Who watched the TdF last night?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by John Staines, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it was flat.

    Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial attack.....

    Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)

    Cheers

    John

    Tags:

  2. > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand

    --B_3141036194_510255 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

    Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of the 45 minute babble at the beginning and show
    the racing.

    > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it
    > was flat.
    >
    > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial attack.....
    >
    > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    --B_3141036194_510255 Content-type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding:
    quoted-printable

    <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Re: Who watched the TdF last night?</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT
    FACE=3D"Verdana">Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of = the 45 minute babble at the
    beginning and show the racing. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> </FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
    FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT>Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The = way he raced up that mountain....you<BR> would
    have thought it was flat.<BR> <BR> Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried
    by<BR> Beloki's intial attack.....<BR> <BR> Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)<BR>
    <BR> Cheers<BR> <BR> John<BR> </TT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Monaco"><TT><BR> </TT></FONT>
    </BODY> </HTML>

    --B_3141036194_510255--

  3. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    The babble this year wasn't as bad as the year they managed to talk for hours then go to an ad break just in time to miss the intermediate sprint where Stuie lost the green jersey.

  4. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Steve,

    Yeah....I found that abit frustrating but it's a minor gripe.

    It's nice to see something like this actually being beamed live (well slight delay as I'm in
    Adelaide).

    Best wishes

    A tired John in Adelaide :eek:)

    Steve Hubbard wrote:

    > Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of the 45 minute babble at the beginning and
    > show the racing.
    >
    > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it
    > was flat.
    >
    > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial
    > attack.....
    >
    > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

  5. G

    G Guest

    When the babble only repeats what Phil & Paul had been saying, its a real pain. It was much more
    exciting than i expect though.

    GK

    John Staines <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Steve,
    >
    > Yeah....I found that abit frustrating but it's a minor gripe.
    >
    > It's nice to see something like this actually being beamed live (well slight delay as I'm in
    > Adelaide).
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > A tired John in Adelaide :eek:)
    >
    > Steve Hubbard wrote:
    > >
    > > Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of the 45 minute babble at the beginning and
    > > show the racing.
    > >
    > > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it
    > > was flat.
    > >
    > > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial
    > > attack.....
    > >
    > > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > John

  6. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Well it seems to be the Aussie way....Get a panel of so called "experts" to yammer on about what's
    happening, the majority of time I have no idea who the hell these "experts" are. But they sure seem
    to have an authority and opinion and the subject matter.

    I think it's to try and make us (Australian general public) feel more involved, that Australia and
    Australian's do know a thing or two. Just look at what they do when an important soccer match is on.
    Les Murray etc yabber on and on and on.....like a roll of Kleenex, the lot of them....apart from
    they tend to dribble shit more than wipe it away. :eek:)

    Cheers

    John

    g wrote:

    > When the babble only repeats what Phil & Paul had been saying, its a real pain. It was much more
    > exciting than i expect though.
    >
    > GK
    >
    > John Staines <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Steve,
    > >
    > > Yeah....I found that abit frustrating but it's a minor gripe.
    > >
    > > It's nice to see something like this actually being beamed live (well slight delay as I'm in
    > > Adelaide).
    > >
    > > Best wishes
    > >
    > > A tired John in Adelaide :eek:)
    > >
    > > Steve Hubbard wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of the 45 minute babble at the beginning
    > > > and show the racing.
    > > >
    > > > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought
    > > > it was flat.
    > > >
    > > > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial
    > > > attack.....
    > > >
    > > > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    > > >
    > > > Cheers
    > > >
    > > > John

  7. Leon

    Leon Guest

    Good free sight tour of country France from heli view.

    The dog fight up the last climb was good too. Never seen so many attack up a big climb b4. Mayo was
    outstanding same to Vinokourov from team telcom.

    Big winner for SBS live telecast and Harvey Normal being major sponsor.

    "John Staines" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it
    > was flat.
    >
    > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial attack.....
    >
    > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

  8. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    Shabby wrote:
    > The babble this year wasn't as bad as the year they managed to talk for hours then go to an ad
    > break just in time to miss the intermediate sprint where Stuie lost the green jersey.

    Thanks a lot Shabby, I'd just about managed to forget that incident. $1300 of professional
    counselling down the drain. Sigh.

    &roo

  9. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Steve Hubbard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BB3868A1.675A%[email protected]>...
    > Your not wrong John. I just wish SBS would get rid of the 45 minute babble at the beginning and
    > show the racing.
    >

    > > Wasn't Mayo bloody amazing? The way he raced up that mountain....you would have thought it
    > > was flat.
    > >
    > > Armstrong is looking very strong and didn't seem at all worried by Beloki's intial attack.....
    > >
    > > Great to watch it all live....well done SBS! :eek:)
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > John

    I don't mind the pre-race chatter. Was it Armstrong that fell off and then re-mounted on
    the descent?

