Who was looking for a Hibatchi?

jmcquown

Guest
Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi anywhere.
My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been looking for one and
couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search and he'll get his hibatchi
on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad is almost 81 and has no desire to
have a big honkin' grill. But with storm season approaching (they live on
an island off South Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be able to
open the garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days. Maybe
he'll even make sateh, which I remember him cooking on a hibachi in Bangkok
:)

Beef, Chicken or Pork Sateh (or Satay if you prefer)

2 lbs. meat (tender beef, boneless chicken or pork steak)
2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. coconut milk
12 inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water

Slice the meat thinly and rub the sugar and spices into the meat. (It's
easier to slice if partially frozen.) Let stand at least 30 minutes.
Thread three or four pieces of meat onto the skewers. Brush with coconut
milk. Grill over low coals for a couple of minutes on each side. Serves 8.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
> Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi

anywhere.
> My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been looking for

one and
> couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search and he'll get his

hibatchi
> on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad is almost 81 and has no

desire to
> have a big honkin' grill. But with storm season approaching (they

live on
> an island off South Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be

able to
> open the garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days.

But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season of
cooking.

You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.

Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

Sheldon

A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:

>But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
>under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season of
>cooking.
>
>You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
>
>Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
They're typically $99.99.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi

Also in that list is one for $25:
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz

I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge brand, but
the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:
>
> >But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it

cost's
> >under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season

of
> >cooking.
> >
> >You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
> >
> >Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

> I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
> They're typically $99.99.
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi
>
> Also in that list is one for $25:

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

> Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz
>
> I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge

brand, but
> the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.

Yes, there are lots of choices/prices... I posted the lodge because I
thought it the best in its class... but I wouldn't call it portable,
the thing is heavy.
I owned a cast iron (made in china) hibachi many years ago, they really
don't cook very well, they require constant fiddling with cooking
height, air shuttle, adn rearranging coals, and still the thing
sputters and flares.

Were it me wanting a top of the line portable charcoal grill for little
money I'd get a Weber, Home Depot has the "Silver" for $27:
http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/portable/pg.aspx

Sheldon

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Saw a post last month about someone who couldn't find a hibatchi
>> anywhere. My mom mentioned a couple of weeks ago my dad had been
>> looking for one and couldn't find any. As a surprise I did a search
>> and he'll get his hibatchi on Tuesday. Ace Hardware has them. Dad
>> is almost 81 and has no desire to have a big honkin' grill. But
>> with storm season approaching (they live on an island off South
>> Carolina) if the power goes off he'd like to be able to open the
>> garage door and cook. So he'll get his wish in a few days.

> But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it cost's
> under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season
> of cooking.
>
> You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
>
> Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/
>
> Sheldon

Yeah, it's a cheapie but he was only talking about using it if they lose
power during storms. Hurricane season approacheth.

Jill

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> A little birdie told me that "Sheldon" <[email protected]> said:
>
>> But if that ACE hibachi is the one I found at their website, it
>> cost's
>> under $10, is made of cheap steel, probably won't last half a season
>> of
>> cooking.
>>
>> You need to get dad the real deal, one made of cast iron.
>>
>> Go here: http://www.lodgemfg.com/

> I Froogled for cast iron hibachis, and found many Lodge brand units.
> They're typically $99.99.
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=cast+iron+hibachi
>
> Also in that list is one for $25:

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/c.../16534541/ccsid/363361473-20343/adtg/04100523

> Or, if you prefer ... http://tinyurl.com/3zquz
>
> I only did this because budgets vary. I couldn't afford a Lodge
> brand, but
> the other one would work out fine for me, cost-wise.
>
> Carol

Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
adjustable 2 racks side by side rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which
don't have that feature. Dad is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I
can't afford to send him a $100 grill plus shipping at this point. He
probably shouldn't be trying to lift a 19 lb. grill anyway - the man is 80
years old and weighs about 125 lbs. He won't use the hibachi all that much.

Jill

> jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

> the man is 80 years old He won't use the hibachi all that much.

