Who was looking for a Hibatchi?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi anywhere.
    My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been looking for one and
    couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search and he'll get his hibatchi
    on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad is almost 81 and has no desire to
    have a big honkin' grill. But with storm season approaching (they live on
    an island off South Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be able to
    open the garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days. Maybe
    he'll even make sateh, which I remember him cooking on a hibachi in Bangkok
    :)

    Beef, Chicken or Pork Sateh (or Satay if you prefer)

    2 lbs. meat (tender beef, boneless chicken or pork steak)
    2 tsp. ground ginger
    2 Tbs. brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 c. coconut milk
    12 inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water

    Slice the meat thinly and rub the sugar and spices into the meat. (It's
    easier to slice if partially frozen.) Let stand at least 30 minutes.
    Thread three or four pieces of meat onto the skewers. Brush with coconut
    milk. Grill over low coals for a couple of minutes on each side. Serves 8.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi

    anywhere.
    > My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been looking for

    one and
    > couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search and he'll get his

    hibatchi
    > on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad is almost 81 and has no

    desire to
    > have a big honkin' grill. But with storm season approaching (they

    live on
    > an island off South Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be

    able to
    > open the garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days.

    But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
    under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season of
    cooking.

    You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.

    Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    Sheldon

  3. A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:

    >But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
    >under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season of
    >cooking.
    >
    >You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
    >
    >Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
    They're typically $99.99.
    http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi

    Also in that list is one for $25:
    http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

    Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz

    I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge brand, but
    the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    > >But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it

    cost's
    > >under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season

    of
    > >cooking.
    > >
    > >You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
    > >
    > >Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    > I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
    > They're typically $99.99.
    > http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi
    >
    > Also in that list is one for $25:

    http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

    > Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz
    >
    > I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge

    brand, but
    > the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.

    Yes, there are lots of choices/prices... I posted the lodge because I
    thought it the best in its class... but I wouldn't call it portable,
    the thing is heavy.
    I owned a cast iron (made in china) hibachi many years ago, they really
    don't cook very well, they require constant fiddling with cooking
    height, air shuttle, adn rearranging coals, and still the thing
    sputters and flares.

    Were it me wanting a top of the line portable charcoal grill for little
    money I'd get a Weber, Home Depot has the "Silver" for $27:
    http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/portable/pg.aspx

    Sheldon

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    > >But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it

    cost's
    > >under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season

    of
    > >cooking.
    > >
    > >You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
    > >
    > >Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    > I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
    > They're typically $99.99.
    > http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi
    >
    > Also in that list is one for $25:

    http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

    > Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz
    >
    > I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge

    brand, but
    > the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.

    Yes, there are lots of choices/prices... I posted the lodge because I
    thought it the best in its class... but I wouldn't call it portable,
    the thing is heavy.
    I owned a cast iron (made in china) hibachi many years ago, they really
    don't cook very well, they require constant fiddling with cooking
    height, air shuttle, adn rearranging coals, and still the thing
    sputters and flares.

    Were it me wanting a top of the line portable charcoal grill for little
    money I'd get a Weber, Home Depot has the "Silver" for $27:
    http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/portable/pg.aspx

    Sheldon

  6. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi
    >> anywhere. My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been
    >> looking for one and couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search
    >> and he'll get his hibatchi on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad
    >> is almost 81 and has no desire to have a big honkin' grill. But
    >> with storm season approaching (they live on an island off South
    >> Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be able to open the
    >> garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days.

    > But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
    > under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season
    > of cooking.
    >
    > You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
    >
    > Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/
    >
    > Sheldon

    Yeah, it's a cheapie but he was only talking about using it if they lose
    power during storms. Hurricane season approacheth.

    Jill

  7. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:
    >
    >> But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it
    >> cost's
    >> under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season
    >> of
    >> cooking.
    >>
    >> You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
    >>
    >> Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

    > I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
    > They're typically $99.99.
    > http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi
    >
    > Also in that list is one for $25:

    http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

    > Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz
    >
    > I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge
    > brand, but
    > the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.
    >
    > Carol

    Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
    cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
    adjustable 2 racks side by side rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which
    don't have that feature. Dad is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I
    can't afford to send him a $100 grill plus shipping at this point. He
    probably shouldn't be trying to lift a 19 lb. grill anyway - the man is 80
    years old and weighs about 125 lbs. He won't use the hibachi all that much.

    Jill

  8. > jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > the man is 80 years old He won't use the hibachi all that much.

    Just your luck he will look at it and think how come she didn't buy me
    something usefull like an electric blanket.

  9. A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

    >Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
    >cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
    >adjustable 2 racks side by side rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which
    >don't have that feature. Dad is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I
    >can't afford to send him a $100 grill plus shipping at this point. He
    >probably shouldn't be trying to lift a 19 lb. grill anyway - the man is 80
    >years old and weighs about 125 lbs. He won't use the hibachi all that much.

    Happy to be of service. It looks a lot like the one my mom and dad had,
    too.

    Carol
    --
    Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

  10. Puester

    Puester Guest

    SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:
    >>jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> the man is 80 years old He won't use the hibachi all that much.

    > Just your luck he will look at it and think how come she didn't buy me
    > something usefull like an electric blanket.

    You didn't see Jill's original post. He wanted the hibachi to cook
    on during hurricane power outages. An electric blanket wouldn't do nim
    much good under the same circumstances.

    ;-)
    gloria p

  11. > Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You didn't see Jill's original post. He wanted the hibachi to cook
    > on during hurricane power outages. An electric blanket wouldn't do nim
    > much good under the same circumstances.

    I just knew I shouldn't have eaten those two hotdogs with onions
    before I sat down and posted my tongue in cheeky comment.

    Bad onions, bad onions.

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On 11 Apr 2005 13:51:00 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

    > Were it me wanting a top of the line portable charcoal grill for little
    > money I'd get a Weber, Home Depot has the "Silver" for $27:
    > http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/portable/pg.aspx

    Smokey Joe (there was only one to choose at the time) was my first
    grill after the hibatchi (didn't "everyone" have a hibatchi in the
    late '60's?) and it lasted for years. I got one for my mother shortly
    after and she just replaces it (doesn't upgrade) whenever she needs a
    new one.

  13. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:59:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

    > Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
    > cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
    > adjustable 2 racks side by side

    That's exactly the same one I had!

    > rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which don't have that feature. Dad
    > is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I can't afford to send him a
    > $100 grill plus shipping at this point.

    I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "sf" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

    That's funny. I grew up, my father had this little
    hibachi, he'd cook outside once in a while. Six
    of us, so you had to wait your turn for a burger,
    how many could fit at one time, 4? So now
    people are throwing around numbers like $100
    for one of those? I don't think so.

    Obviously some of us have a different idea of
    a hibachi.

    nancy

  15. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "sf" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

    > That's funny. I grew up, my father had this little
    > hibachi, he'd cook outside once in a while. Six
    > of us, so you had to wait your turn for a burger,
    > how many could fit at one time, 4? So now
    > people are throwing around numbers like $100
    > for one of those? I don't think so.
    >
    > Obviously some of us have a different idea of
    > a hibachi.

    Those $100 units are twice the size and four times the weight of the
    hibachis you're speaking of... not truly portable.. but no waiting your
    turn for burgers, and they'll last forever. But the little $10 hibachi
    you speak of is still available, only now costs more like $25... hey,
    burgers cost at least four times as much as they did in the 60s... more
    like 8X! I often see those old hibachis at yard sales and thrift
    shops, often brand new in the box (marked like $8, and negotiable), or
    hardly used for like $3 and a good chance they'll take $1. I had one of
    those tiny hibachies during the 50s, they suck. For a small charcoal
    grill I'd much rather the little Weber, and I'd get one but I have a
    nice Weber gas grill, and I still have one of those collapsable three
    legged "pie-plate" grills from my traveling days (60s), still good as
    new and cost like $2 brand new... that little $2 charcoal grill cooked
    many thousands of dollars worth of food. But for real emergencies I
    have a 2 burner Coleman white gas stove, and single mantle lantern...
    held over from when I was into camping... haven't had an emergency yet
    where I used them but they look very reassuring hanging in the garage.
    I figure were I to get rid of those dust collectors next day there'd be
    an earthquake or some such.

    Sheldon