Who's Swapping Parts?

GT Fanatic said:
I totally agree with you. The salesman did take the time to make sure the stand-over was correct, adjusted the saddle to the proper seating height, and messed a tad with the reach on the handlebars. While this method of fitment may not be optimal, it was close enough that I feel very comfortable on the bike.

FWIW though, I understand time is money, but the cost of $100 for a proper fitment is preposterous. IMO, this is no different than getting fitted for a suit. I can't imagine this process takes more than a few minutes to complete; somebody takes a few measurements and you're done, lickity-split.

Unfortunately, you won't know if the fit was correct until you start having problems (knee, elbow, hands, neck, back, feet, saddle sores etc) and "proper fit" is a non issue if you ride occasionally. But be careful as you ride more and more and listen to your body...

rparedes said:
well, Performance has been pretty good to me over the years but you bought the bike at the store? So you saw what you were buying? you can try , but unless it's defective, a replacement would be entirely at their own discretion.
Anyway you can get carbon seat post on Ebay for 20 bucks...

I understand what you're saying about seeing the bike in person, but how many people start removing parts off of bikes? It's assumed that the parts are what they are supposed to be. Sure, the "live and learn" lesson certainly applies, but when things are advertised with particular components, regardless what it is, that's what the consumer expects to get.

Sure, there's the whole "We reserve the right to blah blah blah," but if that's the case, then the information on a website should be modified to reflect those changes.

rparedes said:
Unfortunately, you won't know if the fit was correct until you start having problems (knee, elbow, hands, neck, back, feet, saddle sores etc) and "proper fit" is a non issue if you ride occasionally. But be careful as you ride more and more and listen to your body...

We rode about 18 miles last night and hit some pretty hilly terrain, and I have sore elbows, but that's it. One of the experienced riders in the club mentioned the stem looked a little bit long and I should probably get a shorter one because I looked slightly stretched out, and not to be surprised if I woke up with sore elbows. He called it.

There's a bike shop about 25-30 miles away that will do pro fits for our club members for $75, so I might just bite and have it done. If I need a new stem, it shouldn't be hard to find one for $30-$45. For the added comfort on longer rides, I guess I guess a fitting will pay for itself in the long run.

P.S.- GMan, Okay, you can gloat now. I'm probably going to get fitted. You were right. :eek:

GT Fanatic said:
You should see my 5100 sq ft trailer! Don't forget, you should see my $65,000 worth of cars, too, plus the one with the $7000 engine! Oh, damn, my wife's Audi wasn't in the garage! LOL! Wait...I have two more guitars at $3000 that weren't pictured there, either! LOL!

While we're at it, in the third picture down, see those paintings on the wall? Yeah, they were over $8000...each. Yep, those are Peter Max originals.

It must suck to be an "adult" and still live in your parents' basement. Tell me what it's like, because I wouldn't know. LOL!

Your posts hold no credibility with me. You mean nothing to me. You're just some sorry little gimp on a forum who has nothing, does nothing, and is nothing.

Oh yeah, you wanted to see that trailer...

House.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

Cars.jpg

62.jpg

MusicRoom1.jpg

Now, let's see YOUR (parents') trailer! LOL!

<Sigh> Life is wonderful. :D

As to the original question regarding the seatposts. Some of the best seatposts in the business are aluminum. Shimano's old Dura Ace post was the business - and used by Lance and co for years because if was strong and light. Thompson seatposts are even lighter, lighter than pretty much all composite posts and pretty much bombproof. Without knowing it, you may have actually got a better piece of kit - i.e. something that doesn't break if the bike falls over or when you crash. Functional is good, very good.

Why is it you seem bent on a p1ssing contest in most threads?

I'm guessing with the sun and surrounding terrain you're out in the boonies of somewhere warm like Texas or New Mexico. That'd put the house worth about the same as a shoe box in Northern California.

$7000 engine. Boohoo. I thought for a second you were making out like you were spending lots on cars.

... and since you're getting all pedantic about the cost of guitars - why would you plug expensive guitars in through something like that Crate?

Nice 'blue watering plant thingy' from the dollar store... Scream class.

baker3 said:
This is the exact reason I believe clip in pedals should be banned, being locked into ones pedals doesn't make one feel very safe.

If you don't like them, don't use them. Takes a little while to feel comfortable with them but after you do, you will never ride without them...

swampy1970 said:
As to the original question regarding the seatposts. Some of the best seatposts in the business are aluminum. Shimano's old Dura Ace post was the business - and used by Lance and co for years because if was strong and light. Thompson seatposts are even lighter, lighter than pretty much all composite posts and pretty much bombproof. Without knowing it, you may have actually got a better piece of kit - i.e. something that doesn't break if the bike falls over or when you crash. Functional is good, very good.

