Who's Swapping Parts?

$250 for a bike fit is very steep in my frugal opinion:eek:.

But clipless pedals are actually safer! Nothing wrong with biking in your nikes if you prefer but I'm willing to bet you'll like clipless after you try them.

xxtimber said:
But clipless pedals are actually safer! Nothing wrong with biking in your nikes if you prefer but I'm willing to bet you'll like clipless after you try them.

They're certainly not dangerous. They release in an accident, and the following over while clipped in isn't a pedal release problem: it's a user problem. It's a personal choice, but exaggerations about being "glued in" or their "too many risks" is just mental masturbation. Perceived risk is almost always greater than actual risk.

baker3 said:
This is the exact reason I believe clip in pedals should be banned, being locked into ones pedals doesn't make one feel very safe.

Thank you for that!

xxtimber said:
$250 for a bike fit is very steep in my frugal opinion:eek:.

I don't find a fitting worth more than about $50. The process can't be that much different than getting fitted for a new pair of dress-pants at Men's Wearhouse. I could be wrong, and I probably am, but to my understanding, a fitting consists of someone taking your measurements and typing them into a computer, and then the results come back. This sounds like that $70 trip to a car dealership to find out why your "Check Engine Light" is flashing when you could have found out the same info at Auto Zone for free. It wouldn't surprise me if this software could be found online...

A buddy of mine just got some attachments for the pedals that the toe of a shoe will fit in, which sort of acts like a clip, and those I may try, but there's no way I'm wearing something that literally attaches me to a bike.

alienator said:
They're certainly not dangerous. They release in an accident, and the following over while clipped in isn't a pedal release problem: it's a user problem. It's a personal choice, but exaggerations about being "glued in" or their "too many risks" is just mental masturbation. Perceived risk is almost always greater than actual risk.

Hey, look, guys! They're not dangerous! They release in an accident! :rolleyes: That's just great! I have to crash BEFORE they release! LOL! Yeah, sure makes me feel safe. :rolleyes:

And wow, imagine that, "it's a user problem." You're right; it sure is, isn't it, because the "user" is going to be the person lying in a hospital bed after having to make an emergency stop for the jackass who just ran red in the H2 and wound up tipping over into the rocky ditch on the right side of him/her because his/her shoe wouldn't detach from the bike.

Strike another point up for Captain Obvious. If he were female, we could all address him by the name, "Ms. Information."

baker3 said:
This is the exact reason I believe clip in pedals should be banned, being locked into ones pedals doesn't make one feel very safe.

Really? There's no body of evidence to support the need for a law banning clipless pedals. By your reasoning, ski bindings should also be banned as they function the same way. Likewise, seat belts should banned because they don't even release automatically!

GT Fanatic said:
Hey, look, guys! They're not dangerous! They release in an accident! :rolleyes: That's just great! I have to crash BEFORE they release! LOL! Yeah, sure makes me feel safe. :rolleyes:

And wow, imagine that, "it's a user problem." You're right; it sure is, isn't it, because the "user" is going to be the person lying in a hospital bed after having to make an emergency stop for the jackass who just ran red in the H2 and wound up tipping over into the rocky ditch on the right side of him/her because his/her shoe wouldn't detach from the bike.

Strike another point up for Captain Obvious. If he were female, we could all address him by the name, "Ms. Information."

It's amazing how much you think you know about something you don't use and likely have never used! Truly amazing! Captain Obvious says that you keep missing the obvious!

Perhaps you ought to steer clear of bikes, what with them being so dangerous and all!

alienator said:
It's amazing how much you think you know about something you don't use and likely have never used! Truly amazing! Captain Obvious says that you keep missing the obvious!

Perhaps you ought to steer clear of bikes, what with them being so dangerous and all!

Do you have a job, or do you just receive notices on your phone when someone posts, and then you go running to the computer to post back? I'm just curious, because no matter what time I post something, I can always count on checking a post 3 minutes later, and there you are, sludging up the entire thread.

I'm going to guess you racked up your 5000+ toolish posts by sitting behind a computer on Cycling Forums all day while your wife works...

Ok I am officially out of this thread. You folks know waay more than I, and are a little above my level of intellect, so I'll just quietly go out the back :).

BTW, maybe I should've explained, the pro fit is $250 ($275 now), but since I got my bike there, I got a $200 discount. But I know tons of people that go there and pay that $$$ to get fitted, and they purchased their bike long ago somewhere else.

