WHY ARE SOME CYCLISTS SO STUPID?!?!?!?

coolcamaro12

Apr 22, 2012
It simply amazes me how stupid some cyclists can be. I am riding along on the sidewalk going down a hill (about 13mph to be safe because I know the sidewalk is a bit narrow), and I go around the corner and see a person up ahead. I thought it was no big deal since he would move to the left and I would move to the right. This would provide adequate space to pass. this person though it was fine to stay right in the middle of the sidewalk. I am forced to go to the right on the sidewalk as far as possible and almost completely got my tire wedged in between the corner of the sidewalk and grass! (Btw you could never ride the road in this part of town you would be murdered by the drivers here...they're absolutely insane and don't know how to handle going down hills). Yeah so that's my story....:mad:

When I pass someone on the side walk I always...no wait that when I was 8 years old. Not sure about sidewalks since it is technically illegal to ride a bike on them here.

Here in Abq, riding on the sidewalk is technically against the law, but I've never seen anyone get in trouble for it. The cops have better things to do and probably prefer to let cyclists break a few laws than having to scrape their broken, twisted corpses off the road with a putty knife. I used to ride along with traffic under any and all circumstances, just like I'm s'posed to. I'm not that stupid anymore, now I ride on the sidewalk for little stretches when I absolutely, positively MUST be on a street with 40+ mph speed limit. Which usually translates into 50-70 actual speed. Not to scoff at the law, I just don't wanna die - at least not under some stupid asshole's oil pan.

I ride on 45mph roads around here all the time, as with many different locales. The largest risk is when the cars think they can fit where they shouldn't. If they are going to be that rough, play the game. Most drivers care too much to scratch thier paint ;)

Originally Posted by Conniebiker .

I ride on 45mph roads around here all the time, as with many different locales. The largest risk is when the cars think they can fit where they shouldn't. If they are going to be that rough, play the game. Most drivers care too much to scratch thier paint ;)
I do too and I agree, I'm constantly amazed by people who will tag along behind you, and finally decide to pass when there is an oncoming vehicle.

Nukuhiva said:
The golf course execs in the Lexuses (Lexi?), Mercs and wanna-be Hummers who are afraid to scratch their paint by approaching closer than 15 feet to a cyclist aren't the problem. The drunk, drugged cholo gangsta-wanna-bes with 76 past DUI convictions (cousin's a judge....), no insurance and a spider crack for a windshield in the thumpa-thumpa-I'm-a'blow-every-window-on-da-block-wi'-ma-1200 decibel-rap lo-ridah are the problem. We don' need no stinkin' paint job - Honkie gon' DIE!
Well that set of words is pretty much unintelligible.

Originally Posted by Nukuhiva .

The golf course execs in the Lexuses (Lexi?), Mercs and wanna-be Hummers who are afraid to scratch their paint by approaching closer than 15 feet to a cyclist aren't the problem. The drunk, drugged cholo gangsta-wanna-bes with 76 past DUI convictions (cousin's a judge....), no insurance and a spider crack for a windshield in the thumpa-thumpa-I'm-a'blow-every-window-on-da-block-wi'-ma-1200 decibel-rap lo-ridah are the problem. We don' need no stinkin' paint job - Honkie gon' DIE!
I generally find auto's decked out with with the sound systems descibed to have impeccable paint jobs. YMMV.

Sorry for the misunderstanding..it is a sidewalk that goes on for about quarter mile that joins 2 bike trails...maybe they should make it wider since only cyclists use it....The only person i saw riding on the road about 100 feet away almost got killed.

Originally Posted by Nukuhiva .

Racist screed from someone who I assume has never ridden in proximity to rich white folks in fancy cars. You are delusional if you think fear of scratched paint is going to stop a successful person from doing whatever possible to get ahead of you.

Originally Posted by coolcamaro12 .

Sorry for the misunderstanding..it is a sidewalk that goes on for about quarter mile that joins 2 bike trails...maybe they should make it wider since only cyclists use it....The only person i saw riding on the road about 100 feet away almost got killed.