Why is it you seem bent on a p1ssing contest in most threads?

I'm guessing with the sun and surrounding terrain you're out in the boonies of somewhere warm like Texas or New Mexico. That'd put the house worth about the same as a shoe box in Northern California.

$7000 engine. Boohoo. I thought for a second you were making out like you were spending lots on cars.

... and since you're getting all pedantic about the cost of guitars - why would you plug expensive guitars in through something like that Crate?

Nice 'blue watering plant thingy' from the dollar store... Scream class.

I'm bent on a pissing contest? Read your first post you EVER addressed me in, which can be located in the "Cannondale Vs Specialized" thread, dumbass.

Nope, I don't live in either Texas or New Mexico. I wouldn't live in either; too many illegals. I've already posted where I live. Try reading sometime. As for the house being dirt cheap compared to anything in NoCal, nearly everything's cheap compared to a home in NoCal. Since you're such a real-estate expert, you'd know that my "cheap home" was $540,000. Your comments sound like justification for your jealousy.

Why would I plug expensive guitars through a Crate G212? Simple. I have no use for a gigantic Marshall stack. Why would I spend the money on one? Priorities, son. Not to mention, I really don't have the need for one. I just plug into my Line 6 UX2 and do everything through my Mac. I rarely find the need to plug in and "ride the lightning."

Thanks for the compliment on the "blue watering plant thingy." It was picked up at a plant show in Philly when my wife went last March. It was handmade by someone. I don't shop dollar stores, so I wouldn't know if they could be found in them, but apparently you would. Great to know I've been wasting my time arguing with white trash.

I saw this bike on the Performance site.

2010 Paramount Series 7 Road Bike - U.S. Exclusive - Road Bikes

If everything is as the original post says, I usually find that, in general, customers can get some form of good will response from a reputable business in situations like this. It really depends on how you present your side of the story, how persistent you are, and other situational details (like "as-is" signs one might have missed, etc).

However, from the price of this bike, any carbon parts on it are clearly lower grade stuff. I heard before that some carbon parts are actually just a layer of carbon over aluminum, where the carbon is primarily for appearance (not sure about seat posts being made this way). Such parts are significantly cheaper than full carbon. I've never heard of the brand "Road Tuned" and personally don't find it to be a selling point. My opinion would be that it is probably not worth pursuing, though only the individual knows.

nbfman said:
I saw this bike on the Performance site.

2010 Paramount Series 7 Road Bike - U.S. Exclusive - Road Bikes

If everything is as the original post says, I usually find that, in general, customers can get some form of good will response from a reputable business in situations like this. It really depends on how you present your side of the story, how persistent you are, and other situational details (like "as-is" signs one might have missed, etc).

However, from the price of this bike, any carbon parts on it are clearly lower grade stuff. I heard before that some carbon parts are actually just a layer of carbon over aluminum, where the carbon is primarily for appearance (not sure about seat posts being made this way). Such parts are significantly cheaper than full carbon. I've never heard of the brand "Road Tuned" and personally don't find it to be a selling point. My opinion would be that it is probably not worth pursuing, though only the individual knows.

My concern isn't with whether it's a quality carbon part. It's just the principle behind it. If something says it comes with something, as a consumer, I want it if I purchase that said product.

I asked about it and I'm still waiting on an answer back from the original store where I bought it from, but it is what it is. I'm not going to break my neck to fight about it. It isn't like it's going to make me Lance Armstrong. It's just that I want the parts that my bike was supposed to come equipped with.

GT Fanatic said:
My concern isn't with whether it's a quality carbon part. It's just the principle behind it.

Sorry to misunderstand this point. I recall it was the price, not quality, for this carbon part that led to your discontent. The allegation was that for the Schwinn Paramount Series 7 ($1399.99 current price on-line), the dealer is substituting cheap alloy seat posts in place of expensive carbon ones without properly informing the consumer. Perhaps you are on to something. No one would fault you for being upset about not getting what you paid for. Good luck with your inquiry. Please make sure to share the results of what you find.

nbfman said:
Sorry to misunderstand this point. I recall it was the price, not quality, for this carbon part that led to your discontent. The allegation was that for the Schwinn Paramount Series 7 ($1399.99 current price on-line), the dealer is substituting cheap alloy seat posts in place of expensive carbon ones without properly informing the consumer. Perhaps you are on to something. No one would fault you for being upset about not getting what you paid for. Good luck with your inquiry. Please make sure to share the results of what you find.

What lead to my discontent is that Performance Bike's website clearly states that the seat post is supposed to be carbon fiber and I received an alloy one.