Anyways, since you'll be just strolling around the house on your bike with your Nikes and basketball shorts on (which is fine), everything I've posted is pretty much meaningless to you, (or to my brother-in law who'd rather go and take a nap).

Just one more little piece of advice before I depart, I think you would benefit the most from a hybrid bike like this one :

gman0482 said:
Ok I am officially out of this thread. You folks know waay more than I, and are a little above my level of intellect, so I'll just quietly go out the back :).

BTW, maybe I should've explained, the pro fit is $250 ($275 now), but since I got my bike there, I got a $200 discount. But I know tons of people that go there and pay that $$$ to get fitted, and they purchased their bike long ago somewhere else.

Anyways, since you'll be just strolling around the house on your bike with your Nikes and basketball shorts on (which is fine), everything I've posted is pretty much meaningless to you, (or to my brother-in law who'd rather go and take a nap).

Look, I appreciate your advice, and I will consider it if I deem it necessary in the future to get fitted to my bike.

As for fitting, maybe you can explain what goes into it, because I can't see how anything is going to go into it other than making sure my seat is the right height and the reach to the handlebars is the right height. You keep telling me there's more to it, but what is there? If the seat's the right height, the pedal-stroke is going to be the right height. Then, the handlebars/neck height get adjusted. What else is there that I'm going to be paying for?

GT Fanatic said:
Look, I appreciate your advice, and I will consider it if I deem it necessary in the future to get fitted to my bike.

As for fitting, maybe you can explain what goes into it, because I can't see how anything is going to go into it other than making sure my seat is the right height and the reach to the handlebars is the right height. You keep telling me there's more to it, but what is there? If the seat's the right height, the pedal-stroke is going to be the right height. Then, the handlebars/neck height get adjusted. What else is there that I'm going to be paying for?

He gave you links re: fitting. I suggest you have someone read them to you. LIkewise, it's dead simple to use one of those search engine things.

alienator said:
He gave you links re: fitting. I suggest you have someone read them to you. LIkewise, it's dead simple to use one of those search engine things.

I don't recall anybody talking to you or asking you. Nobody cares what you suggest. You have less credibility than dog **** as far as I'm concerned. I believe I've mentioned that a time or three.

Well after reading some of your rescent posts, you should completely forget about that whole fit business. I again will recommend a cruiser/hybrid bike. You should trade in/return the road bike, and swap it for one of these. You'll be much more comfortable on it, and it works better with riding in plain clothes.

Look into it, a hybrid bike / cruiser bike :

gman0482 said:
Well after reading some of your rescent posts, you should completely forget about that whole fit business. I again will recommend a cruiser/hybrid bike. You should trade in/return the road bike, and swap it for one of these. You'll be much more comfortable on it, and it works better with riding in plain clothes.

Look into it, a hybrid bike / cruiser bike :

No thanks. I'm very comfortable on both, my mountain bike and my road bike. Owning a lame cruiser/hybrid holds no appeal for me.

I don't see the point in a fit at this moment if I'm comfortable on the bikes I'm riding. I don't ride for sport, nor do I ever plan to. I ride with the cycle club I belong to, and I participate in some of the charity rides. My riding is for pure enjoyment, and nothing more.

The act of spending $200 to have someone stick a tape measure up between my legs to tell me how high my seat needs to be when I don't compete is nothing short of pretentious. I fit comfortably on the saddle, I know how high the saddle needs to be for me to get a full pedal-stroke, and I have a comfortable reach to the handlebars. As far as I'm concerned, if I can complete a long ride and when I finish, I don't feel beat up, I already have the optimal seating/pedaling position.

gman0482 said:
He needs to get his elbows in and his head down. Other than that he looks good.

We shouldl wait to get Alienator's opinion. He's the authority on all things biking. :D

alienator said:
Hmmm. I wonder if that bike should have a CF seat post?

Wow, if that wasn't lame, I don't know what is... :rolleyes:

Didn't anyone ever tell you, if you were going to be funny, just be funny?

GT Fanatic said:
Just bought a brand new 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 on Monday.

So, I decided to take some pics, and upon review, I noticed my seat-post has "Trail Tuned" stamped on it. I thought that was a bit odd, considering it's a road bike.

I reviewed Performance Bike's ..... Any suggestions on my next means of action should be if this falls through with Performance and Schwinn?

well, Performance has been pretty good to me over the years but you bought the bike at the store? So you saw what you were buying? you can try , but unless it's defective, a replacement would be entirely at their own discretion.
Anyway you can get carbon seat post on Ebay for 20 bucks...