sponsor said that
recumbents were not allowed according to USCF rules. A fellow rider and I have made them back down
off of that. My friend quoted the story on the Lightning web page where Tim Brummer won his age
group on a Lightning low racer and I went to the USCF web page and quoted the rule book. To
paraphrase the rules on bikes, it must be under 2 meters in length and no fairings. The only "wind
helping" device that is allowed is wheel covers. That felt especially good since the sponsor is a
local bike shop that is VERY anti recumbent.

My cohort in this has a 26/20 T-Bone and his measures 2 inches under the 2 meter mark and my V-rex
is about 5 inches under 2 meters. Now I won't be a factor in this time trial because I am too slow
but the guy on the T-bone is a fast rider. He may make a believer out of some of the upright riders.

Tom A

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> derek <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Actually Jeff,
>
> : USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they
> : are waiving that particular rule in the case of
this
> : event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big turnoutfor it.
>
> So when are they going to drop that stupid 2m rule? ;)
>
> Does that rule out exactly how many bents?
>
> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

Of the USCF 2m rule, Risto Varanka asked

> Does that rule out exactly how many bents?

Quite a lot, I should imagine. Most low racers with a 559 or larger rear wheel, for starters.
Moreover it discriminates against tall recumbent riders.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

There is a time trial in the Atlanta area comming up. Initially the event sponsor said that
recumbents were not allowed according to USCF rules. A fellow rider and I have made them back down
off of that. My friend quoted the story on the Lightning web page where Tim Brummer won his age
group on a Lightning low racer and I went to the USCF web page and quoted the rule book. To
paraphrase the rules on bikes, it must be under 2 meters in length and no fairings. The only "wind
helping" device that is allowed is wheel covers. That felt especially good since the sponsor is a
local bike shop that is VERY anti recumbent.

My cohort in this has a 26/20 T-Bone and his measures 2 inches under the 2 meter mark and my V-rex
is about 5 inches under 2 meters. Now I won't be a factor in this time trial because I am too slow
but the guy on the T-bone is a fast rider. He may make a believer out of some of the upright riders.

Tom A

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> derek <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Actually Jeff,
>
> : USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they
> : are waiving that particular rule in the case of
this
> : event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big turnoutfor it.
>
> So when are they going to drop that stupid 2m rule? ;)
>
> Does that rule out exactly how many bents?
>
> --
> Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/ varis at no spam please iki fi

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> derek <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Actually Jeff,
>
> : USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they
> : are waiving that particular rule in the case of
this
> : event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big turnoutfor it.
>
> So when are they going to drop that stupid 2m rule? ;)

No time soon, as the USCF is already way more flexible than the UCI. 'Course time trials can run
anything that is safe and can fit in the time available, as nothing precludes USCF classes from
being run separately from non-USCF classes. They have had roller-bladers at time trials a few
years ago.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> derek <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Actually Jeff,
>
> : USCF rules would preclude the use of any recumbent over two meters in length; presumably they
> : are waiving that particular rule in the case of
this
> : event. Sounds like fun, and I hope you get a big turnoutfor it.
>
> So when are they going to drop that stupid 2m rule? ;)

No time soon, as the USCF is already way more flexible than the UCI. 'Course time trials can run
anything that is safe and can fit in the time available, as nothing precludes USCF classes from
being run separately from non-USCF classes. They have had roller-bladers at time trials a few
years ago.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA)

How much effort does it take to arrange a time trial? Is there anything that could be done to make
arranging events easier? IHPVA support, nation/continent-wide sponsorship or volunteering?

If you had a separate class for uprights, maybe you could get some of those folks to help you, if
there are not enough time trials in their area.

As recumbents can get into USCF time trials, would it help our situation if bentheads also helped in
the organization of the said time trials? (Not meaning to criticize anybody involved in the
arrangements already... :eek:)