Why are front forks all upside down??

Andrew Muzi mused:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Cannondale Lefty?
>>> Upside down fork, no issue with left-right connection (spring/damper),
>>> sealing and brakes (disk only). Pretty smart if you look at it this
>>> way (I never did)

> Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
>> How can something with only one leg be a fork?

> In the olden days, a bicycle had 'forks'. The term became singular at
> some point, obviously more singular with that thing.

"Hey, one of your forks fell off" - yelled at me while riding one of my
bikes with a mono-strut connecting the front hub to the headset.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Sep 30, 8:46 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Cannondale Lefty?
> > Upside down fork, no issue with left-right connection (spring/damper),
> > sealing and brakes (disk only). Pretty smart if you look at it this
> > way (I never did)

> How can something with only one leg be a fork?

A fork with one tine is a skewer, but in
bicycle usage that word is already taken.

I'm still waiting for Cannondale to invent
a brake with a pad on only one side.

Ben

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andrew Muzi mused:

> > Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
> >> How can something with only one leg be a fork?

> > In the olden days, a bicycle had 'forks'. The term became singular at
> > some point, obviously more singular with that thing.

> "Hey, one of your forks fell off" - yelled at me while riding one of my
> bikes with a mono-strut connecting the front hub to the headset.

The shouter was clearly illiterate, Tom. The missing part was a "tine".

All down with the mono-struts,

> On Sep 30, 8:46 am, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> Cannondale Lefty?
>>> Upside down fork, no issue with left-right connection (spring/damper),
>>> sealing and brakes (disk only). Pretty smart if you look at it this
>>> way (I never did)

>> How can something with only one leg be a fork?

> A fork with one tine is a skewer, but in
> bicycle usage that word is already taken.
>
> I'm still waiting for Cannondale to invent
> a brake with a pad on only one side.
>
> Ben

ever heard of vespa?

"Ego sum rex Romanus, et supra grammaticam." - Sigismund

and then on Sun, 30 Sep 2007 21:21:21 -0500, also wrote:

>"Hey, one of your forks fell off" - yelled at me while riding one of my
>bikes with a mono-strut connecting the front hub to the headset.

If one scrutinizes the difference between fork and forks so closely,
does not the term "mono-strut" suffer a similar defect?

John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Since 1983
Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996
http://www.businesscycles.com