    Marty

  10. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Stephen Hodge was the "expert", his cycling credentials are sound, but he's no good on TV.

  11. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    I think they called it as Armstrong but it was actually Heras.

  12. G

    G Guest

    Marty <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't mind the pre-race chatter. Was it Armstrong that fell off and then re-mounted on the
    > descent?
    >
    > Marty

    The word is that Heras fell, Armstrong braked and swerved to avoid him.

    GK

  13. Gistane

    Gistane New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2003
    What would be good is they are able to show a few live stages why cant they show every stage live like this? its not like sbs has anything on TV at the times of night that the race is on. 3 live stages is a good start but would be great to see more.

    Would actually also be nice to see more cycling on TV during the late nights when a race is on instead of maybe getting a 1hour special 1 month after a race has been run and won.

  14. Shabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    : John Staines wrote:
    : > Well it seems to be the Aussie way....Get a panel of so called "experts" to yammer on about
    : > what's happening, the majority of time I have no idea who the hell these "experts" are.

    : Stephen Hodge was the "expert", his cycling credentials are sound, but he's no good on TV.

    Umm, why no good? I really appreciated his commentary as a cycling expert and as someone who has
    actually raced the TDF. I'm curious as to what you expect in a TV TDF commentator.

    Lynzz

  15. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Didn't know who he was.

    I stand corrected.

    I must still have hang up's over Johnie Warren. (Soccer expert) ;o)

    Apologies

    John

    Lindsay Rowlands wrote:

    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : John Staines wrote:
    > : > Well it seems to be the Aussie way....Get a panel of so called "experts" to yammer on about
    > : > what's happening, the majority of time I have no idea who the hell these "experts" are.
    >
    > : Stephen Hodge was the "expert", his cycling credentials are sound, but he's no good on TV.
    >
    > Umm, why no good? I really appreciated his commentary as a cycling expert and as someone who has
    > actually raced the TDF. I'm curious as to what you expect in a TV TDF commentator.
    >
    > Lynzz

  16. G

    G Guest

    Lindsay Rowlands <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Shabby <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : John Staines wrote:
    > : > Well it seems to be the Aussie way....Get a panel of so called "experts" to yammer on about
    > : > what's happening, the majority of time I have no idea who the hell these "experts" are.
    >

    > : Stephen Hodge was the "expert", his cycling credentials are sound, but he's no good on TV.
    >
    > Umm, why no good? I really appreciated his commentary as a cycling expert and as someone who has
    > actually raced the TDF. I'm curious as to what you expect in a TV TDF commentator.

    Answer: Paul and Phil. The two jokers in the studio waste too much race watching time..

    GK

  17. "Shabby" wrote:

    > I think they called it as Armstrong but it was actually Heras.

    In the footage I saw, I could have sworn I saw two come off. One got away again very quickly.

    John

  18. money money money

    "Gistane" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... What
    would be good is they are able to show a few live stages why cant they show every stage live like
    this? its not like sbs has anything on TV at the times of night that the race is on. 3 live stages
    is a good start but would be great to see more.

    Would actually also be nice to see more cycling on TV during the late nights when a race is on
    instead of maybe getting a 1hour special 1 month after a race has been run and won.

  19. Andrew Swan

    Andrew Swan Guest

    John Henderson wrote:
    > "Shabby" wrote:
    >

    >>I think they called it as Armstrong but it was actually Heras.
    >

    > In the footage I saw, I could have sworn I saw two come off. One got away again very quickly.
    >
    > John

    Beloki it was who went sideways, lost his rear tyre off the rim, and went down HARD right in front
    of Armstrong - got carted off in an ambo with suspected broken leg (you could hear him wailing on
    the SBS soundtrack!). Lance had to swerve left into a dry grassy field, which he rode across for
    about 60m before rejoining the road (cutting off a large hairpin bend in the process), but not
    before having to dismount and leap over a big ditch. It took him about 2 sec to do a flying
    remount and start pedalling - great bike skills. Phil/Paul said he used to ride MTB and
    cyclocross. Asked after the race if it reminded him of his MTB days, he quipped it reminded him
    more of his farming days.

    &roo

  20. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "John Henderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Shabby" wrote:
    >
    > > I think they called it as Armstrong but it was actually Heras.
    >
    > In the footage I saw, I could have sworn I saw two come off. One got away again very quickly.
    >
    > John

    They said (Ligget?) it might have been Armstrong as being the one that got away quickly.

    Marty