Why America is so great!!!!!!!

Originally posted by jhuskey
Good point but I think that is one is covered under the thread hating America.

I think those who replied to the Hating America thread - stated that it is too much of a generalisation to say that one can Hate America in all it's aspects.

A more general question like "what aspects do you like/dislike about the USA" would encourage those who dislike aspects of America to reply.

As the question currently stands - only those who think America
is great will feel compelled to reply.

Originally posted by Fixey
Fraid not, America did not invent the "airplane" the aeroplane was invented and first flown by Richard Pierce..... BEFORE kittyhawk ever left the ground....

Great things about America..... Marketing. The U S of A could sell snow to eskimo's (I know, not PC to say eskimo) and make em think they where getting a bargain!

C'mon. Let's not play with words here. There were gliders and balloons and all kinds of flying devices before the Wright brothers historic flight. However, they created the first powered machine capable of sustained flight.
They studied the works of Octave Chanute (again to give credit where credit is due) while designing their plane.

By the way if you want to play with words, Kitty Hawk never left the ground. That is unless the Wright brothers figured out how to fly a city.

Zapper, I'm at a loss as to why you think that
"most Americans that have traveled abroad will agree that the general populace from some countries...um, France comes to mind that for the most part are extremely arrogant and look at Americans as being uncivilized creatures."

I think you're making assumptions that simply aren't true about the French, and about other European countries. The French are no more arrogant than Americans... Perhaps no less, but certainly no more. They're proud of their culture and heritage, just like Americans are. Arrogant? Really?

I should know what the French think of Americans, I've lived here for ten years, my French is impeccable. It's a frequent topic for discussion, and the French, in general, do not mince words. They DON'T AGREE with the actions of the U.S. government. They DON'T AGREE with the policies put forth by GW Bush. They DON'T AGREE with how Iraq was handled. This does not make them ungrateful bastards. This does not mean they hate Americans, or America. C'mon, enough already of that ****.

Quote:

"Just because we aren’t kissing insert country here______butts doesn’t mean that we are arrogant! So, yes humility can go along way, perhaps if other countries would practice that America woudn't seem so arrogant.... "

Try it like this:
"Just because France isn't kissing the United States' butt doesn't mean that the French are arrogant. So, yes humility can go a long way, perhaps if other countries (the U.S) would practice that, France wouldn't seem so arrogant.

It seems arrogant yet also insecure to go around touting one's own horn, if you know what I mean... If you know you're good, you don't have to say anything, you simply maintain your cap, comfortable in the knowledge that you are doing what you should be doing. You don't run around shouting "Look at me, I'm the best, I'm the baddest, I'm the smartest and if you don't agree, you're a loser!".

I know this post will make such a big difference in the world, it's a damn good thing I spent 15 minutes writing it. I expect I'll be nominated for the Nobel peace prize this year...

Originally posted by less'go
The problem I have with this thread is that zealous patriotism is a scary thing, boys and girls. It's not pretty, and it's destructive.

Gee, I think zealous patriotism is a little strong…Why can’t we be proud of our accomplishments…Although I’m not going to be so bold as to guess your political leanings.. hehe But, this is a typical Liberal comment..”oh, being proud is bad, you should show humility, you are not worthy…eiei O…As my Jewish friends would say..Bavosh!

I think I'll start a thread about why I am so great... Because my Dad is smart, my Mom is pretty, my great-grandfather was brave, my Aunt invented sliced bread. Therefore, I am great.

No offense but do you have any factual data to back up your claim? History perhaps?

Jag, thanks for the info on Marshall. What I was hoping you'd come back with its that through his plan, the dollar was imposed as THE international monetary unit. A move that put the U.S. in the most economically enviable position in the world.

Yes, us extremely greedy Americans….

As per the difference of opinion concerning the war, I am so tired of hearing Americans going "Hey, we bailed you out twice, and now France has betrayed us"

You know and I’m tired of hearing that argument…Yes because the French hate to admit that they were assisted in any way…By the way, I doubt if the WWII vets share your opinion….

