Why alternative medicine "works"...

>From: "Henry" [email protected]

Well Hecky Durn, if's it's not o enry!!!!!!!

Hup two three four!!!!!

Retired from the Marine Core

Still barkin orders

and

insulting, as usual.

Ever learn to control that temper?????

Jan

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.
> >
> > If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
> > chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
> > healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
> > testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
> > contra-testimonials, usually because of death.
> >
> > Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
> > resources of the afflicted: time and money.
> >
> > Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant, but often pursue

an
> > agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
> > recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually

measured
> > by results.

> Even for diseases which don't heal spontaneously, such as cancer,
> testimonials are misleading. What breast cancer patients who forego
> adjuvant chemotherapy and radiation after their surgery and then
> attribute their survival to "alternative" therapies don't tell you is
> that most early stage cancers are cured with surgery alone. Chemotherapy
> and radiation reduce the risk of recurrence, but the chance of survival
> with surgery alone is still pretty good. Even intermediate stage tumors
> have a reasonable (albeit much smaller) chance of being cured with
> surgery alone. Consequently, the "cure" described by these testimonials
> was the surgery, not the alternative treatment.
>
> --
> Orac

Just love to cut em eh?

>Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
>From: "Gymmy Bob" [email protected]
>Date: 5/12/2004 5:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>Ritalin may help you slow down and post intelligently

ROTFLOL!!!!!

Hup two three four!!!

Retared from the Marine Core!!!

>"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "So many folks..."?
>> Speak for yourself.
>>
>> Regarding stupidity and gullibility, it's you that pays for pseudomedical
>> quackery based more upon wishful thinking than replicable science. The
>> typical Marine gets those shots, runs those miles, spends 50% of the day

>in
>> class, and fights World War IV: "Islam Against the West - 732AD

>revisited".
>> Most people consider jarheads as the worst thing that ever happened to the
>> enemies of our country. Your future and that of your progeny depend upon
>> these "stupid" and "gullible" young men and women, who usually leave the
>> service to run companies, and people like you.
>>
>> Isn't this a great place to have these little chats? Jan wondered why I
>> leaped in with my "first post". Hah! I've been laughing at Jan and her ilk
>> (especially at her ilk - have you ever sniffed that silly thing?) for
>> years - and even wasted electrons more than once illuminating her

>ignorance
>> (not stupidity, Jan, never that). In fact, last year I taught a class in
>> which I used some of Jan's posts as hilarious examples of...
>> <never mind>
>>
>> Henry
>>

>> "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
>> > jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Dave Wickware" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your enlightened post. I'm sure it will help those many

people
> > who come to misc.health.alternative looking for alternative therapies.

> One can only hope so. Henry's observations were right on.
>
> --
> Orac

Right on if you were a blood thirsty black magician.

In article <[email protected]>,
thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
>jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

Although many other folks consider *you* to be one of the most stupid
and gullible of all people, tools.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "So many folks..."?
> Speak for yourself.
>
> Regarding stupidity and gullibility, it's you that pays for pseudomedical
> quackery based more upon wishful thinking than replicable science.

Wrong, I get it for free.
The
> typical Marine gets those shots,

And some of them get strange illnesses afterwards.

>runs those miles,

So, in your mind, nobody else runs?

spends 50% of the day in
> class,

Killing is hard for most people to learn.
and fights World War IV: "Islam Against the West - 732AD revisited".
I guess you won't need the other lesser branches then. Good send them home.

> Most people consider jarheads as the worst thing that ever happened to the
> enemies of our country.

Speak for yourself
Your future and that of your progeny depend upon
> these "stupid" and "gullible" young men and women,

Now THATS a scary thought.
who usually leave the
> service to run companies, and people like you.

Funny, but don't quit your day job.

> Isn't this a great place to have these little chats? Jan wondered why I
> leaped in with my "first post". Hah! I've been laughing at Jan and her ilk
> (especially at her ilk - have you ever sniffed that silly thing?) for
> years - and even wasted electrons more than once illuminating her

ignorance
> (not stupidity, Jan, never that).

