who will win this years tour de france

donhix1 said:
I am going for Ulrich. He hasn't come through in the past but I am getting this feeling that this is the Tour were age catches up to Lance.

I changed my mind and am pulling for Basso after his Giro time trials. Also I think CSC will win the team time trial.

donhix1 said:
I changed my mind and am pulling for Basso after his Giro time trials. Also I think CSC will win the team time trial.

Yeap. I Agree! I love Ivan, and with his superb performance at the Giro I cannot think he will do poorly at the TDF. Good luck :)

Neither Ullrich or Armstrong will win the TDF 2005.

I think that Ullrich won't do it with LA there, and I think LA won't win it.

I would look to Basso.

OLMO said:
I think the only rider other than Lance who can both time trial and climb is Ullrich, and he's never shown an ability to beat Lance.

Cunego and Mayo are longshots...I don't see anyone else doing damage. Basso and Kloden might win a stage, but nothing more.

Hey what about Ivan Basso?

Lance is the favorite. Hard to see anyone beating him. He does not beat himself and has perhaps his strongest supporting cast ever. Someone would have to have a serious jump in quality. Vinokourov, Basso, Ullrich, Kloden have demonstrated some power in this course and therefore are his clear rivals. I would like to see Beloki come back to top form. I think he might have been able to beat Lance if not for that horendous fall.

I said in another thread: Beloki will never be the beloki from 2001/2002! That crash has caushed mentally a lot of damash. I think it is better for him to retire.......he was a classy cyclist and always finishing at the back is no good for his image.

And agree lance can only lose from lance........getting ill, a crash or whatever (like 2003, nothing to do with jan;) )

ilpirata said:
Lance is the favorite. Hard to see anyone beating him. He does not beat himself and has perhaps his strongest supporting cast ever. Someone would have to have a serious jump in quality. Vinokourov, Basso, Ullrich, Kloden have demonstrated some power in this course and therefore are his clear rivals. I would like to see Beloki come back to top form. I think he might have been able to beat Lance if not for that horendous fall.

You may be right, when a certain age is reached it is very hard to come back from a serious injury to be a top rider again. Then again Marco Pantani showed it can be done. Beloki rides the tour in support this year. He will probably ride the Vuelta in support as well. But if he continues to grow, next year who knows? How much does he want it?
MJtje said:
I said in another thread: Beloki will never be the beloki from 2001/2002! That crash has caushed mentally a lot of damash. I think it is better for him to retire.......he was a classy cyclist and always finishing at the back is no good for his image.

And agree lance can only lose from lance........getting ill, a crash or whatever (like 2003, nothing to do with jan;) )

ilpirata said:
You may be right, when a certain age is reached it is very hard to come back from a serious injury to be a top rider again. Then again Marco Pantani showed it can be done. Beloki rides the tour in support this year. He will probably ride the Vuelta in support as well. But if he continues to grow, next year who knows? How much does he want it?
Belocki will need to improve a lot to get back to being competitive. In the first ITT of the Giro, his average speed on the descent was less than his average speed on the flat! That suggests a major loss of confidence in his bike handling skills. He also struggled on lmost every climb. Saiz was sounding pretty annoyed with him by the time he dropped out.

Basso is a great bet at 6.78/1 odds...

I don't think Lance will do it this year... and Ulrich is good for a choke. Rodgers is still a year or two away in my opinion.

I'm going with Basso.

It will be a discovery rider, when LA is not gonna make it it will be Landis.

But of course I hope Ullrich will finally beat his life-time opponent!!!!

protour said:

But of course I hope Ullrich will finally beat his life-time opponent!!!!

Isn't Landis riding for Phonak?

protour said:
I think Hugo Pena has more chances! Or Tyler Hamilton. Leipheimer is in good shape as well! Discovery really has a strong team this year!!:eek:
:)

Virenque said:
I think Hugo Pena has more chances! Or Tyler Hamilton. Leipheimer is in good shape as well! Discovery really has a strong team this year!!:eek:
Don't forget Heras. That Discovery team is STACKED this year! :D

Hahaha!:DMaybe Boonen can win a sprint or two or even a green jersey for DC! What a perfect team!:D

Lol and the guy is promoting his website big time. Haha he better start to know who is in which team:p

But to get back in controversial topic:D ......still lance;)

Virenque said:
Hahaha!:DMaybe Boonen can win a sprint or two or even a green jersey for DC! What a perfect team!:D

Heh..on cyclingnews that can happen too, but just on April 1.:)
Yes, back to the topic. I think too that Lance will win again! He won`t risk in his last race!

Virenque said:

Haha... my money is on Hamilton all the way this year. I'd love to see him running beside Phonak riders like a drunken meat head on some of the climbs, seeing how that's the only action he'll see for the next two years.

Landis has 50/1 odds of winning... the same as Popo, Heras and Cunego.

Armstrong, L 10/11
Ullrich, J 3/1
Basso, I 11/2
Vinokourov, A 9/1
Kloden, A 20/1
Mayo, I 20/1
Botero, S 28/1
Leipheimer, L 33/1
Valverde, A 33/1
Cunego, D 50/1
Heras, R 50/1
Landis, F 50/1