Get off that soapbox, people. My brother saved my life twice when I was little. But when he was about 20, he started doing things I didn't agree with. We had a falling out when I wouldn't help him do something I could not morally agree with. Since then, he hates my guts, because he says I didn't stand by him. I could, it was against my beliefs.

Soapbox? Check the title of this forum lately??? By the way, with all due respect with what you just said here…I wonder if your brother given the choice now, would save your life?

I know that WE would save the French again…There…. na na I said it again!

Originally posted by Fixey
Talking of marketing, I have a cunning plan....I am working on a smokeless fuel that I can sell to Native American couples that arnt talking to each other....

Wow you just impressed this whole forum with your keen humor. As a person with mixed blood (part being native american) running through my veins I find your feeble attempt at humor to be both derogatory and offensive.

You are sooooo out there, Zapper... Read this paragraph and compare it to your very recent post where you touted "humility" as a virtue... You were talking about it just a while ago, and now it's a "typical liberal comment?" ARe your leanings geting a little mixed up?

The "French hate to admit that they were assisted in any way…By the way, I doubt if the WWII vets share your opinion…."

I was here for the 60th anniversary of D day, and the French celebrated it, and have you any idea how many of those vets came back to Normandy for the occasion? You are just so out there, since when are the French not thankful for that? That has NOTHING to do with blindly following US policies.

"Soapbox? Check the title of this forum lately??? By the way, with all due respect with what you just said here…I wonder if your brother given the choice now, would save your life? "

The big brother story is an analogy. I didn't say, though, that I turned my back on my brother. I just said I just refused to do something he asked me to do because it was against my beliefs.

France has not turned its back on the US either, even though it refused to participate in this episode of the war in Iraq. If the US were actually threatened in another conflict, there is no doubt that the French would send troops and support. Just like they have for every other American military effort since WWII. You can belittle the French army and air force if you wish, but they are very well-trained and equipped, and have long worked side-by-side with Americans.

Get over the grudge you're holding because the French don't support the war.

Originally posted by jaguar75
So I have decided to create a thread so we can talk about all of the great things that America has done...

OK everyone the point of the thread is to talk about the good America has done. Every country does good and every country also does bad. I haven't read one thread in this topic by an American that says the US has never done anything wrong. We recognize our downfalls but we also don't dwell on them. The point of the thread is to provide a forum for those people who have good things to say about the USA. READ THE FIRST POST by Jaguar75.

If you want to bash then go post your opinion in the Hating America thread. Feel free to do so, you are entitled to your opinion but please respect the purpose of this thread.

I am American but I have also lived overseas in two different countries. I have travelled to many others. I love the culture available in other countries. The world is a big beautiful place and we can all benefit from different cultures. If people would focus on the good others do the world would be a much better place.

Zapper, I'm at a loss as to why you think that
"most Americans that have traveled abroad will agree that the general populace from some countries...um, France comes to mind that for the most part are extremely arrogant and look at Americans as being uncivilized creatures."
Have you ever had your change thrown back at your from a clerk while you were buying a card for your spouse? Have you ever had a crowd around you at a public telephone booth making faces at you complaining because you were using their sacred device for telecommunication too long? I have had conversations with older folks from France while on travel and found them to be less “arrogant”. But the younger population were completely different. I’ve seen rocks thrown at fellow Americans, I’ve seen the exchange rate change right before my very eyes when a group of Americans were exchanging money. And before you say it…I wasn’t standing in line drunk and belligerent ranting about how Superior Americans are and how they should kiss the very ground that I was standing on….Not to say, I’ve never been drunk and belligerent…:)

I should know what the French think of Americans, I've lived here for ten years, my French is impeccable. This does not mean they hate Americans, or America. C'mon, enough already of that ****.
Ok, You’ve lived there for 10 years and now you speak for the people and know what is in their hearts and minds…Bravo or your French, so that makes you superior? See, you have only lived their 10 years and already you act like the stereotypical French citizen..Your metamorphosis is complete…Besides as I said, I’m waiting on Ratty to respond to clarify if the term is Bastards or Bastardi?