So....... what screen name did you use?
In fact, last year I taught a class in
> which I used some of Jan's posts as hilarious examples of...
> <never mind>

Ol PT said it well. And you , it seems have taken his words to heart.

> Henry
>

> "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
> > jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

In article <[email protected]>,
thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:

>"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
>> >jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

>> Although many other folks consider *you* to be one of the most stupid
>> and gullible of all people, tools.
>>

>As long as it is only the clueless like yourself, then life is good.

Insults from people like yourself, who drink their own urine, cause me
no pain.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
> >jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

> Although many other folks consider *you* to be one of the most stupid
> and gullible of all people, tools.
>
> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net

As long as it is only the clueless like yourself, then life is good.

> Insults from people like yourself, who drink their own urine, cause me
> no pain.

HOLD EVERYTHING!!!! There were so many quotes and authors and attributions,
I found it difficult to sort that out. I'm not sure to whom that was
directed, or whether it was a joke.

It's hard to believe that there are those who drink their own urine! Why in
the world would anyone voluntarily ingest the output of a waste disposal
system that took millions of years to evolve to its current state of
perfection? Tell me, do you at least season it with flakes of dried feces?
If not, how can you rationalize one without the other?

I've lived in the mud and eaten some challenging flora and fauna, so I'm not
at all disgusted - just curious as to the state of mind that would permit
such a clearly contraDarwinian thing.

Henry

>Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
>From: [email protected] (David Wright)
>Date: 5/12/2004 6:47 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>In article <[email protected]>,
>thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Henry, you make it very easy to understand why so many folks consider
>>jarheads the most stupid and gullible of all people.

>Although many other folks consider *you* to be one of the most stupid
>and gullible of all people, tools.

>When you start whining about personalities,don't be surprised that it

generates comments about your own.
David Wright

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Why alternative medicine "works"...
> >From: "Henry" [email protected]
> >Date: 5/12/2004 6:35 AM Pacific Standard Time
> >
> >The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.

> Without medication,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
>
> >If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
> >chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
> >healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
> >testimonials.

> Same could be said of any kind of conventional medicine.
>
> >Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
> >contra-testimonials, usually because of death.

> Well, no, the reason people are turning to alternative medicine, is the

many
> unanswered health problems. The little black receipe book is limited to

what is
> endorsed by organized medicine.

Jan, your thesis that doctors choose to ignore "real diseases" because they
"have no answers" doesn't hold water. Don't you realize that describing a
here-to-fore unrecognized disease or syndrome is the road to medical
immortality? Do you think that Dr. Parkinson had "the answer" to Parkinson's
disease when he defined it? Or perhaps Dr. Alzhiemer's fame is diminished
because we still don't have the answer to that variety of senile dementia.
Conventional medicine not only does not ignore your "real disease," but
actually has some answers in the form of effective treatment for those
somatization disorder sufferers who are willing to accept it.

> >Alternative medicine "therapies" dissipate two critically important
> >resources of the afflicted: time and money.

> Alterantive is growing because conv. has no answers.

The answers are there; you just do not want to hear them.

> >Proponents of such therapies are usually just ignorant,

> righto, anyone who uses alternative medicine is stupid.

No, some very wily people use alternative medicine to bilk the naive out of
their money.

> > but often pursue an
> >agenda of greed - seeking some combination of personal wealth and
> >recognition that would be unachievable when performance is actually

measured
> >by results.

> Wrong, wrong and wrong.
>
> RESULTS is WHY people chose alternative.

The lack of results is why alternative must depend on testimonial instead of
reliable research data demonstrating results.

> Do tell us WHAT you would do if you had been to many conventional doctors

and
> they had no answers?????
>
> You see, personal experience knows the answer to this, it is clear you

don't.

If you think that your personal experience can predict what I would do in
any given scenario, you are mistaken.

