Whre do "Ksyrium Race" wheelsets fit in the lineup?

Slider77

May 19, 2004
A nearby LBS has a set of leftover "Mavic Ksyrium Race" at reduced price. Where did these fit in comparison to the current Ksyrium lineup? Any idea of what the approximate original retail price range on these were; and if they are any good as far as reliability in comparison to the more expensive ones? Thanks.

Slider77 said:
A nearby LBS has a set of leftover "Mavic Ksyrium Race" at reduced price. Where did these fit in comparison to the current Ksyrium lineup? Any idea of what the approximate original retail price range on these were; and if they are any good as far as reliability in comparison to the more expensive ones? Thanks.
They don't currently have a wheel called "Race" in their lineup, maybe it's an older model? Are you sure that it's not just the sale sign that says "Race", but the wheel is actually a Ksyrium Equipe or Aksium? i.e. Mavic sell their Aksium wheels as "entry level race wheels".

Walrus said:
They don't currently have a wheel called "Race" in their lineup, maybe it's an older model? Are you sure that it's not just the sale sign that says "Race", but the wheel is actually a Ksyrium Equipe or Aksium? i.e. Mavic sell their Aksium wheels as "entry level race wheels".

It is listed as an older model, labeled as "Race" on the rim. I should have been more specific in my original post. That's why I was wondering about what it was comparable to and price/preformance with the current models. It's possible that I screwed up and it is just an Aksium ( I was in a rush, but it was silver with full-bladed spokes, and I have only seen Aksiums with rounded spokes in black in person), was there ever a Ksyrium listed as Race?

Slider77 said:
It is listed as an older model, labeled as "Race" on the rim. I should have been more specific in my original post. That's why I was wondering about what it was comparable to and price/preformance with the current models. It's possible that I screwed up and it is just an Aksium ( I was in a rush, it was silver with bladed spokes, and I have only seen Aksiums in black in person), was there ever a Ksyrium listed as Race?
Ok, never heard of "Race". What's the cost? Wheels are pretty cheap these days, so be careful buying older discontinued models.

They are Ksyrium Aksium. If you go to the Mavic website and take a close look at the Aksium, the sticker on them says '...ACE' which, to the best of my knowledge, must be the RACE that you mention.

Mavic Link

As far as where they fit in the lineup, they are entry level in the Ksyrium line, and more or less replace the Equipe.

Walrus said:
Ok, never heard of "Race". What's the cost? Wheels are pretty cheap these days, so be careful buying older discontinued models.

Drew73 said:
They are Ksyrium Aksium. If you go to the Mavic website and take a close look at the Aksium, the sticker on them says '...ACE' which, to the best of my knowledge, must be the RACE that you mention.

Mavic Link

As far as where they fit in the lineup, they are entry level in the Ksyrium line, and more or less replace the Equipe.
Nice spot Drew, I wondered if it was just a label on an existing set.

All Aksium's are labelled RACE. BTW they are the cheapest Mavic options.

Slider77 said:
Mavic Aksium Race wheels are labeled AKSIUM (big black letters same font as KSYRIUM) followed by RACE (yellow letters over red background). The black bold letters do not read KSYRIUM but AKSIUM instead.

hd reynolds said:
Mavic Aksium Race wheels are labeled AKSIUM (big black letters same font as KSYRIUM) followed by RACE (yellow letters over red background). The black bold letters do not read KSYRIUM but AKSIUM instead.

Thanks all. I apparently was having a dyslexic moment, as I was trying to rush out of the store to try to beat (unsuccessfully) a rain downpour. Sorry for the confusion. :eek:

We've had this questions before, and I think the Mavics are being marketed in Australia, and possibly other countries, as "Race". I've also been pointed to cheap "Mavic Race" wheels at 2 bike shops.

531Aussie said:
We've had this questions before, and I think the Mavics are being marketed in Australia, and possibly other countries, as "Race". I've also been pointed to cheap "Mavic Race" wheels at 2 bike shops.
Mavic came up with AKsiums in response from bike manufacturers for a set of inexpensive wheelsets to go with sub $1300 bikes. The rims are shipped to china where they are laced to Mavic hubs (ex-china) with bearings made in France.