Oddly enough, every Performance I've been to who has had this bike has also had the same incorrect seat post installed on it. It IS a "Schwinn" seat post, so I think the dealers are just piecing the bikes together with what comes in the box. If this occurrence was happening through one store, I could be suspect that seat posts were being swapped, but this isn't the case. I've seen this "pattern" at three separate Performance Bicycle locations.

I did talk to the manager of a different branch than where I purchased my bike and he called back within 24 hours, stating that Schwinn told him they reserved the right to change parts at any time if the parts were not available. That's fine, and I don't have a problem with that; what I have a problem with is that there was no change in the list of parts to the Performance Bicycle website reflecting a change. The information was not updated.

The manager of this other store stated that Forte' (dunno who they are...) offers an $80 carbon seat post and he could give me 60% off the price for the inconvenience. IMO, that was very generous, especially since I did not purchase the bike there, but I simply want the factory seat post my bike was supposed to come with.

GT Fanatic said:
What lead to my discontent is that Performance Bike's website clearly states that the seat post is supposed to be carbon fiber and I received an alloy one.

But you said in your original post that you would not normally care about something like this, except for the fact that you believe this carbon seat post is expensive. So, your discontent is due to more than just the difference between what was advertised and what was received. Your assumed prices for the two seat posts was what pushed you over the edge, which is understandable. I would guess that someone who thinks like you would not complain if the situation were reversed i.e. the Schwinn Paramount Series 7 was advertised with an alloy post, but came with a carbon one. So, I think it is more than just this principle you mentioned earlier.

Anyway, good luck with your pursuit. Sounds like you are about done, having gotten another dealer to agree to a 60% discount on an $80 carbon seat post.

nbfman said:
But you said in your original post that you would not normally care about something like this, except for the fact that you believe this carbon seat post is expensive. So, your discontent is due to more than just the difference between what was advertised and what was received. Your assumed prices for the two seat posts was what pushed you over the edge, which is understandable. I would guess that someone who thinks like you would not complain if the situation were reversed i.e. the Schwinn Paramount Series 7 was advertised with an alloy post, but came with a carbon one. So, I think it is more than just this principle you mentioned earlier.

Anyway, good luck with your pursuit. Sounds like you are about done, having gotten another dealer to agree to a 60% discount on an $80 carbon seat post.

I feel that I paid for the carbon seat post in the price I paid for the bike. I also just want the parts that my bike was listed to come with. I like the design on the factory seat post, and it matches with the bike.

As for complaining about the bike coming with a carbon seat post if it was advertised with an alloy one, I don't think anyone would be disappointed to mistakenly get a more expensive part on their bicycle, but what does it look like? Does it match the design on the bike, or is it just a plain carbon seat post?

The only reason I noticed this was because some of the parts have "Road Tuned" emblazoned on them, and the seat post had "Trail Tuned" emblazoned on it. I just think the mis-match looks dumb. Why would I have a road bike with a "Trail Tuned" seat post? Even if I had an alloy seat post that read, "Road Tuned," I could probably be halfway to happy.

As for being "pushed over the edge," that's a bit extreme...

GT Fanatic said:
I'm bent on a pissing contest? Read your first post you EVER addressed me in, which can be located in the "Cannondale Vs Specialized" thread, dumbass.

Nope, I don't live in either Texas or New Mexico. I wouldn't live in either; too many illegals. I've already posted where I live. Try reading sometime. As for the house being dirt cheap compared to anything in NoCal, nearly everything's cheap compared to a home in NoCal. Since you're such a real-estate expert, you'd know that my "cheap home" was $540,000. Your comments sound like justification for your jealousy.

Why would I plug expensive guitars through a Crate G212? Simple. I have no use for a gigantic Marshall stack. Why would I spend the money on one? Priorities, son. Not to mention, I really don't have the need for one. I just plug into my Line 6 UX2 and do everything through my Mac. I rarely find the need to plug in and "ride the lightning."

Thanks for the compliment on the "blue watering plant thingy." It was picked up at a plant show in Philly when my wife went last March. It was handmade by someone. I don't shop dollar stores, so I wouldn't know if they could be found in them, but apparently you would. Great to know I've been wasting my time arguing with white trash.

So, I thought I'd go back to see if my first response to you in that thread was a bit off the mark or contained a hint of snide...

swampy1970 said:
The CAAD 9 isn't a world leader in comfort, that's for sure... But it aint the ball beater and filling rattler that the CAAD 4's and 5's were and gives a pretty good ride.

Certain aluminum bikes do ride stiff, primarily by design not by the inherent nature of the material. Saying cart-blanche that all aluminum bikes ride stiff is rediculous. Some of the most flexible frames ever to grace the Pro peloton were aluminum.

Nope... Didn't think so.

Jealous of what?