Riding on the sidewalk is only prohibited in the central business district of Washington DC. Elsewhere in the greater Washington DC area it is allowed and in my opinion can be done in a safe manner.

On the other hand, we can't expect other sidewalk users to adhere to the "rules of the road" as they are not on a road. Riding on the sidewalk may sometimes include stopping (or slowing) to avoid collisions. You should not expect other sidewalk users to facilitate your desire to maintain your speed.

Be safe and enjoy the ride!

I'm confused by the thread title as it seems it should be 'why are some pedestrians so stupid'. Weren't you the only cyclist in your story?

On MUPs, the pedestrian, as the more vulnerable party, then has an expectation that the faster more mobile mode of transport will move around them. One approach I've found (as I will not risk my wheels or injuy, is to simply come to a stop where I am and make them walk round me. Once they are clear I carry on.

Reactions: qdc15
Q: Why are some cyclist so stupid?
A: My guess is that cyclists contain a representative sample of the general population.

My all time list of stupid cyclist acts I have witnessed. Mostly in Asia, Europe, North America, and South America. No no experience cycling in Africa or Antarctica.
Not in any order.
  1. Cyclist racing at night on a crowded, poorly lit narrow trail with NO lights or helmets --> Result: Head on collision that sent two unconscious riders to the hospital.
  2. Cyclist racing down a 8.3% grade with tight turns --> Result: Bad head injury. Ryder was motionless while waiting for ambulance.
  3. Cyclist taking on a cell phone held in one hand --> Result: Other cyclist diving off the trail to avoid the erratic turns
  4. Cyclist riding while intoxicated --> Result: Cyclist in the dirt. But he was still singing.
  5. Cyclist ogling a young lady by looking backward --> Result: Multi-bicycle pile-up. Only minor injuries.
  6. Cyclists riding in rush hour traffic in a over-crowed city --> Result: Dead cyclist. (Hard thing to see)
  7. Cyclist suddenly stopping and dropping bicycle in path of on coming riders --> Result: Unconscious rider (concussion) and grade-four shoulder separation
  8. Cyclist riding on a sunny summer day in a speedo and flip-flops --> Result: A bright red sunburn I'll bet that dude still remembers.
  9. Cyclist riding in typhoon storm surge where the water was at his waist while riding --> Result: Dude was lucky, he lived to ride another day.
  10. Cyclist racing down a steep hill on mountain bike in rural area --> Result: Cyclist dumps bike in ditch to avoid hitting old man and dog

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
Love how the first sentence is "It simply amazes me how stupid some cyclists can be.

Then comes out the response that just seals this sentence with a kiss.

" I am riding along on the sidewalk going down a hill (about 13mph to be safe because I know the sidewalk is a bit narrow), "

Humans walk at 2 to 3 MPH you are going 10 MPH faster then them on a "Narrow sidewalk.". if i were walking I would have done the same thing. Hence the reason it is called a SideWALK not a sideride.

Sorry man but you thinking you will get hit by cars is not a reason to ride on the sideWALK.

Riding on the sidewalk is dangerous especially here in a tourist area since that's where a lot of them drive.

Reactions: qdc15
One thing that would help resolve this issue is proper design. We don't have "sidewalks" here except in the oldest neighborhoods. We have "Safety Paths" and it's a great idea, because they are 10 feet wide, which in all but the rare situations allows everyone enough space. It is, I found, a good idea to have a horn or other noisemaker to alert pedestrians ahead that you're coming. Slow down, way down, and always yield to them, stopping and walking it if necessary. Most people are really courteous to each other all the way around, a smile and greeting always get you further than a sour, sullen glance. The only people that worry me are ones so engrossed in loud music through headphones they don't respond to an audio warning/alert. Or the dog walkers with multiple dogs, multiple leashes, and dogs darting all over, fast. Dogs, what can I say, I have one, my best friend, but there are those that want to eat you just because it would be so much fun to take a bite out of you. Worst case scenario, you take the grass or take the fall if you absolutely must. I haven't been in that situation yet to take a spill, but if I had to I would. I'm mass at velocity, I have more force than a pedestrian.

Danny