Who's out tomorrow then?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul, Dec 24, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before the
    'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?

    Best wishes to everyone for a safe and happy Christmas.

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?

    Hope so. Planning my first 'leisure ride' for about 3 months.

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?
    >
    > Best wishes to everyone for a safe and happy Christmas.
    >
    > Paul

    Yes I hope to do about 50 miles.

  4. Paul - xxx

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Paul composed the following ...
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?

    We're taking my sons, my brother and his son and two other children out
    Trials (motorbike) riding .. but we'lll also have three mountain bikes and
    three BMX bikes strapped on the trailer too .. ;)

    We wanna get _really_ muddy ... ;)

    > Best wishes to everyone for a safe and happy Christmas.

    And to you and yours.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

  5. Well, provided I can get the turkey in early enough...

    I'll be trying out Mr. Frosty!

    Cheers, helen s
    (who hasn't stopped grinning like a demented idiot all afternoon...)

  6. MSA

    MSA Guest

    Nope, haven't got time tomorrow unfortunately...but I will get in an
    hours run somewhere.

    I will however be out Boxing day.

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    Remember, half the people you know are below average

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    > Well, provided I can get the turkey in early enough...

    Hmm.. I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    church after midnight communion..

    Won't get much of any sort of long ride[1] in as I am suffering a code
    id de dose and feeling somewhat under the weather (despite the snow
    lying thin and slushy outside).

    ...d

    [1] Long ride: one which I would get dressed up in cyclign togs for..

  8. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:40:54 +0000, David Martin
    <[email protected]>:

    >I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    >church after midnight communion..

    Lucky you. Midnight mass on Christmas Eve is one of my favourite
    services of the year, but it's on hold until the apprentices are a bit
    older.

    Guy
    --
    "then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
    blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:40:54 +0000, David Martin
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >

    >>I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    >>church after midnight communion..

    > Lucky you. Midnight mass on Christmas Eve is one of my favourite
    > services of the year, but it's on hold until the apprentices are a bit
    > older.

    The weans are staying put with t'other half. Should all be asleep for me
    to do my Santa bit when I get back.

    ...d

  10. >Lucky you. Midnight mass on Christmas Eve is one of my favourite
    >services of the year, but it's on hold until the apprentices are a bit
    >older.
    >
    >Guy

    My favourite service is one held at the Catholic church in Swaffham. Sadly not
    held this year due to shortage of priest in another town.. The church has, for
    many years now, held a late afternoon Christmas mass aimed primarily for
    children. It's a happy service, full of song and quite light, where all the
    kids go to the front, sit round the altar & the Christmas story is read out.
    It's a really friendly, warm event, even for this non-Catholic. At the end all
    the kids would get a small present. Lovely.

    Festive cheers, helen s

  11. Whazzarke

    Whazzarke Guest

    MSA wrote:

    > I will however be out Boxing day.

    I had planned to have a spin up Holme Moss on Boxing day... but I've
    bust my collar-bone in Tesco's slimey car park. I mention this as my
    contribution to the "Festive Cheer"... 'cos everyboby I've told seems to
    find it very amusing - including the quack in A&E. However, I do have a
    list of names and will be working on the wax effigies (as soon as I have
    two arms working, of course)

    As Mr Larrington so succinctly puts it.... Bah!

    Happy Christmas everybody.
    Steve

  12. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >
    >> Well, provided I can get the turkey in early enough...

    > Hmm.. I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    > church after midnight communion..

    But thats illegal.

    According to the Holy Days Act of 1551 (which has not been repealed)
    everyone must attend church on Christmas Day and must no use any type of
    vehicle.

    I guess since your journey commences on Dec 24th you'll be OK ;-)

  13. Paul wrote:
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't

    look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out

    very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully

    before the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out

    tomorrow?

    Yes, I'll be out tomorrow cycling to work again. Last night's ride home
    was interesting. An old woman walked out in front of my bike as she
    crossed the road at 2245 out of a pub.

    Before I reached her she fell as if hit by a bullet and smashed her
    head on the road. I stopped my bike and another bloke down the road
    stopped the cars reaching her. I walked into the pub to get help and a
    man came out with a mobile phone and called for an ambulance.

    We both carried her to the pavement and lay her down and a woman gave
    her a coat. Her forehead had a nasty gash like a glass bowl that has a
    "star crack" in it. I could do no more so headed off into the 50 mph
    head wind past the Infirmary where an ambulance was heading the
    opposite way. I do hope she is OK.

    It restored my faith in human nature. She had four good Samaritans in
    less than a minute.
    --
    Simon M.

