Who will win Olympic Gold?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Craig Walsh, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

In the men's (and to be fair women's) road road race in the Olympics?

I hope Voecekler does well, you can't help but like the guy!

Tags:

2. mattp71

mattp71 New Member

I'm not sure about the road race, but in the TT, I am going for Ulrich. Wonder if that will be televised in the states?

3. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

I think it will probably favour the sprinters like Stuart O'Grady, and they were talking about another Australian Michael Rogers as a chance.

Is Kloden, Vinokourov competing?

Re: Ullrich I will be interested to see how much of his public spat with his DS has had on him mentally.

4. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

I'm not a voeckler fan. The guy's just some douch bag who was in the right place at the right time when Lance didn't want to have anything to do with the yellow jersey.

5. patch70

patch70 New Member

In the men's: Bettini, Valverde, Freire, Astarloa, O'Grady, McEwen, Ullrich, Kloden, Zabel, Vinokourov, van Petegem are all racing.

I am doing the patriotic thing and tipping Stuey O'Grady.

In the women's: Oenone Wood, Nicole Cooke or maybe Susanne Ljungskog.

6. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

YOu don't have ot be a fan of someone, but is it really necessary to resort to name-calling of someone.

Eventhoguh he happened to be in a well timed breakaway, he easily earned the respect of most racing fans in the Pyrenness the way he kept fighting to hold on to the Jersey.

7. flysolo1

flysolo1 New Member

i have to agree with you i have been in the back of the pack and had to give it all i had to get back in and he did it for 10 days

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The guy gave more than he had to keep the jersey as long as he did. I wish I had the A** to do what he did. If Jan Ullrich had that kind of dedication and drive we would probably be saying Lance who? No offense to Lance I am a big fan. You should watch the Tour again luck had nothing to do with it.

9. keydates

keydates New Member

Luck sort of had something to do with it, in that Voeckler was given the chance to take the jersey in that breakaway. I believe that's when he got most of his time. If not for that, he would never have had it. However, once he did, he sure put up a fight to keep it.

10. meehs

meehs New Member

Anyone think that any of the Americans have a shot? Hincapie? Hamilton? Julich? I don't see them as favorites but just wanted to hear some opinions on their chances.

Personally I think Vino is going to take the gold.

11. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yes that is my point I believe he deserves a lot of respect considering his hugh effort. Don't get me wrong I am not comparing myself but I know what it is like to climb for a long time when you are out of gas like he was.

12. patch70

patch70 New Member

The only one with half a chance is Hincapie given the type of route. However, can't see him matching the pace of Bettini, Valverde, O'Grady, Vinokourov etc.

13. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

14. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

It's a hard one to call as regards the mens road race.
    I would dearly love to see Van Petegem win - with the retirement of Museeuw, Van Petegem is a hard raod man in the tradition of a Museeuw, Kelly, De Vlamick.
    It always intrigues me to see the likes of the road men at the opening ceremony beside the likes of Maurice Green or El Garrouj.
    So I hope Van Petegem wins - but I think Hamilton, Julich, Ullrich and Vino
    are more likely.

Mens ITT : got to go for Ullrich.

Womens race - well after her great performance in the Giro, I would dearly love to see Nicole Cooke win.
    This girl has a huge engine and she's only 19.

15. Gelli

Gelli New Member

Should be 4 fantastic events.

Don't agree that Hincapie is the only one - Think Levi could be an interesting dark horse. Valverde is my favourite, although Vino has a big chance (and has had rotten luck all year) and Bettini is the form man. Ullrich looks good too, and O'Grady if he's still in the front group. Somebody like Tötschning could be an interesting bet as well. A strong rider who can climb well, has the freedom to do whatever he likes, looks on good form, but isn't considered a big favourite so could get free whilst they watch each other. And being Swedish based, Lövkvist as a real outsider has possibilities.

Would love Cooke to get a couple of golds, but would also be a fantastic story in J C-Longo topped a stunning career with gold, and Ljungskög has a good chance. The2 Dutch look very strong, but think Melchers is the most likely of the 2 to be set up in the RR.

Mens TT is interesting as a number of the big TT men aren't riding for assorted reasons. Think the Germans will take 2 medals, Rogers a possibility, but i like the look of Thomas Dekker as well.

16. Craig Walsh

Craig Walsh New Member

When is the TT on?

Ekimov I would back as a dark horse.

17. mattp71

mattp71 New Member

Wednesday I think. I still say Ulrich! :)

18. patch70

patch70 New Member

Correct about Wednesday. Eki I think is not quite at the level he was 4 years ago. Agree with Ullrich or else Rich or Rogers.

19. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

Ekimov may be in the twilight of his career, but I have always had a general belief that if your are the defending champ at something, you are a contender to win. Just like how they describe in the TDf that wearing the Yellow Jersey makes the rider become better, its the same in this situation.

I think it will either be Ullrich or maybe a dark horse we won't think of as being a possibility.

I don't know what it is, but I think it could be a Spaniard like Gonzalez.

20. Capt.Injury

Capt.Injury New Member

Well USA had a strong showing the in the Time Trial
    Gold: Tyler Hamilton USA 57:31.74
    Silver:Viacheslav Ekimov RUS -18.84
    Bronze: Bobby Julich USA -26.45
    4. Michael Rogers Aus -29.97
    5. Michael Rich Ger -37.68
    6. Alexandre Vinokourov Kaz -1:26.40
    7. Jan Ulrich Ger -1:30.30

Guess Hamilton is recovering from that back injury quite well.