Who's Swapping Parts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by GT Fanatic, Jun 27, 2010.

1. taniwha

taniwha New Member

That is a man size front dish there. What is it, 55t?

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

55 and a 51 inner. Campag 11-19 8 speed in the back. Most of the courses I liked , even at full gas, required a 17 and 19 and staying in the outer ring made for a naff chain line and besides 55x19 would have been a little much. A 48 was sometimes used on the inner.

3. swampy1970

Thanks. :)

4. swampy1970

I wouldn't go gung-ho about swapping to a turbo. Sure they are more efficient but not that much more efficient than a certrifugal supercharger, especially if you already have a big intercooler in there.

The factory 5's are nice but you'll spend lots of time repositioning the steering rack to solve caster and bump steer issues if used on the road, especially bumpy ones. On the track they're great... but if I was racing on a track I'd buy a real race car or go race karts. If you want something small, light, has a great suspension and has an LS3 in it take a trip to flyinmiata.com. The LS3 fits under a Miata hood and weighs less than the turbo engine in the Mazdaspeed Miata. 500hp in a 2300car with one of the best chassis and suspension out there. If you run Toyo RA1 tires you'll get more grip and lower laptimes than you would with the FF cars too. ;)

I wanted a Factory Five 65 Coupe until I rode in one. I'd drive one in winter but that's it. With no A/C its like an oven in there. With good A/C you'll sweat profusely but not to the point where you'll soak your shirt within the hour. Handling is like the Roadster - not the best on the road. I'd rather have a C5 Z06 Vette.

A real easy way to spot leaks on any engine is clean it spotless, let it idle for about 20 minutes, drive it around block a few times at under 10 mph and the get it up on jackstands and pop some cardboard under it. If you drive more than 10mph the fluids will tend to blow all over the place and make it hard to find where the leak really is.

... and the 396 that was in it wasn't the original. ;)

5. taniwha

taniwha New Member

Even a 55 x19 makes my eyes water. That block on the back, you missed the 18? I raced a 19-11 8 speed with no 12 and it was horrid. With the course and the racing I thought it was a great idea at the time, but afterwards I realised it was just stupid. I'd be in the 13 all going well, then think "A little bit more", the 11 would get an outing and the wheels would fall off. Too big a jump. And I was only a 53 on the front.