Why are motorists so dopey?

scotty72

New Member
Jul 10, 2005
Why are motorists so dopey?

Yesterday, I decided to go have a Captain Cook at the USS Kitty-Hawk.

So, I jumps on me bike at Strathfield and about 35-40 mins later I'm cruising along William Street up towards 'The Cross"

The traffic was unbelievable...

Despite a massive media blitz and hundreds of big yellow signs warning of special clearways, traffic arrangements and urging people to leave their cars at home, I saw.

1) Thousands of idiots in cars trying to crawl down Darlinghurst and Macleay Sts. to an area with bugger all parking at the best of times. For the warship visit - there is NO parking.

2) Two idiots, one arguing with a parking officer and the other with a tow-truck driver (who had a car - presumably the idiot's - on board). Apparently, these geese believed that the restrictions didn't apply to them and the chaos they were contributing to didn't matter.

Hopefully, they both copped maximum fines and towing fees (as well as a gaol term for being a ****-head).

Why is it that motorists try to squeeze their cars into inner city areas when they have been told there is no parking and the guarantee of thousands and thousands of sightseers?

How dumb?

SCotty

Dunno if it's purely down to the mode of transport or some people are just non compos mentis for starters. Had a scenario the other evening that sadly proves that one good turn doesn't neccessarily lead to another. While on foot to the train station I noticed a bloke slumped over inside a parked car, so I tap on the passengers side. He's ok, just checking a mobile recharger & was very kind about the fact I was concerned about him.

So I continue on my journey, and are about to cross the main road to a side street. Notice two cars have stopped and are indicating to go into the same street, and the traffic flow is clear in both directions for about 40m. First car turns, so watching them, I start to cross over. Still watching the indicating cars I walk to the centre line, and the second car hasn't turned, the driver has decided to accelerate, go straight and just missed clipping me. Where the hell they were indicating to is a mystery, as the next turn was over 100m away. Ignorant *****.

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:32:33 +1000, scotty72 wrote:

> Why is it that motorists try to squeeze their cars into inner city
> areas when they have been told there is no parking and the guarantee of
> thousands and thousands of sightseers?

I figure they're paid to do it by motoring lobby groups who want evidence
that more and more roads are needed.

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:32:33 +1000, scotty72 wrote:

> 1) Thousands of idiots in cars trying to crawl down Darlinghurst and
> Macleay Sts. to an area with bugger all parking at the best of times.
> For the warship visit - there is NO parking.

There were no reports of traffic problems at 6pm on the radio. Don't know
about what happened later.

> 2) Two idiots, one arguing with a parking officer and the other with a
> tow-truck driver (who had a car - presumably the idiot's - on board).
> Apparently, these geese believed that the restrictions didn't apply to
> them and the chaos they were contributing to didn't matter.

The Government didn't declare the clearways till Wednesday night.
There was video on Channel 7 of them towing away cars while they were still
putting up the clearway signs!. Fairly easy to understand why someone who
parked in a legal parking spot in the morning and found their car being
towed in the afternoon was rather ****** off.

Yet another example of the State Government screwing up and then over
reacting once they realised there may be security and traffic problems.

dewatf.

On 2007-07-06, dewatf (aka Bruce)
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:32:33 +1000, scotty72 wrote:
>
>> 1) Thousands of idiots in cars trying to crawl down Darlinghurst and
>> Macleay Sts. to an area with bugger all parking at the best of times.
>> For the warship visit - there is NO parking.

> There were no reports of traffic problems at 6pm on the radio. Don't know
> about what happened later.
>
>> 2) Two idiots, one arguing with a parking officer and the other with a
>> tow-truck driver (who had a car - presumably the idiot's - on board).
>> Apparently, these geese believed that the restrictions didn't apply to
>> them and the chaos they were contributing to didn't matter.

> The Government didn't declare the clearways till Wednesday night.
> There was video on Channel 7 of them towing away cars while they were still
> putting up the clearway signs!.

Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
completely different to fact.

--
TimC
hey Beavis, we're segfaulting, heh heh heh, I know, Butthead, so let's

TimC said:

> The Government didn't declare the clearways till Wednesday night.
> There was video on Channel 7 of them towing away cars while they were still
> putting up the clearway signs!.

Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
completely different to fact.
Hey, at least they didn't chain some old lady in a wheel chair to a clearway sign then send in a fake ranger to book her. (but I bet that they thought about it)

As for declaring the clearways only Wed. Total BS. I had heard about it for days before. Even your beloved Ch7 were interviewing local business owners who were whining about lost business because of parking restrictions. So, you think they were secret restrictions that the business community were *****ing about. Having your cake and eating it too, are we?

Despite that. The witches hats with attached rope and signs that were strung out alone the kerb-side lanes should have provided the clue.

TimC wrote:
> On 2007-07-06, dewatf (aka Bruce)
>
>>On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:32:33 +1000, scotty72 wrote:
>>

>>>1) Thousands of idiots in cars trying to crawl down Darlinghurst and
>>>Macleay Sts. to an area with bugger all parking at the best of times.
>>>For the warship visit - there is NO parking.

>>There were no reports of traffic problems at 6pm on the radio. Don't know
>>about what happened later.
>>

>>>2) Two idiots, one arguing with a parking officer and the other with a
>>>tow-truck driver (who had a car - presumably the idiot's - on board).
>>>Apparently, these geese believed that the restrictions didn't apply to
>>>them and the chaos they were contributing to didn't matter.

>>The Government didn't declare the clearways till Wednesday night.
>>There was video on Channel 7 of them towing away cars while they were still
>>putting up the clearway signs!.

> Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
> television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
> completely different to fact.

While I would generally agree with you about Channel 7 (and the other
commercial channels) this was widely reported and so almost certainly true

--
Remove norubbish to reply

scotty72 wrote:

> Despite a massive media blitz and hundreds of big yellow signs warning
> of special clearways, traffic arrangements and urging people to leave
> their cars at home, I saw.

Do not know about inner Sydney, but mid west was chokka as well. SWMBO
had to drive to Parramatta and usually usesthe Cumberland Hwy for the
less than 1hour drive. It took her 1.5 hours and she used the M7 as well.

On 2007-07-06, Jack Russell (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2007-07-06, dewatf (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>>
>>>The Government didn't declare the clearways till Wednesday night.
>>>There was video on Channel 7 of them towing away cars while they were still
>>>putting up the clearway signs!.

>> Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
>> television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
>> completely different to fact.
>>

> While I would generally agree with you about Channel 7 (and the other
> commercial channels) this was widely reported and so almost certainly true

So was children overboard :)

--
TimC
"I give up," said Pierre de Fermat's friend. "How DO you keep a

TimC wrote:
> On 2007-07-06, Jack Russell (aka Bruce)
>
>>TimC wrote:
>>
>>>On 2007-07-06, dewatf (aka Bruce)
>>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
>>>television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
>>>completely different to fact.
>>>

>>While I would generally agree with you about Channel 7 (and the other
>>commercial channels) this was widely reported and so almost certainly true

> So was children overboard :)

Fair enough guvnor!

--
Remove norubbish to reply

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 22:56:21 +1000, TimC wrote:

> Channel 7 eh? Let me guess: Today Tonight? Compeletely trustworthy
> television that is. No, they never edit scenes to portray something
> completely different to fact.

Channel 7 occassionaly get things right. This time they sent someone out
with a camera to record the chaos but were embarassed to be unable to find
anything to show. Caught out when the traffic chaos had nothing to do with
ship but with a train's hatch catching on powerlines on the bridge.

The SMH reported the same thing in the morning and Sydney City Council
stated the same thing.

dewatf.