Who's going to lose time on Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Andrija, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Andrija

Andrija Member

After prologue, next stage where everybody expects new time gaps is on Tuesday, over cobblestones of Paris - Roubaix.
    Not that some changes can't happen on Sunday and Monday, just that Tuesday's stage was reconnoitered by everyone that matters.

Tags:

2. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I only picked one rider, although I'm sure more than one will probably lose some time, but I certainly see Sastre losing time on this stage. He was my pick.

3. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

i'm going with menchov. he might just burst into flames on the cobbles.

4. Andrija

Andrija Member

Sastre, Basso, Menchov and both Sanchez's certainly. Contador said that about minute is acceptable loss. Now, he might go as strong as he can, trying to keep his deficit on prologue level. Same for Schlecks, who'll be led by Cancellara.

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

No one's going to lose time relative to anyone else in the field because they're all going to be riding in the same gravitational field...so there aren't going to be any changes in time as a result of changes in gravitational field. More importantly, speed differences between the riders will be essentially zero compared to the speed of light; therefore, given γ=(√(1-(v/c)^2))^(-1) and t'=γ(t-vx/(c^2)) both reduce to zero in the limit that the cyclists' speeds are zero compared to the speed of light. Hell , even stationary observers of the race aren't going to lose any significant amount of time to the racers. In the end, in Paris, everyone will still be essentially on the same time.

6. Andrija

Andrija Member

Depends on where you put point of reference.
    If you put it on first rider over the finish line on Porte du Hainaut on Tuesday afternoon, everyone who finishes behind the winner will lose some time, depending on how far they are. That's the way to measure time using distance. Newton mechanics should be applied in this case.

7. alienator

So, you're saying that Special Relativity doesn't apply here, eh? Hmmm. I guess humor doesn't translate well. :D

8. Andrija

Andrija Member

On contrary.
    It translates very well.

9. alienator

I think the Lortentz could be applicable if Hendrik Lorentz were known to have been a cycling fan. If he wasn't, then applying his transformations would be as appropriate as wearing a NASCAR t-shirt to an auction at Christie's.

10. Andrija

Andrija Member

Not if you're biding for David Pearson's Ford Torino.

11. genedan

genedan New Member

let's just hope PvP gave Contador some good pointers...

Now, who do you think will win stage 3?

Fabian has to protect Andy and Frank, especially near the end where all the hard cobbles are, so he might not be able to go solo to the finish. I'm thinking Thor might take it if he's in the front at the finish, or maybe Flecha will get some freedom to go?

12. alienator

Two good pointers would be:
    1. Don't crash.
    2. Holster the finger-bang thing: it makes you look like a goober.

13. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Special Relitivity only applies to the Saxo Bank bikes dependent to the state of charge of their batteries.

14. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Just thinking about the 3rd stage a little bit more... Radioshack should have a good showing as a team (they are always prepared when it comes to the tour) and I wouldn't be surprised to see Astana ride well (not sure why, I just have a feeling). Watch out for BMC. I would say that Saxo with FC look like the "bee's knees", but I don't see the brothers performing well, which will obviously hold back Spartacus. BMC, however have some other strong classic's riders (including riders who have performed well in Paris-Roubaix and Flanders). Hincapie, Ballan, Burghardt and Kroon should fair well in keeping Evans, who also knows how to ride on ugly roads, in a good place towards the finish.

But who knows what could happen with the heightened threat of punctures and crashes? Can't wait though...

15. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Wind has more potential than cobblestones to cost riders time for the first 6 stages. If there are strong cross winds it is likely there will be breaks in the peloton like there were last year - and subsequent time gaps.

16. Andrija

Andrija Member

After today's stage to Spa, tomorrow should be very interesting. Everything is telling it's going to be very nervous.
    I can't imagine a situation like today when majority agreed to hold and wait. There were some unhappy riders today already.
    With Chavanel in Yellow jersey Schlecks (or any other GC rider), won't have protection.

17. Chavez

Chavez New Member

....but will Saxo turn Voigt loose?

18. Andrija

Andrija Member

It's not Voigt's cup of tea. This stage is for Cancellara, but both of them will have to protect their GC riders. They'll go for stage victory only if Schlecks are safe.

19. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

I'm guessing the Schlecks won't be safe. They had to put in a hard effort today to get back to the bunch even if it was riding tempo so I'd say they're going to be hurting more than some others. They also suck on the cobbles.

Canc losing yellow might actually help Saxo here. He doesn't have to defend the jersey so can put all his effort into protecting the Schlecks. He's got O'Grady beside him as well. Between those two they should be able to keep the amount of time lost to a few minutes. Take it easy over the cobbles then absolutely hammer it on the flat sections to make up time.

20. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

There wont be any time gaps, there all gona sit up and hold hands across the line again:p It will be another stage where a break away will probably take it out