Whoops!

Martin Williams

Nov 6, 2007
Hi all, new here!

I made a mistake recently, I orderd myself a new Ultegra rear brake for my Raliegh Technium Singlespeed I've built up, after accidently snapping a part on the old 105 brake I had.

Problem is, the new brake's reach is to short and If I use it I'm going to be rubbing my tires - no good!

Is there a currently available 105 or Ultegra(or comparable) rear brake available with a longer reach or do I need to look for a used one? It only needs to be 2-3 mm longer than the standard 49 mm brake. The frame was new in the early nineties so its not to old.

FWIW, I'm willing to trade my brand new Ultegra rear brake for a used 105 or Ultegra brake with a longer reach!!

Thanks for your help!!

I suppose that you have the brake pads adjusted down as far as they will go in the caliper arm? This may sound simple to some people but this is something that others may overlook. Anyway, most brakes come in short reach, nominally 47mm, and long reach, nominally 52mm. There is usually a range of adjustment of 5 - 10mm. It sounds like you needed a long reach brake which unfortunately is not what most bikes use these days. Have you called your supplier and asked him about a swap? After all, you haven't used the brake, have you?

Yeah I know to adjust position of the brake pad. Havent ridden it at all yet. I got it as a part that came off a new bike, but the person that bought it wanted to upgrade, so it was cheap and I cant return for a refund.

Really hoping I dont have to buy a new brake, dont have much cash these days. Its just irritating, I had the original 105 that came with the bike(early 90s 105) and when the brake snapped I had hoped to make this a nice time to upgrade on a single speed.... Oh well!

So anyone want to trade, my new brake for their old long reach brake? lol