Just your luck he will look at it and think how come she didn't buy me
something usefull like an electric blanket.

A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" <[email protected]> said:

>Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
>cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
>adjustable 2 racks side by side rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which
>don't have that feature. Dad is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I
>can't afford to send him a $100 grill plus shipping at this point. He
>probably shouldn't be trying to lift a 19 lb. grill anyway - the man is 80
>years old and weighs about 125 lbs. He won't use the hibachi all that much.

Happy to be of service. It looks a lot like the one my mom and dad had,
too.

Carol
--

SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:
>>jmcquown <[email protected]> wrote:

>> the man is 80 years old He won't use the hibachi all that much.

> Just your luck he will look at it and think how come she didn't buy me
> something usefull like an electric blanket.

You didn't see Jill's original post. He wanted the hibachi to cook
on during hurricane power outages. An electric blanket wouldn't do nim
much good under the same circumstances.

;-)
gloria p

> Puester <[email protected]> wrote:

> You didn't see Jill's original post. He wanted the hibachi to cook
> on during hurricane power outages. An electric blanket wouldn't do nim
> much good under the same circumstances.

I just knew I shouldn't have eaten those two hotdogs with onions
before I sat down and posted my tongue in cheeky comment.

Bad onions, bad onions.

On 11 Apr 2005 13:51:00 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> Were it me wanting a top of the line portable charcoal grill for little
> money I'd get a Weber, Home Depot has the "Silver" for $27:
> http://weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/portable/pg.aspx

Smokey Joe (there was only one to choose at the time) was my first
grill after the hibatchi (didn't "everyone" have a hibatchi in the
late '60's?) and it lasted for years. I got one for my mother shortly
after and she just replaces it (doesn't upgrade) whenever she needs a
new one.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:59:25 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Thanks for that second link! I love cast iron, don't get me wrong. I had a
> cast iron hibachi and that style is what my dad would remember - with the
> adjustable 2 racks side by side

That's exactly the same one I had!

> rather than the Lodge "camp stoves" which don't have that feature. Dad
> is into the "remember when" thing. And no, I can't afford to send him a
> $100 grill plus shipping at this point.

I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

"sf" <[email protected]> wrote

> I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

That's funny. I grew up, my father had this little
hibachi, he'd cook outside once in a while. Six
of us, so you had to wait your turn for a burger,
how many could fit at one time, 4? So now
people are throwing around numbers like $100
for one of those? I don't think so.

Obviously some of us have a different idea of
a hibachi.

nancy

Nancy Young wrote:
> "sf" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > I think ours cost more like $5 - 10.

> That's funny. I grew up, my father had this little
> hibachi, he'd cook outside once in a while. Six
> of us, so you had to wait your turn for a burger,
> how many could fit at one time, 4? So now
> people are throwing around numbers like $100
> for one of those? I don't think so.
>
> Obviously some of us have a different idea of
> a hibachi.

Those $100 units are twice the size and four times the weight of the
hibachis you're speaking of... not truly portable.. but no waiting your
turn for burgers, and they'll last forever. But the little $10 hibachi
you speak of is still available, only now costs more like $25... hey,
burgers cost at least four times as much as they did in the 60s... more
like 8X! I often see those old hibachis at yard sales and thrift
shops, often brand new in the box (marked like $8, and negotiable), or
hardly used for like $3 and a good chance they'll take $1. I had one of
those tiny hibachies during the 50s, they suck. For a small charcoal
grill I'd much rather the little Weber, and I'd get one but I have a
nice Weber gas grill, and I still have one of those collapsable three
legged "pie-plate" grills from my traveling days (60s), still good as
new and cost like $2 brand new... that little $2 charcoal grill cooked
many thousands of dollars worth of food. But for real emergencies I
have a 2 burner Coleman white gas stove, and single mantle lantern...
held over from when I was into camping... haven't had an emergency yet
where I used them but they look very reassuring hanging in the garage.
I figure were I to get rid of those dust collectors next day there'd be
an earthquake or some such.

Sheldon