" Try it like this:
"Just because France isn't kissing the United States' butt doesn't mean that the French are arrogant. So, yes humility can go a long way, perhaps if other countries (the U.S) would practice that, France wouldn't seem so arrogant.
Round and round we go jack, circle of trust…Please refer to the riddle of the day…

Let us all not forget that America has given the world PLAYBOY and MAXIM and PENTHOUSE...

Let us all not forget that America has given the world PLAYBOY and MAXIM and PENTHOUSE...I mean lets talk about things that really matter...

Okay, Zapper, you're right on all counts, the U.S. is the best, the French and other European countries are bitter, arrogant wannabees, and there is no sense arguing about it, is there?

Okay, Zapper, you're right on all counts, the U.S. is the best, the French and other European countries are bitter, arrogant wannabees, and there is no sense arguing about it, is there?
I'm glad you came to your senses...Although, you missed the point and apparently you can't solve my riddle...Why does it have to be or us vs them? The point is....We...Americans admit we are not a perfect people. We have done so over and over concerning this topic. We do not want to be worshipped or patronized.. Just a little support or how about a little help when WE need it even though it may come at a price or be unpopular.

Yes, I'm out here and you know what...I'm not alone!:p

By the way, since you now reside in France, I hope you weren't a recipient of any of Bush's tax cuts....:)

Originally posted by birdman23
Wow you just impressed this whole forum with your keen humor. As a person with mixed blood (part being native american) running through my veins I find your feeble attempt at humor to be both derogatory and offensive.

Birdman:
I saw that one too but chose to ingnore it. What tribe does your ancestry come form I myself am part Cherokee.

Birdman:
I saw that one too but chose to ingnore it. What tribe does your ancestry come form I myself am part Cherokee.

Yeah I debated on whether or not to reply. To answer your question, apache and a few others.

Originally posted by limerickman
I think those who replied to the Hating America thread - stated that it is too much of a generalisation to say that one can Hate America in all it's aspects.

A more general question like "what aspects do you like/dislike about the USA" would encourage those who dislike aspects of America to reply.

As the question currently stands - only those who think America
is great will feel compelled to reply.

Oh, great.... Now we are so incompetent we can't even name our own thread???

C'mon Lim, that has never stopped you before...I know you have some nice things to say about the U.S....Go ahead, it will be good therapy for you :D

Yeah I debated on whether or not to reply. To answer your question, apache and a few others.

Guys we can only hope that he just didn't realize what he was saying there...I have to say, I am the last one to take up for him, but I haven't witnessed him going there before...

Originally posted by zapper
Guys we can only hope that he just didn't realize what he was saying there...I have to say, I am the last one to take up for him, but I haven't witnessed him going there before...

Yes let's hope. People just need to think before posting. I have no ill feelings.

Cool! I am part Irish, Scot,Cherokee and ashamed of none of my ancestry. That is what makes America great !

Not me myself that make America great but our pride and heritage. America where 200 years is a long time
Europe where 200 miles is a long way.

Cool! I am part Irish, Scot,Cherokee and ashamed of none of my ancestry. That is what makes America great !

Not me myself that make America great but our pride and heritage. America where 200 years is a long time
Europe where 200 miles is a long way.

I love my heritage too and you are correct in saying that is what makes America great, cultural melting. I am a regular old Heinz 57 myself. English, Irish, Swedish, Apache, etc.

I love my heritage too and you are correct in saying that is what makes America great, cultural melting. I am a regular old Heinz 57 myself. English, Irish, Swedish, Apache, etc.

Yeah, me too...English, Irish. Wife is Syrian, Latvian..Half brothers that are Jewish/Russian decent...Their Grandmother/Father immigrated in 1914....Quite a mix in my family and we all get along.......:D