Who's using a Coach (online or in person)?

Leozinho

Feb 21, 2005
Hi,

Who's using a coach? I'm getting back into cycling after an injury if forcing me to cut down my running milage (I had surgery to fix a broken metatarsal.)

When I raced a bit in college 10 years ago, it seemed only a few folks had coaches, at least those of us Cat 4 and 5. At that level you might have had a coach if you belonged to one of the big cycling clubs in a metropolitian area, but most of us didn't. I think I remember Troy Jacobsen offering online coaching, but certainly there were few online coaches.

Now, I'm reading that a lot of folks are using coaches, online or otherwise. I'm inclined to think that I could improve much, much more quickly with the help of a professional.

I also have some concerns that make it a bit tricky for me to take a generic training program from a book and try to tailor it to me. For example, I won't stop strength training (and I don't mean lifting light weights to be a better cyclist, but lifting relatively heavy weights to improve power and strength endurance.) I don't want to lose muscle mass (I'm 175 lbs, and am trying to put on some more muscle, which I know will be hard.) And I also need to incorporate ruck marching (fast walking carrying up 75 pounds. I'm in the military.) So maybe a coach could help me. The only drawback is price. My goals for cycling are modest - finish in the pack in a few road races by the end of the season -, so I don't want to spend too much.

So who is using a coach, how much are you paying and are you pleased with the results?

Thanks.

Leozinho said:
Who's using a coach? I'm reading that a lot of folks are using coaches, online or otherwise. I'm inclined to think that I could improve much, much more quickly with the help of a professional.

So who is using a coach, how much are you paying and are you pleased with the results?
I use a coach and our primary means of communication is email and it's working fine. At Cat 4 or 5 you don't need an intense amount of interaction. What you do need is structure. That comes in the form of a good program, one which evolves as your body adapts.

The program also has to suit YOUR GOALS. So if you haven't thought about your short, medium, and long term goals then it's time to get cracking. Make sure they are realistic and achievable.

I had an initial set of test rides done with my coach from which my HR zones were set. You will find this difficult to do by yourself, so you might need to find someone local that does those sort of tests.

I pay AUD100 (USD75) per month for the privelege and have a 50% win rate in C Grade (I have no idea what that is in US. Cat 3/4 mebee?). I have been training under a coach since September last year (8 months) after 20 years off the bike, so I'm pretty happy so far.

Leozinho said:
Hi,

Who's using a coach? I'm getting back into cycling after an injury if forcing me to cut down my running milage (I had surgery to fix a broken metatarsal.)

When I raced a bit in college 10 years ago, it seemed only a few folks had coaches, at least those of us Cat 4 and 5. At that level you might have had a coach if you belonged to one of the big cycling clubs in a metropolitian area, but most of us didn't. I think I remember Troy Jacobsen offering online coaching, but certainly there were few online coaches.

Now, I'm reading that a lot of folks are using coaches, online or otherwise. I'm inclined to think that I could improve much, much more quickly with the help of a professional.

I also have some concerns that make it a bit tricky for me to take a generic training program from a book and try to tailor it to me. For example, I won't stop strength training (and I don't mean lifting light weights to be a better cyclist, but lifting relatively heavy weights to improve power and strength endurance.) I don't want to lose muscle mass (I'm 175 lbs, and am trying to put on some more muscle, which I know will be hard.) And I also need to incorporate ruck marching (fast walking carrying up 75 pounds. I'm in the military.) So maybe a coach could help me. The only drawback is price. My goals for cycling are modest - finish in the pack in a few road races by the end of the season -, so I don't want to spend too much.

Thanks.

A coach should be able to get you to meet your goals at a faster/safer rate than self-coaching and could also get you to a higher level compared to training yourself.

The cost of coaching will depend on how much interaction you want with your coach, how many other aspects are involved in your fitness regime (e.g., if you do lots of cross training), the level and expertise of your coach, and various other factors.

At RST we offer a broad range of services that covers a variety of prices. Our coaching prices start at less than US$30/mth/rider for large group coaching up to UK£200/mth and more for highly detailed work. We also have mid ranged priced coaching at ~ US$100/mth.

Currently, the large group coaching package (also available for individuals) isn't on our website yet... it's a new package and details will be shortly available.

Ric

Just no doubt at all, in my mind. DO IT! I have a coach, and think it is a great benefit.

I got a coach 2 months ago. Today I won my first race(cat 3), and I have never been in this good shape, even though I am still in base period.
www.mikefrayssesports.com - he knows his stuff, and if you ever stay at his resort in NY, he has the best food, ever.

OK. I'm now convinced that a coach could really help. Now I'm just shopping around for price and trying to determine what I can afford .

There seems to be a wide range in prices. There's a coaching group in my state (NC) with a "basic" package starting at $30 a month, but others' least expensive programs start much higher.

I can swing $30 a month (and that does includes unlimited email consultations. Naturally, the coaches aren't famous, but they should be able to handle my training.).

If you've got a recommendation for a coach, let me know.

Thanks.

I've been using a coach since I started training about a year ago. There is no doubt in my mind that it has saved me from a lot of dumb mistakes, helped me to stay injury free, and given me a ton more results than what I could have gotten on my own. It definitely helps to keep me training, and there is nothing better than having someone who can help you with all the questions that come up along the way. The nicest, most encouraging comments that I have gotten during all this time have come from coaches, Ric included. The great ones have that gift for keeping you motivated and feeling good about what you are accomplishing.

Why pay for a coach at entry level? Surely their are guys at your local club or lbs that can hook you up with a coach to get you started. I coach guys to national level and I charge Nadda, same as my coach charged me. Now if you get into it and decide you want to conqure the world, by all means shell out some $$$$ but to start I am sure their will be someone who can help you.

Leozinho said:
OK. I'm now convinced that a coach could really help. Now I'm just shopping around for price and trying to determine what I can afford .

There seems to be a wide range in prices. There's a coaching group in my state (NC) with a "basic" package starting at $30 a month, but others' least expensive programs start much higher.

I can swing $30 a month (and that does includes unlimited email consultations. Naturally, the coaches aren't famous, but they should be able to handle my training.).

If you've got a recommendation for a coach, let me know.

Thanks.