Who's Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by powinc, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 at 01:40 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "mfhor" <[email protected]
    >> hippy Wrote:
    >> > "mfhor" <[email protected]
    >> > <snip much mfhor trueness>
    >> >
    >> > Sadly, mfhor, she's already left with Mr Cash Money.. $ $
    >> >
    >> > jaded hippy :p

    >> Trading stories as to the pulchritude of cyclists sighted, Bec from

    > Dude, like where did you like learn that like crazy
    > english man? I'm serious, do you find strange words
    > in the dictionary and challenge yourself to use them
    > in context? :) I've never seen "pulchritude" before..
    > it sounds kinda horrid. At least someone is fighting
    > the new english... 'SMS text'. CU L8R!

    [email protected]> dict pulchritude
    2 definitions found

    From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

    Pulchritude \Pul"chri*tude\, n. [L. pulchritudo, fr. pulcher
    beautiful.]
    1. That quality of appearance which pleases the eye; beauty;
    comeliness; grace; loveliness.
    [1913 Webster]

    Piercing our heartes with thy pulchritude. --Court
    of Love.
    [1913 Webster]

    2. Attractive moral excellence; moral beauty.
    [1913 Webster]

    By the pulchritude of their souls make up what is
    wanting in the beauty of their bodies. --Ray.
    [1913 Webster]

    From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

    pulchritude
    n : physical beauty (especially of a woman)

    I'm assuming the second definition. Moral excellence. Because I am
    surely also morally excellent.

    That's not a tau-neutrino in my pocket; I've got a hadron.

  2. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Well, too many Victorian novels at uni, maybe, or just a way to check out and comment on a girl's/lady's/chick's shape and dimensions without gettin' punched inna mouf. The sort of classy dame who might mind, mind you. My dictionary says 'beauty', but them Victorians were waaay into circumlocution and euphemistic utterance, that fancy Latin, Greek and such ;) I think that just coz it's on a screen, it doesn't have to be bonehead Anglo-Saxon. Chicks dig it too, sometimes. Some chicks.

    M "linguistically over-qualified greasemonkey" H

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    What's with Blue??? Every second person i know has a blue bike!
    Gawd it reminds me of all the nuff-nuff corporates on Collins St who think 'Royal Blue' is a really refreshing and distinct colour aaaaarrrrrggghhhhhh!!!
    Not that Im jaded mind, :rolleyes:
    Besides, your purple bike looks faster :p

    Dont you mean with your 'Wiliers' hanging out? :D

    And what's with eating Mars Bars. I read somewhere that these are about the single worst thing (apart from a pint of guinness. mmmmm guinnesssss) you could eat mid-ride.
    Or was he really just using it as 'bait' ???

  4. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Hmm, maybe there's a connotation to 'mars bar' that I don't get - maybe "Come here little girl, I've got a sweetie"? :) I hope not: if that is the implication, madam, then you are sorely mistaken ;) We do chilled filtered water and Enervit/Powerbars, and the cafe next door does an alright coffee . . . ?

    IIRC, it's a 54, we can get all the common sizes, it's not a 1-off. Price is negotiable - wheels, saddle, pedals, etc. depending. We can do it in Dura-Ace, Record, Chorus, Ultegra, or even Centaur or 105 if you really wanted. Now, that really is a sales pitch, something I promised myself I'd never do on the list. Sorry. Won't do it again.

    Bad Mark.

    M "roll up, roll up, get your Mars Bars . . . err . . . bikes 'ere" H

  5. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    heheh so long as you keep ur dogma to urself.. :p

    blue is a diluted shade of purple Dutchy!! and thanks for the thumbs up on my bewdiful cannon.. I do just leeeeerv her so!!! She has seen my thru many an interesting ride and has looked after my pulchritudinous self ;) very well indeed. Just a pity she looks faster than my legs can make her.

    Mars Bars = bait dude :D - more sofistikated than boiled lollies and yup, totally agree on the chunder value of mars bars (and a steaming latte) mid hard/long ride.