Sorry to hear that your wife paid top dollar for a so called hand made watering device that was likely made in china by the million about the same time you bought a 'should have had a carbon seatpost' bike.

Hope you have better luck with future purchases. I can sell you some air to put in those tires. Premium air fresh from the pacific coast... It's worth about 3 seconds per mile...

And the Marshall, it goes through a 2x12 cab. The only thing huge about it is the tone.

swampy1970 said:
So, I thought I'd go back to see if my first response to you in that thread was a bit off the mark or contained a hint of snide...

Nope... Didn't think so.

Jealous of what?

Sorry to hear that your wife paid top dollar for a so called hand made watering device that was likely made in china by the million about the same time you bought a 'should have had a carbon seatpost' bike.

Hope you have better luck with future purchases. I can sell you some air to put in those tires. Premium air fresh from the pacific coast... It's worth about 3 seconds per mile...

And the Marshall, it goes through a 2x12 cab. The only thing huge about it is the tone.

Wow, your (lack of) knowledge amazes me.

I'm sorry to hear you still haven't gotten over this. Sucks to be you, but you already knew that...

GT Fanatic said:
Wow, your (lack of) knowledge amazes me.

I'm sorry to hear you still haven't gotten over this. Sucks to be you, but you already knew that...

Some of us spent the long weekend away from the computer ;)

Lack of knowledge regarding? If this thread serves as an indication of anything is that (a) I was able to make sure that my bike had all the bits on it that it was supposed to gave when I picked it up and (b) I know enough about cycling to set my position up such that my elbows don't hurt after a mere 18 miles and that you scored a major fail on both counts.

If anything sore elbows may suggest that you need to straighten your arms a little rather than bending them more, which is what you might end up doing if you shorten the stem. Lower back ache and a sore neck are more indicative of a stem that's too long. If you're getting pain so soon into a ride it suggests that something oddball is up.

Hey, if you have so much money you could always go buy a seatpost and have 'road tuned to my custom specification' laser engraved in it or maybe had toray custom weave you name into the carbon fiber.

Since you felt the need to offer up examples of your vast wealth maybe I should tell you that my bike cost more than you engine and that the engine in our 67 Camaro cost more than the bike. Stick that in your 4" collectors... Oh, you don't have an engine big enough to require that much flow ;)

swampy1970 said:
Some of us spent the long weekend away from the computer ;)

Lack of knowledge regarding? If this thread serves as an indication of anything is that (a) I was able to make sure that my bike had all the bits on it that it was supposed to gave when I picked it up and (b) I know enough about cycling to set my position up such that my elbows don't hurt after a mere 18 miles and that you scored a major fail on both counts.

If anything sore elbows may suggest that you need to straighten your arms a little rather than bending them more, which is what you might end up doing if you shorten the stem. Lower back ache and a sore neck are more indicative of a stem that's too long. If you're getting pain so soon into a ride it suggests that something oddball is up.

Hey, if you have so much money you could always go buy a seatpost and have 'road tuned to my custom specification' laser engraved in it or maybe had toray custom weave you name into the carbon fiber.

Since you felt the need to offer up examples of your vast wealth maybe I should tell you that my bike cost more than you engine and that the engine in our 67 Camaro cost more than the bike. Stick that in your 4" collectors... Oh, you don't have an engine big enough to require that much flow ;)

So the engine in your '67 Camaro cost more than $1200? Wow, I am sincerely impressed. :rolleyes: Any chance of seeing your dad's '67 Camaro? Nah, probably not. Even if you posted a pic, you couldn't prove it was yours, anyway.

So, you took the "weekend off from posting." Congrats! I've been done with you since last week before the weekend even started.

As for elbow pain, I'll leave it to people who know what they're talking about, but thanks for your failed effort. Loser.

GT Fanatic said:
As for elbow pain, I'll leave it to people who know what they're talking about, but thanks for your failed effort.
Some people get elbow pain from onanastic pursuits, and I suspect that may be the root cause of this issue.

taniwha said:
Some people get elbow pain from onanastic pursuits, and I suspect that may be the root cause of this issue.

If that's the case, that'd be downright dangerous, calling down for more mayo, while riding a bike. Hell, you could end up with ookie all of your CF cookie.

CdnRider said:
Oh god. Someone had to bring that up!!

You can always leave it to the experienced ones. Since that was his first suggestion, it appears he probably has experience in that field.

GT Fanatic said:
You can always leave it to the experienced ones. Since that was his first suggestion, it appears he probably has experience in that field.

My sheep would never complain, they are always happy.

I would add that I do have experience, find me a man who doesn't, and I'll show you a liar..
But maybe you have developed late in life and just suddenly discovered the joys and so your muscles and joints are unaccustomed to the additional stress.