Who's using an edge 705 GPS?

40thvette

Feb 22, 2010
Just curious who is using the 705 computer/GPS. I recently picked up the "bundle" pack that came with the HR monitor, & wheel/cadence sensors.

So far it seems pretty impressive but I am very bummed out about the mapping. It appears to only come with the "main" roads preloaded. These are all of the roads I would not cycle on, & normally stay away from. So, is the mapping feature a bit of a trap to buy the street software for another $100.00? Seems a little useless right now without more map info. Also, I thought that the software I downloaded from garmin was supposed to let me create my own routes. That program has the same problem, only main hwys & roads. I am sure this is a learning curve for me, so not trying to sound too negative. I do like it! I just don't know how to use it I guess....;)

I use a 705, and no, the mapping feature isn't a trap. I use Bike Route Toaster to generate courses and the like. Someday I may buy the more detailed map CD, but it's certainly not necessary for my purposes. YMMV.

Thanks Alienator, Seems like a good site. I just played with it a little. Only potential problem cold be for me is that my 705 "bleeps" at every curve in the road & in the middle of some through roads. its just giving me a warning of a upcoming turn, but it warns at more than just turns. A little distracting. I will probably end up buying the map on a SC card. Just incase I go off route. I was just surprised it didn't have them preloaded. My $150 nuvi had them preloaded, & now I need to spend nearly that much more just for the maps in a $400 unit. Bummer. But, what's another $100 in this sport!!:D

40thvette said:
Thanks Alienator, Seems like a good site. I just played with it a little. Only potential problem cold be for me is that my 705 "bleeps" at every curve in the road & in the middle of some through roads. its just giving me a warning of a upcoming turn, but it warns at more than just turns. A little distracting. I will probably end up buying the map on a SC card. Just incase I go off route. I was just surprised it didn't have them preloaded. My $150 nuvi had them preloaded, & now I need to spend nearly that much more just for the maps in a $400 unit. Bummer. But, what's another $100 in this sport!!:D

For future reference, a good place to find answers for all manner of Garmin devices is at Garmin Forums. There is a sub-forum just for the 705.