Who would use a 60 tooth chainring?

On Jul 18, 7:39 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Paul Myron Hobson wrote:

> > Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> >> This guy uses one every week on his "club ride":

> >>http://tinyurl.com/38uysz

> > Ctrl-f "bicycle" - NOT FOUND!

> > What does that link have to do with this? Is it the wrong TinyURL?

> Walter Mitty is a cultural reference. Reading the introduction to the
> Wikipedia article should make it clear why "Ozark Bicycle" posted the link.

Thank you for acting as cultural liaison, Thomas. :)

Michael Press wrote:

> I am odd.

In other breaking news...

Bill "fun with snips" S.

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Myron Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>Booker C. Bense wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Paul Myron Hobson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I've seen a photo of a small fixed cog with broken teeth, yes. I was
>>> not however, privy to the context in which the failure occurred.
>>>
>>> As I stated earlier, I'm open to the notion that I'm being paranoid. No
>>> one I know rides smaller than a 14T or 13T cog, especially on the
>>> streets. LBSs around here advise against almost universally[1].

>> According to Sheldon Brown you need a special lockring to use 12t
>> cogs. 11t cogs aren't available. Doesn't matter if it breaks if
>> the chain won't stay on.

>My post was poorly worded. What I meant to say was:
>
>a) no one uses cogs smaller than 15T
> or
>b) no one uses 13T or 14T cogs.
>
>I'm talking fixies too.
>\\paul

Well, for general purpose road riding 42/14 is a pretty stiff
gear for most people. I would guess that that has more to do with
their recommendations than any breakage issues. I'm sure there
are plenty of 14t and 13t cogs being ridden hard at most velodromes.

Personally, I like big/big on my fixed gear bikes. I run either
50/18 or 53/19. I can't come up with any sustainable rational
explanation for it though.

For whatwever reason, people think fixed gears put more stress on
the parts, but a gear is a gear. In general for a given gear, a
fixed gear setup gets less stress because of the optimized
chainline and chain tension.

_ Booker C. Bense

"zencycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jul 18, 10:35 pm, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:39:18 -0500, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >Walter Mitty is a cultural reference. Reading the introduction to the
> > >Wikipedia article should make it clear why "Ozark Bicycle" posted the

link.

> > "I should wear the clothing, of Sir Walter Mitty. See my tailor he's
> > called Simon, I know it's going to fit"... Ian Dorry.

> That would be Ian Dury, not Dorry. the song referenced is "Sex and
> Drugs and Rock and Roll" by Ian Dury and The Blockheads

I always thought that The Pogues did that on their album "Rum, Sodomy, &
the Lash".....

Chas.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:29:18 -0700, zencycle <[email protected]>
wrote:

>That would be Ian Dury, not Dorry. the song referenced is "Sex and
>Drugs and Rock and Roll" by Ian Dury and The Blockheads

Thank you zen master, I sit corrected.

Booker C. Bense wrote:
> Well, for general purpose road riding 42/14 is a pretty stiff
> gear for most people. I would guess that that has more to do with
> their recommendations than any breakage issues. I'm sure there
> are plenty of 14t and 13t cogs being ridden hard at most velodromes.
>
> Personally, I like big/big on my fixed gear bikes. I run either
> 50/18 or 53/19. I can't come up with any sustainable rational
> explanation for it though.

Good man. I was a 48x18 kind of guy until my frame got trashed. That
combo didn't work on the new one so I went to 46x17 (before adding a
9spd drive train). But larger gears do spread out the wear over more
teeth...can't be a bad thing. The larger curves of the chain apparently
have been attributed to better efficiency too.

> For whatwever reason, people think fixed gears put more stress on
> the parts, but a gear is a gear. In general for a given gear, a
> fixed gear setup gets less stress because of the optimized
> chainline and chain tension.

True, but the folks I was talking about ride no brakes and ride *hard*
on the street (Don't tell me they're idiots; I know they are). Even I,
at a mere 135 lbs. and more than willing to use my brake have cogs and
chain rings with noticeable wear and deformation on the backside of the
teeth from back pedaling. Maybe my chain tension was too high, but I
was using this as my reference point:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/chainchk.html

Here's my chain ring
http://www.flickr.com/photos/p_myron_h/856454974/

There is an "All Sizes" button above the photo if you'd like a closer look.

\\paul

On Jul 19, 3:03 am, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> > A friend of mine uses a 60 x 11 gear with a 700C wheel for time
> > trialing. His best is 16:42 for 10 miles. He does have a considerable
> > aero advantage, though:
> >http://photostore.chrisleck.com/gallery/2927606#157886640-M-LB

> Varna based "Moby"?

Close- it's a "Vester": the shell originally came from the Varna molds
before being extensively modified. Underneath, it's a modified
Challenge Jester lowracer.

Similarly, Lonnie Morse's machine is a modified Varna shell on a
Zephyr lowracer:
http://photostore.chrisleck.com/gallery/2927606#157886820-M-LB

Jeff

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> (just because there's a chain adjuster doesn't mean one should
> screw it in as tight as one is able with a long allen wrench)

Even hurts while reading it *ouch*

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer