Why alternative medicine "works"...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Henry, May 12, 2004.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.

    If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    contra-testimonials, usually because of death.

    Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    resources of the afflicted: time and money.

    Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant, but often pursue an
    agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually measured
    by results.

    Tags:

  2. thisisfun

    thisisfun Guest

    "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
    jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

  3. Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many people
    who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.

    You epitomize why they don't trust the medical establishment in ever growing
    numbers.
    Thanks.

    "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.
    >
    > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    > chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    > healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    > testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    > contra-testimonials, usually because of death.
    >
    > Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    > resources of the afflicted: time and money.
    >
    > Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant, but often pursue

    an
    > agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    > recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually

    measured
    > by results.

  4. Hawki63

    Hawki63 Guest

    >Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
    >From: "Dave Wickware" [email protected]
    >Date: 5/12/2004 8:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time

    of course spamming Dave missed the point

    he said

    >Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many people
    >who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.
    >
    >You epitomize why they don't trust the medical establishment in ever growing
    >numbers.

    Henry said
    > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    >> chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    >> healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    >> testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few

    >> Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    >> resources of the afflicted: time and money.

    ie...one doesn't need alternative EITHER...

    at least for the self limiting things

    hawki.....

  5. "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
    > jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

    What have you done for your country?

  6. "Dave Wickware" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many people
    > who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.

    Yes, it will alert them, hopefully, to the spamming charlatans.

    > You epitomize why they don't trust the medical establishment in ever

    growing
    > numbers.
    > Thanks.

    Ever growing? Like toxic mold?

    > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.
    > >
    > > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    > > chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    > > healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    > > testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    > > contra-testimonials, usually because of death.
    > >
    > > Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    > > resources of the afflicted: time and money.
    > >
    > > Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant, but often pursue

    > an
    > > agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    > > recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually

    > measured
    > > by results.

  7. >
    >"thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
    >> jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

    >What have you done for your country?

    Med(S)tools has lowered its standards.

  8. "Hawki63" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
    > >From: "Dave Wickware" [email protected]
    > >Date: 5/12/2004 8:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >

    > of course spamming Dave missed the point

    You define stupidity.

    > he said
    >
    > >Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many people
    > >who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.
    > >
    > >You epitomize why they don't trust the medical establishment in ever

    growing
    > >numbers.

    > Henry said
    > > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    > >> chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    > >> healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    > >> testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few

    > >> Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    > >> resources of the afflicted: time and money.

    > ie...one doesn't need alternative EITHER...
    >
    > at least for the self limiting things
    >

    > hawki.....

  9. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >Subject: Why alternative medicine "works"...
    >From: "Henry" [email protected]
    >Date: 5/12/2004 6:35 AM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.

    Without medication,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    >If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    >chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    >healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    >testimonials.

    Same could be said of any kind of conventional medicine.

    >Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    >contra-testimonials, usually because of death.

    Well, no, the reason people are turning to alternative medicine, is the many
    unanswered health problems. The little black receipe book is limited to what is
    endorsed by organized medicine.

    >Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    >resources of the afflicted: time and money.

    Alterantive is growing because conv. has no answers.

    >Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant,

    righto, anyone who uses alternative medicine is stupid.

    > but often pursue an
    >agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    >recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually measured
    >by results.

    Wrong, wrong and wrong.

    RESULTS is WHY people chose alternative.

    Do tell us WHAT you would do if you had been to many conventional doctors and
    they had no answers?????

    You see, personal experience knows the answer to this, it is clear you don't.

    http://www.yourhealthbase.com/alternative_medicine.html

    Jan

  10. HLE

    HLE Guest

    One must admire the remarkable perspective of Jan's response to my original
    post.

    First, I meant what I said: the vast majority of human ills and injuries
    heal spontaneously, and will permit this addendum: "without medication or
    ANY medical care". However, I must also add that those conditions which are
    unlikely to resolve spontaneously will sometimes spiral into disability or
    even mortality, and to diagnose such conditions requires skill that is not
    taught outside of medical school. Further, I will add that those which don't
    resolve spontaneously are likelier to be healed by conventional medicine
    than by quackery.

    Jan refers to "organized medicine". Presumably the obverse of Jan's coin is
    "dis-organized" medicine, and with that I agree.

    Jan says: alternative medicine is growing because conventional medicine has
    no answers. She's right, of course. But alternative medicine doesn't sell
    answers - it sells hope. There's a great deal of money to be made offering
    hope to those suffering from conditions - real or imaginary - for which
    there are no cures in medical science. But offering hope to terminally ill
    people doesn't last; there's even more profit to be made offering the hope
    of prevention to healthy people. As an example, to those who send me $25
    each month, I will gladly mail a supplement that I hope will prevent [name
    the disease]. And if it fails, your money will be cheerfully (!) refunded.

    When I pointed out that those using alternative medicine are "ignorant", Jan
    said they're "stupid". Well, those terms are interchangeable only among
    those with very restricted vocabularies. I really meant ignorant. As a
    perfect example, you're certainly not stupid, Jan, but you're incredibly
    ignorant. Look it up.

    Henry

    "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Subject: Why alternative medicine "works"...
    > >From: "Henry" [email protected]
    > >Date: 5/12/2004 6:35 AM Pacific Standard Time
    > >
    > >The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.

    > Without medication,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    >
    > >If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    > >chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    > >healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    > >testimonials.

    > Same could be said of any kind of conventional medicine.
    >
    > >Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    > >contra-testimonials, usually because of death.

    > Well, no, the reason people are turning to alternative medicine, is the

    many
    > unanswered health problems. The little black receipe book is limited to

    what is
    > endorsed by organized medicine.
    >
    > >Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    > >resources of the afflicted: time and money.