  6. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    hehehehe methinks you've spent too long in the toybox er shop mfhor or perhaps I am becoming a little too twisted in my lonely old age here in the sticks?? :rolleyes: BTW boiled lollies really dont crack it..

    and sounds like you can do a deal for me!!!! :D Once I have my dually and bank account primed for the next bike, I will hunt you down Mr not-so-LBSman!! hehehe (Sorry to have made you compromise yourself listwise tho - wasn't intentional - I may be twisted but not so devious ;) )

  7. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 at 02:27 GMT, mfhor (aka Bruce)
    > Well, too many Victorian novels at uni, maybe, or just a way to check
    > out and comment on a girl's/lady's/chick's shape and dimensions without
    > gettin' punched inna mouf. The sort of classy dame who might mind, mind
    > you. My dictionary says 'beauty', but them Victorians were waaay into
    > circumlocution and euphemistic utterance, that fancy Latin, Greek and

    You mean their words were sesquipedalian?

    > such ;) I think that just coz it's on a screen, it doesn't have to be
    > bonehead Anglo-Saxon. Chicks dig it too, sometimes. Some chicks.
    >
    > M "linguistically over-qualified greasemonkey" H

    I think siggy has something to say.

    The prolonged application of polysyllabic vocabulary infallibly
    exercises a deleterious influence on the fecundity of expression,
    rendering the ultimate tendancy apocryphal. --unk

  8. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    I wish *I* was sesquipedalian, but then I'd have to buy new knicks . . . :p

    M "doesn't everyone?" H

  9. On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:40:20 GMT, "hippy" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"mfhor" <[email protected]
    >> hippy Wrote:
    >> > "mfhor" <[email protected]
    >> > <snip much mfhor trueness>
    >> >
    >> > Sadly, mfhor, she's already left with Mr Cash Money.. $ $
    >> >
    >> > jaded hippy :p

    >> Trading stories as to the pulchritude of cyclists sighted, Bec from

    >Dude, like where did you like learn that like crazy
    >english man? I'm serious, do you find strange words
    >in the dictionary and challenge yourself to use them
    >in context? :) I've never seen "pulchritude" before..
    >it sounds kinda horrid. At least someone is fighting
    >the new english... 'SMS text'. CU L8R!

    It's a good word.

    I rather like "callipygian".

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  10. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Is this another episode of 'Let's see who can impress the girls'?

    I have a few things to say:

    1. My 2004 - and even my 1992 - Corolla is WAY more reliable than any Ferrari (aren't they known to be fairly unreliable pieces of shite?).

    2. I have to be honest - I'm not super keen on Colnagos. My ultegra equipped Scattante does the job perfectly fine. I pass plenty of folks on better bikes and I'm a fat bastard. Besides, you'd have to jump the said sugar daddy, wouldn't you? That's a nasty thought.

    3. My sewage engineer boyfriend is way better than McEwen. And I'd rather he doesn't know all kinds of poetry and Latin speech - because I don't.

    That's my 2c worth.

  11. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Doesn't Scattante mean something analogous to "poo" in Italian?

    <Joke in poor taste> Does it have anything to do with said b/f's occupation? </joke in poor taste>

    No, you're right. Sugar daddies are liable to melt in hot water. And their cars (like the bikes of certain cycling showponies) spend a lot of time in the (bike)shop.

    And what's wrong with knowing more than several words, mademoiselle? I find that they help me convey my meaning and intention to all and sundry, without which, I fear, I should be impelled to fall back upon grunts and physical violence to express myself.

    M "sorry to insult your bike, but people pass people on bikes all the time" H

  12. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    BTW, while I've got my grammar nerd's pocket protector on, it's 'Whose' when you are talking about possession of an object or quality.

    Initially I thought the thread was about the infamous Dr Michele Ferrari, Lance's pusher (oohh! wash my mouth out!). "Who's" is short for "Who is".

    Grammatical pedantry. Isn't it fun?

    M "English teacher by night, bike shop schmuck by day" H

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    jeeez. i thawt those lil' uppy bits stood for...

