Why are brass nipples silver?

On Feb 19, 7:47 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Why are brass nipples silver?

Dear Ken,

Brass spoke nipples can be plated silver or black (and probably other
colors), partly for looks, partly for corrosion.

Doubts have been expressed about whether plain brass nipples normally
corrode, often in conjunction with rants about cosmetic foolishness.
Spoke companies ignore both the doubts and the rants.

DT Swiss offers brass nipples in either black or silver, the
difference being aesthetic:

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=9

Click on the black and gray rectangles to see the two different
colors.

Here's Wheelsmith's corrosion claim:

"Wheelsmith nipples are coated with a unique intermetallic substance
second only to gold for its corrosion resistance. Nickel or chrome
plating, once the preferred coatings for many bicycle parts, was
gradually replaced by superior materials, except on spoke nipples.
Duristan produces a brilliant, shiny surface with a slightly blue
cast."

http://wheelsmith.com/index_files/spoketech.htm

It would be nice if someone could explain what Duristan is.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Feb 19, 9:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 19, 7:47 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Why are brass nipples silver?

> Dear Ken,
>
> Brass spoke nipples can be plated silver or black (and probably other
> colors), partly for looks, partly for corrosion.
>
> Doubts have been expressed about whether plain brass nipples normally
> corrode, often in conjunction with rants about cosmetic foolishness.
> Spoke companies ignore both the doubts and the rants.
>
> DT Swiss offers brass nipples in either black or silver, the
> difference being aesthetic:
>
> http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=9
>
> Click on the black and gray rectangles to see the two different
> colors.
>
> Here's Wheelsmith's corrosion claim:
>
> "Wheelsmith nipples are coated with a unique intermetallic substance
> second only to gold for its corrosion resistance. Nickel or chrome
> plating, once the preferred coatings for many bicycle parts, was
> gradually replaced by superior materials, except on spoke nipples.
> Duristan produces a brilliant, shiny surface with a slightly blue
> cast."
>
> http://wheelsmith.com/index_files/spoketech.htm
>
> It would be nice if someone could explain what Duristan is.

Former Soviet Bloc country, located to the northwest of Carjackistan.

Carl Fogel writes:

>> Why are brass nipples silver?

> Brass spoke nipples can be plated silver or black (and probably other
> colors), partly for looks, partly for corrosion.

> Doubts have been expressed about whether plain brass nipples normally
> corrode, often in conjunction with rants about cosmetic foolishness.
> Spoke companies ignore both the doubts and the rants.

I have no doubt because the nickel plated spoke nipples I use. Flash
tin plated ones I once used lost their tin (a sacrificial anode as
zinc on corrugated sheet metal roofs that lose their plating) and
turned black as copper alloys do. The next step was that they turned
green in winter and made themselves hard to turn, being corroded
inside and out.

> DT Swiss offers brass nipples in either black or silver, the
> difference being aesthetic:

I think they are both nickel that can be treated to be black, often
called "black chrome" being mainly the nickel plate. Why waste chrome
if you don't need it silver sheen?

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=9

> Click on the black and gray rectangles to see the two different
> colors.

> Here's Wheelsmith's corrosion claim:

> "Wheelsmith nipples are coated with a unique intermetallic substance
> second only to gold for its corrosion resistance. Nickel or chrome
> plating, once the preferred coatings for many bicycle parts, was
> gradually replaced by superior materials, except on spoke nipples.
> Duristan produces a brilliant, shiny surface with a slightly blue
> cast."

> http://wheelsmith.com/index_files/spoketech.htm

That's pretty hard to take! I'll bet it is tenacious as well. Don't
leave out any buzz words when writing this sort of stuff. Rick has
always been an expert at this.

> It would be nice if someone could explain what Duristan is.

As I recall Stnnum is:

# Alchemy Symbol

# The symbol for the metal tin was sometimes interchangeable with the
# astrological symbol for the planet Jupiter. Tin was also known as
# stannum, the name from which the element's symbol is derived (Sn).

Duristan would then be hard tin plating, if there is a hard version of
this process.

Jobst Brandt

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:01:50 -0800, Daniel wrote:

> just curious...

Durex-tan, not pink.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Like most computer techie people, I'll happily spend 6 hours trying to

Zog The Undeniable said:
Daniel wrote:
> just curious...

The more pertinent question is: why do you have nipples?

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/male_plastic_surgery/why_men_have_nipples.html
because whilst they already have a place to put their donuts they would have no place to hang their house keys...

or in evolutionary terms, whilst the bow and hunting axe could hang gracefully, where do you keep your spare loops of sabre tooth tiger intestine for the back up bow strings and binding twine ( so just poke a bone shard through each one and its done ....two hooks)...perfect set up ....

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Why are brass nipples silver?
>>

> Uh, because of the chrome/UPC/Nickel plating? Is there a joke in there
> some place?

It's a Bratton question.

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Daniel wrote:

>> just curious...

Because red anodizing fades in sunlight.

or

To match your Chris King hubs.

> The more pertinent question is: why do you have nipples?

Carl Fogel will be along in a mo' to recommend Stephen Jay Gould's "Male
Nipples and Clitoral Ripples", unless someone else gets there first.

Oh.

James Thomson

On 20 Feb 2007 04:13:50 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Carl Fogel writes:
>
>> It would be nice if someone could explain what Duristan is.

>Duristan would then be hard tin plating, if there is a hard version of
>this process.

Just for laughs I did a google search for Duristan. I got 334 hits,
most associated with spoke nipples. By the time I had added -nipple
-nipples -wheelsmith to the search I was down to 46 hits. The most
imaginative was the use of Duristan as a fictional country in a
scenario proposed by a site called "Interactive Adventures in Ethics".

;-)

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:40:17 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The most
>imaginative was the use of Duristan as a fictional country in a
>scenario proposed by a site called "Interactive Adventures in Ethics".

I believe Duristan is created from an alloy of Cobalt and Unobtanium.

- Bob - wrote:

> I believe Duristan is created from an alloy of Cobalt and Unobtanium.

No, no, no. It's a really long-lasting nasal spray.

Bill "I'll wait for it" S.