Why are Euro bikes so heavy?

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:54:54 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My spell checker recommends that "Rans" be replaced with "RANS". I have trained it well. ;)
>
>Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Yeah, but now you probably have trouble in email conversations about strips in old issues of
'Heavy Metal'.

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

On 6 Feb 2004 02:41:21 -0800, [email protected] (john riley)
wrote:

>Seems like I haven't "seen" you in a long time... Welcome back. As you can see, this place has gone
>all to hell... ;-)
>
>john riley

An excellent reason to come back...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Originally posted by Tom Sherman
meb wrote:

> ... Besides, Tim Brummer still edges most of those Euro bikes on weight.

Either the bikes are really heavy, or Mr. Brummer should eat more.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Oops-should have read Tim Brummer's bikes, including his heaviest Lightning equiped model, the F-40.

It's because they use ALUMINIUM, instead of the much lighter aluminum.
"Tom Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well,
>
> Does anyone know why European bikes seem to be so distinctly heavy? I've not ridden any but they
> always seem to be up in the +14kg rang at
least.

meb wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > meb wrote:
> > > ... Besides, Tim Brummer still edges most of those Euro bikes on weight.
> > Either the bikes are really heavy, or Mr. Brummer should eat more. Tom Sherman - Quad Cities
>
> Oops-should have read Tim Brummer's bikes, including his heaviest Lightning equiped model,
> the F-40.

I have witnessed an XL size P-38/F-40 being weighed. The bare bike was about 32 pounds (~14-1/2 kgf)
and with the fairing it was about 40 pounds (~18 kgf).

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Originally posted by Tom Nicholson
Well,

Does anyone know why European bikes seem to be so distinctly heavy? I've not ridden any but they
always seem to be up in the +14kg rang at least.

Tom
Probably because they are not as obsessed with weight as we. Most Europeans and Asians see bikes as being more functional than recreational.

SharpyWarpy <[email protected]>
> Probably because they are not as obsessed with weight as we. Most Europeans and Asians see bikes
> as being more functional than recreational.

Hmm I like that one.

Its more likely (than the other reasons offerd so far) seeing as the market dictates how the product
ends up, and filters out those that are not wanted. I suspect that the likes of Optima would not be
around if the Europeans were weight weenies.

Tom

[email protected] (Tom Nicholson) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Well,
>
> Does anyone know why European bikes seem to be so distinctly heavy? I've not ridden any but they
> always seem to be up in the +14kg rang at least.
>
> Tom

Heavy? No kidding, if Euro-bikes were any heavier they would have to come with floor jacks. The
thing is, after paying VAT and a round dozen other taxes on their bike purchase, most Euro-dudes can
not afford the purchase of a proper bicycle lock. Reportedly, many Europeans have been reduced to
trying to secure their bikes with twist ties, usually taken from bread bags. Greater security can
sometimes be had by twisting the twist tie counter-clockwise. But that measure is effective on a
rather limited segment of society. So, bikes are made heavy in an attempt to deter theft. I mean,
you try lifting one of those Euro- bikes silently into a car boot in the middle of some moonless
night by yourself. I can tell you from first-hand experience that it simply can not be done. So Euro-
bike weight is not a problem, it is, in fact, a solution.

i think if here in italy someone starts to thinks seriously to sporty bents (i mean people at olmo,
pinarello or another df builder) you will have to specify: euro bikes are heavy, but italian bikes
are lighter than any other bent in the world ;-) mate

"tzenobite" skrev ...
> i think if here in italy someone starts to thinks seriously to sporty bents (i mean people at
> olmo, pinarello or another df builder) you will have to specify: euro bikes are heavy, but italian
> bikes are lighter than any other bent in the world ;-)

Except the Dolce Vita ;o)

The lighter bicycle of the last T.D.F., isn't an italian bicycle. I remember that Cannondale was
obliged to attach some masses to pay a weight handicap... The golden era of the Italian road bikes
is in the end... The last T.D.F. was winned by an American, riding an American bicycle with Japanese
mechanics...

[]'s Eduardo
--

Ypê Bike: http://www.ypebike.cjb.net/ Ypê Mono: http://www.ype.unicyclist.com/

"tzenobite" <[email protected]> escreveu na mensagem
news:080220041315062250%[email protected]...
> i think if here in italy someone starts to thinks seriously to sporty bents (i mean people at
> olmo, pinarello or another df builder) you will have to specify: euro bikes are heavy, but italian
> bikes are lighter than any other bent in the world ;-) mate

---

"Eduardo L P Jr" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> The lighter bicycle of the last T.D.F., isn't an italian bicycle. I remember that Cannondale was
> obliged to attach some masses to pay a weight handicap... The golden era of the Italian road bikes
> is in the end... The last T.D.F. was winned by an American, riding an American bicycle with
> Japanese mechanics...
>

> []'s Eduardo

Plus, the earth isn't actually round, but more of a spheroid - wider at the equator, so it turns out
that the effect of gravity in Europe isn't as great as it is in more moderate latitudes. Thus while
the mass in KG is the same, the "weight" is less.

And it isn't even April First!

(bitshift etc)