    > Alterantive is growing because conv. has no answers.
    >
    > >Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant,

    > righto, anyone who uses alternative medicine is stupid.
    >
    > > but often pursue an
    > >agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    > >recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually

    measured
    > >by results.

    > Wrong, wrong and wrong.
    >
    > RESULTS is WHY people chose alternative.
    >
    > Do tell us WHAT you would do if you had been to many conventional doctors

    and
    > they had no answers?????
    >
    > You see, personal experience knows the answer to this, it is clear you

    don't.

    > http://www.yourhealthbase.com/alternative_medicine.html
    >
    > Jan

  11. thisisfun

    thisisfun Guest

    "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 12, 2004" <M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
    [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
    > > jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

    > What have you done for your country?

    Mark, how many years did you put in the military? Where? When? Why? or
    not...........

  12. thisisfun

    thisisfun Guest

  13. thisisfun

    thisisfun Guest

    "M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-May 12, 2004" <M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t
    [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dave Wickware" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > "Hawki63" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > >

    > > > of course spamming Dave missed the point

    > > You define stupidity.

    > OK, I define stupidity:

  14. >
    >"Vitamins are Chemicals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> >"thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]

    >ilsa's momma was a jarhead.

    Tool's mother was a hampster and his father reeked of elderberries.

  15. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.
    >
    > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
    > chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
    > healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
    > testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
    > contra-testimonials, usually because of death.
    >
    > Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
    > resources of the afflicted: time and money.
    >
    > Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant, but often pursue an
    > agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
    > recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually measured
    > by results.

    Even for diseases which don't heal spontaneously, such as cancer,
    testimonials are misleading. What breast cancer patients who forego
    adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation after their surgery and then
    attribute their survival to "alternative" therapies don't tell you is
    that most early stage cancers are cured with surgery alone. Chemotherapy
    and radiation reduce the risk of recurrence, but the chance of survival
    with surgery alone is still pretty good. Even intermediate stage tumors
    have a reasonable (albeit much smaller) chance of being cured with
    surgery alone. Consequently, the "cure" described by these testimonials
    was the surgery, not the alternative treatment.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"

  16. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dave Wickware" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many people
    > who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.

    One can only hope so. Henry's observations were right on.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"

  17. DRCEEPHD

    DRCEEPHD Guest

    >Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
    >From: "HLE" [email protected]
    >Date: 5/12/04 5:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time

    >First, I meant what I said: the vast majority of human ills and injuries
    >heal spontaneously, and will permit this addendum: "without medication or
    >ANY medical care".

    That is correct. We do not experience disease. What we experience is
    dis-ease. The body can handle that without the heroic poisoning of the MDs,
    provided we work with the body and let it do what only it can do.

    >However, I must also add that those conditions which are
    >unlikely to resolve spontaneously will sometimes spiral into disability or
    >even mortality, and to diagnose such conditions requires skill that is not
    >taught outside of medical school.

    Who says that the knowledge gained in the study of osteopathy, naturopathy, and
    even chiropractic lies outside the knowledge gained in the monopoly called
    medical school? Your dogma speaks only for the medical monopoly that kills
    hundreds of thousands of patients in the US yearly.

    >Further, I will add that those which don't
    >resolve spontaneously are likelier to be healed by conventional medicine
    >than by quackery.

    The actual results are exactly opposite to those for which you contend.
    You cannot poison the sick into getting well. You can, however, kill them.
    This is all the allopaths can attempt to do, and you have the temerity to
    defend their butchery.

    >Jan refers to "organized medicine".

    It is better termed a monopoly. A monopoly that began circa 1910 and was
    started by the Carnegie's and Rockefellers.

    >But alternative medicine doesn't sell
    >answers - it sells hope.

    And what does allopathy require? It demands obedience. You must believe. You
    must pay with your obedience, your money, your body parts, and even your life.
    More like a religion. A religion based upon the lies of the great deciever.

    >There's a great deal of money to be made offering
    >hope to those suffering from conditions - real or imaginary - for which
    >there are no cures in medical science.

    Odd you should say that. Modern, monopolistic medicine, offers no cures. It
    offers only treatments. You get to keep your disease, and have to learn to
    live with the side effects of your treatment. And for only what
    now...1,600,000,000,000 dollars a year in the US alone. Now who is making a
    great deal of money?

    >But offering hope to terminally ill
    >people doesn't last; there's even more profit to be made offering the hope
    >of prevention to healthy people.

    And just how much money does medicine generate each year for the next great
    cure, which never materializes? How many billions are generated for bogus
    medicical research?

    Are you just gullible, stupid, or another paid lacky of the monopoly?

    DrC PhD

  18. Henry

    Henry Guest

    "So many folks..."?
    Speak for yourself.

    Regarding stupidity and gullibility, it's you that pays for pseudomedical
    quackery based more upon wishful thinking than replicable science. The
    typical Marine gets those shots, runs those miles, spends 50% of the day in
    class, and fights World War IV: "Islam Against the West - 732AD revisited".
    Most people consider jarheads as the worst thing that ever happened to the
    enemies of our country. Your future and that of your progeny depend upon
    these "stupid" and "gullible" young men and women, who usually leave the
    service to run companies, and people like you.

    Isn't this a great place to have these little chats? Jan wondered why I
    leaped in with my "first post". Hah! I've been laughing at Jan and her ilk
    (especially at her ilk - have you ever sniffed that silly thing?) for
    years - and even wasted electrons more than once illuminating her ignorance
    (not stupidity, Jan, never that). In fact, last year I taught a class in
    which I used some of Jan's posts as hilarious examples of...
    <never mind>

    Henry

    "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
    > jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

  19. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    Ritalin may help you slow down and post intelligently.