  14. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 21:03:24 +0000, Whazzarke wrote:

    > MSA wrote:
    >>
    >> I will however be out Boxing day.
    >>

    > I had planned to have a spin up Holme Moss on Boxing day... but I've
    > bust my collar-bone in Tesco's slimey car park. I mention this as my
    > contribution to the "Festive Cheer"... 'cos everyboby I've told seems to
    > find it very amusing - including the quack in A&E. However, I do have a
    > list of names and will be working on the wax effigies (as soon as I have
    > two arms working, of course)
    >
    > As Mr Larrington so succinctly puts it.... Bah!
    >
    > Happy Christmas everybody.
    > Steve

    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the collarbone. I broke mine about 10 weeks ago
    and now it's right as rain.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  15. Jon is Away!

    Jon is Away! Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't

    look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out

    very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully

    before the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out

    tomorrow?

    Hopefully. I was intending to cycle or run today (May still run
    actually!), but failing that I will definately be out for a potter at
    some point.

    I'll be representing the 'old bike brigade'. I'm currently riding the
    fixer and the frame that it's based on is almost certainly older than
    me. ;-)

    Jon

  16. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    >
    >> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, provided I can get the turkey in early enough...

    >> Hmm.. I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    >> church after midnight communion..
    >>

    > But thats illegal.
    >
    > According to the Holy Days Act of 1551 (which has not been repealed)
    > everyone must attend church on Christmas Day and must no use any type of
    > vehicle.

    I don't think attendance is obligatory, but use of a vehicle is indeed
    forbidden. It may however have been superseded by some other act
    regarding religious freedom. It isn't a traffic offence in any case.

    And then I'll be out on the village green doing my archery practice on
    Boxing day, and probably being arrested for carrying an offensive weapon..

    ...d

  17. MSeries <[email protected]> wrote:

    | David Martin wrote:
    | > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    | >
    | >> Well, provided I can get the turkey in early enough...
    | >

    | > Hmm.. I'll be out before all of you then as I'll be cycling home from
    | > church after midnight communion..
    | >
    | But thats illegal.
    |
    | According to the Holy Days Act of 1551 (which has not been repealed)
    | everyone must attend church on Christmas Day and must no use any type of
    | vehicle.
    |
    | I guess since your journey commences on Dec 24th you'll be OK ;-)

    [cross-posted with the other uk.r.c]

    Never heard of that. Opinions on the kosheryness?

    --
    Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph.html

  18. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Martin wrote:

    > I don't think attendance is obligatory, but use of a vehicle is indeed
    > forbidden. It may however have been superseded by some other act
    > regarding religious freedom. It isn't a traffic offence in any case.

    Its the Holy Days and Fasting Days Act 1551 and it is obligatory (still)
    and moreover if you park a vehicle near the church it should be
    appropriated and sold for the poor under a law passed by George III in 1780.

    > And then I'll be out on the village green doing my archery practice on
    > Boxing day, and probably being arrested for carrying an offensive weapon..

    As long as you stick to archery, leaping or vaulting on Christmas Day as
    all other sports are illegal under the Unlawful Games Act of 1541. If
    you have to go to work, make sure its someone else's job as doing your
    own job on Christmas Day (1677) is also illegal as is eating a Christmas
    Dinner of more than three course (Long Parliament 1646), Christmas
    Pudding and Mince Pies (Henry VIII, 1536)

    So enjoy Christmas ;-)

    Tony

  19. On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:21:45 -0000, "Tony W"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    >> great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    >> early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before the
    >> 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?

    >Hope so. Planning my first 'leisure ride' for about 3 months.

    I will be with you in spirit [1] but will need to spend at least some
    of the day building a new wheel, otherwise I will be sans velo for the
    whole of the Christmas period.

    Merry Christmas everyone

    John T.
    [1] pun intended
    Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  20. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > Just had a look at the forecast for tomorrow and, whilst it doesn't look
    > great, I have a ride planned in the morning and will probably go out very
    > early. I just fancy having a spin when it's quiet and hopefully before

    the
    > 'new bike brigade' emerge. Will anyone else from the ng be out tomorrow?

    It was under consideration and this morning in Leicester is bright and clear
    but after windsurfing yesterday the old limbs are aching so I'll postpone
    until tomorrow (Boxing day), unless, of course, I get fed up looking out the
    window at the beautiful morning and decide to immerse myself in it properly.
    Hmm....I ought at least to check tyre pressures, and think how clear the
    roads will be....

    To those who are riding today, have a good one.
    Pete