    "Look out. Here comes the letter 't' !" :D :D :D

    F "sick of idiot-clients capitalising every word simply cos they think everything is IMPORTANT" D

  14. DJ

    DJ Guest

    > pulchritude
    > n : physical beauty (especially of a woman)
    >
    >mmmmmm interesting!! I think I might try this one on the
    >Mrs........nah..what's the point, she'll just say "what've you done, what
    >do you want"????? she just won't
    >understand................rolleyes:)

    DJ

  15. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    aw cmon, leave off on the colnago!

    while im always prone to a good generalisation every so often (in relation to say, triathletes for example), i ride a colnago, got it second hand and cheap and do not sit at the back of the bunch (except when im creeping after that extra beer at friday after workies). I know, there are plenty of tossers on colnagos but geez, im sure there are heaps on giants, eddy mercx's, etc (another generalisation). so lets not beat up on poor ernesto. He looks so frail in photos how could you sully his name!
    Pick on eddy instead. He is big enough to look after himself and take the arrows of criticism!......or even greg lemond.

  16. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Speaking of Eddy Mercx, I heard a story about a rep here in Brisbane who told his son (Axl isn't it?) "Your dad was a B grader!". Apparently he didn't like hearing that.

    Sometimes, having balls would be so great.

  17. nitrous

    nitrous New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2004
    Speaking of tossers, I'm sure you'll also find plenty of them driving Ferrari's.

    Got nothing against Colnago's Think they're great bikes. Only problem is they are TOO great for 95% of the people who ride them. But, if you've got the cash and want the best then who's going to stop you.

  18. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    Sheesh!.. No .. it's another episode of "I am bored at work so let's have some fun!!!"

    sigh.... pass me a mars bar someone!!! thanks :p

  19. On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 20:28:14 +1100, warrwych
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >LotteBum Wrote:
    >> Is this another episode of 'Let's see who can impress the girls'?

    No. It was an inquiry about who owned a car.

    >> I have a few things to say:

    Good for you.

    >> 1. My 2004 - and even my 1992 - Corolla is WAY more reliable than any
    >> Ferrari

    And you have the stats to back it up?

    >>(aren't they known to be fairly unreliable pieces of shite?).

    No.

    HTH

    >> 2. I have to be honest - I'm not super keen on Colnagos.

    Why not? They've been making nice bikes for a long time. And their
    current stuff is really rather good. Have a go on a C50 with a good
    groupset and some good wheels and see what you think

    >>My ultegra
    >> equipped Scattante does the job perfectly fine.

    That's good. I've got an Ultegra equipped Reynolds 531c bike from 1988
    and it still does the job fine. It doesn't do it as well as my 2001
    Chorus equipped Scapin Pro-Team with the nifty WoundUp forks,
    asymmetric curved seat stays and asymmetric chain stays, but, hey!,
    that's progress and engineering for you.

    >> I pass plenty of folks
    >> on better bikes and I'm a fat bastard. Besides, you'd have to jump the
    >> said sugar daddy, wouldn't you? That's a nasty thought.

    Who says the Ferrari isn't owned by a chick?

    >> 3. My sewage engineer boyfriend is way better than McEwen.

    Good for you :) He's a lucky guy to have someone who feels about him
    like you do.

    But when it comes to bike racing, McEwen is a class act. He's not just
    fast, he's smart.

    >> And I'd
    >> rather he doesn't know all kinds of poetry and Latin speech - because I
    >> don't.

    I'm sure he could come up with something dead sexy in Latin that would
    rock your socks. The Romans were a pretty horny lot.

    --
    Regards.
    Richard.

  20. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Mfhor... that bike shop you are refering to is the one I picked up my Pinarello from... the Fassa Bortolo Galileo... awesome machine that! my only issue is getting onto the big cog is tricky sometimes, it doesn't want to shift up... i'll bring it in when i get back in town...

    Did Don manage to get any size 5 Fassa Bortolo shorts in? I was after them.

    thanks.