Who's going to win the green jersey?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Eldrack, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

So, similar thread to the who's going to win the overall. With Boonen and Haussler out who do you think has it in their legs to be not just fast but also extremely consistent over the 3 weeks. After all, Cavendish was easily the fastest man at last years Tour but Hushovd beat him by being more consistent and toughing it out for points by going into breaks. Oh, and not falling foul of bizarre decisions by the race jury, that's important to :p.

Anyway, I've listed a few contenders, who do you think is going to win?

Tags:

2. Andrija

Andrija Member

I voted for Cavendish, but he'll have to be calmer than he currently is and keep an eye on Hushovd, Freire, McEwen. Their experience could bring him some trouble if he doesn't collect enough points before Pyrenees. And it looks like he won't be so dominant in Sprint finishes like he was last year. Maybe we could even see him in a breakaway with Hushovd or Freire in some high mountain stage.
    He should have followed Hushovd last year. But it looked like he couldn't.

3. pennstater

pennstater New Member

I'm taking Freire. Cavendish seems like the obvious choice, but he hasn't ridden nearly as well this year as he did last year before the Tour. Of course some of the things are due to health/dental problems and the fact that Renshaw was sidelined. Also, even with Renshaw listed in the Tour's start list, he hasn't had much racing this year and might not be the same lead out man that Cavendish had in the 2009 Tour.

4. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

My dislike for the 'dish showing, I hope anybody but him. Probably Hushovd again, but Friere will be there, as always lurking...

5. Andrija

Andrija Member

Freire will have to fight for every sprint finish before the Pyrenees and hopefuly win couple.
    Stage 16 to Pau looks interesting with all sprints after the last climb. Rabo and Cervelo could join their forces (in hunt for jerseys) and maybe even find help in teams with other overall contenders depending on general classification at the moment.
    Rogers and Martin could play very important role in the mountains if they'll have to protect Cavendish and fight for the overall in the same time.

6. tonyzackery

CN's reporting that both Boonen and Haussler will not start due to injury - not that they were going to bear on the Green Jersey anyway...

7. Chavez

Chavez New Member

Exactly why he won't win it - Hushovd has shown a willingness and ability to get out and get points on the road; I think with his mindset, and other teams going out of their way to disrupt the HTC leadouts (a tactic which has had some effectiveness so far), Cav will be frustrated again.

8. Andrija

Andrija Member

Hushovd is biggest threat to Cavendish, since Boonen and Gilbert won't ride.
    There will be less opponents, who'll want to use advantage of home turf and road knowledge before the Alps, to win a stage or rip off some Green jersey's points on the way to finish line.
    Is not that Gilbert is some dedicated Green jersey contender, but early success could wake his ambitions in latter phase of the race.

9. Andrija

Andrija Member

It looks like Renshaw could follow Hushovd and Freire in eventual breakaways.
    Tour de France - Cavendish plans to strike early - Yahoo! Eurosport

10. Yonni

Yonni New Member

It's definitely a 2 horse race this year (cue a mass pile-up in the first week to put the favourites out and open up the competition). Cav's biggest problem could be guys like Freire nicking the odd win and limiting his chances. He's got to win the most sprint stages. He said in Cycling Weekly this week that he won't contest intermediate points unless he's desperate. I don't think it's his style and would probably take too much out of him over 3 weeks. He is going better than a lot of people think just now and, despite a troublesome start to the season with operations and crashes, he is where he needs to be.

Come on you arrogant SOB do it with personality and light 'em up!

11. Chavez

Chavez New Member

If I see that, I'll have to go get my eyes checked.

Well, unless he grabs onto the wheel of another HTC rider or two to get into the break.

12. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I don't think that Cavendish will even beat McEwen on points, and is unlikely to be in Hushovd's league.

13. tonyzackery

Personalities aside, I just can't get with the top sprinter in the tour not winning the Green jersey for the second year in a row. More points need to be given to a stage winner - or something...the current point distribution set-up is broke and needs fixin', IMO...

14. Yonni

Yonni New Member

I know what you mean but this is not a sprinters jersey it's a points jersey for the most consistent rider. There was a sprinters jersey but it was abandoned in the 1980s I think. It does seem like a hollow victory to take Green when you know you weren't even in the same league as the guy who came second. They will never make a pure sprinters jersey as long as Cavendish is so dominant. It's the same as the Olympic commitee deciding that in track cycling (but no other sports) that only one competitor per country can compete in any one event. No interest in seeing the best in the world compete against each other in case the Brits dominate again. It's pathetic, small minded and cowardly.

Rant over. Carry on as you were.

15. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Still nobody chose Petacchi to be the eventual winner eh?? My pick was Hushovd as well and he did ride well. Loved how he even went on that breakaway and took some points. I'll give him credit. But when it comes down to an all out sprint. I don't think anyone can take anything away from Cav. He's on a different level. Definitely kept me glued to the tv.

16. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Full marks to Petacchi. The man's never even finished before. Still, each flat stage, I was hoping that anyone but Cav would win - he's just too dominant and he makes those flat stages even more boring. I'd have been happy to see Petacchi, Hushovd or McEwen take green.

17. pennstater

pennstater New Member

Don't be too happy for Petacchi. He might just have his jersey stripped after this new italian doping investigation. Don't know much about the investigation, but it could mean bad news. Does anyone know of any other riders caught up in this circus?

18. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

yeah, but you'd need to dig around in the cyclingnews archives from a few weeks/months ago.