> http://www.yourhealthbase.com/alternative_medicine.html

Congratulations, Jan. This URL doesn't have credit card symbols on its home
page. (They're on the second page.)

--Rich

"thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Vitamins are Chemicals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > >"thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >news:[email protected]...

> ilsa's momma was a jarhead.

So was my children's mother..................

>Subject: Re: Why alternative medicine "works"...
>From: "Henry" [email protected]
>Date: 5/12/2004 7:14 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>> Insults from people like yourself, who drink their own urine, cause me
>> no pain.

>HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!

Hup two three four

You not in the Marine Core

Barkin orders.

>There were so many quotes and authors and attributions,
>I found it difficult to sort that out. I'm not sure to whom that was
>directed, or whether it was a joke.

I had no problem.

Tp borrow from Peter Bowditch and Mark Probert,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I am sorry that your understanding of English does not extend

(you have the rest memorized)

Jan

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The vast majority of human ills and injuries heal spontaneously.
>
> If a medical problem is "treated" with naturopathy, homeopathy,
> chiropractic, etc., the practitioners of such frauds take credit when
> healing occurs, and the result is a growing and glowing list of
> testimonials. Problems that do not heal spontaneously generate few
> contra-testimonials, usually because of death.

This is one of the major factors involved, certainly. It is complex.

But I mainly wanted to point out that it is not just within alternative
medicine that inactive treatments regularly aquire wholly unjustified
reputations for effectiveness. There is a long and ignoble history of this
within mainstream medicine, with very many "promising" new treatments being
tried and abandoned in my lifetime (sometimes to be then taken up by
"alternative" medicine, as happened with chelation) . That is very the
reason for the current reliance on well-designed studies, up to and
including blinded RCTs.

Peter Moran

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Henry" [email protected]

> Well Hecky Durn, if's it's not o enry!!!!!!!
>
> Hup two three four!!!!!

Does she even know what a dork she presents herself as?
IQ of room temperature.......

> insulting, as usual.

Which this covert ***** never does hiding
behind 'dorky land'.

> Ever learn to control that temper?????
>
> Jan

Marines USE their temper......they don't LOSE it.

But a sassy mouthed old lady daycare worker wouldn't
know about THAT kind of discipline. She only knows
how to shout 'shut up' at little children.....when she
THINKS she's 'in control'!

Chortle, chortle, chortle.

Wow! To think, I missed all this...

Well -- off for another sabbatical.

Bye, Jan

"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> thisisfun <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >"David Wright" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Although many other folks consider *you* to be one of the most stupid
> >> and gullible of all people, tools.
> >>

> >As long as it is only the clueless like yourself, then life is good.

> Insults from people like yourself, who drink their own urine, cause me
> no pain.
>
> -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
> These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
> "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
> were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

The fact that you took it as an insult means there is hope for you yet.

"Henry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Insults from people like yourself, who drink their own urine, cause me
> > no pain.

> HOLD EVERYTHING!!!! There were so many quotes and authors and

attributions,
> I found it difficult to sort that out. I'm not sure to whom that was
> directed, or whether it was a joke.
>
> It's hard to believe that there are those who drink their own urine! Why

in
> the world would anyone voluntarily ingest the output of a waste disposal
> system that took millions of years to evolve to its current state of
> perfection? Tell me, do you at least season it with flakes of dried feces?
> If not, how can you rationalize one without the other?
>
> I've lived in the mud and eaten some challenging flora and fauna, so I'm

not
> at all disgusted - just curious as to the state of mind that would permit
> such a clearly contraDarwinian thing.
>
> Henry

Do some research.

"Coleah" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Vitamins are Chemicals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

consider

> > ilsa's momma was a jarhead.

> So was my children's mother..................

Note to Tools/fun/mdd

NEVER ******** a Marine.

"Coleah" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "thisisfun" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Vitamins are Chemicals" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

consider

> > ilsa's momma was a jarhead.

> So was my children's mother..................

Sorry for your loss.