why are there too many bike shops?

datakoll

Guest
On Oct 25, 3:16 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyway, googling search businesses in google maps for bicycles,
> Madison, Wisconsin gives the ambience of AMuzi's loneliness. While
> there check out Yellow Jersey's primo location - and Qui si pasa in
> Boulder, CO where summer lasts forever.
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...

??? Ya lost me Data......

Yep, there are 6 bike shops w/i 20 blocks of Vecchio's...

FullCycle
University
ProPeloton
Bike Village
Sports Garage
The Fix

plus another 3 not far, plus Excel, plus Performance, plus REI...but
competition makes ya stronger.

datakoll wrote:
> Anyway, googling search businesses in google maps for bicycles,
> Madison, Wisconsin gives the ambience of AMuzi's loneliness. While
> there check out Yellow Jersey's primo location - and Qui si pasa in
> Boulder, CO where summer lasts forever.
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...76,-89.333267&spn=0.297314,0.693512&z=11&om=1
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...12,-120.33789&spn=0.129015,0.346756&z=12&om=1
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...icycles&near=El+Paso,+Texas&ie=UTF8&z=11&om=1

As they say, buddy, "Nice, but it ain't New York":
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...88397,-73.957214&spn=0.90163,1.95282&z=9&om=1
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Oct 25, 3:35 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> datakoll wrote:
> > Anyway, googling search businesses in google maps for bicycles,
> > Madison, Wisconsin gives the ambience of AMuzi's loneliness. While
> > there check out Yellow Jersey's primo location - and Qui si pasa in
> > Boulder, CO where summer lasts forever.
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...

> As they say, buddy, "Nice, but it ain't New York":http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Or Portland, Oregon. See
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...88397,-73.957214&spn=0.90163,1.95282&z=9&om=1

Keep flipping through the pages. There are three Performance shops in
the metro area; three REIs and a bazillion independents -- two steel
frame builders (Strawberry, Vanilla -- sorry, no Chocolate), Chris
King, Yakima, Anodizing, Inc., Universal Cycles (big mail order -- but
walk-in, too). I wonder how they all stay in business. -- Jay Beattie.

On Oct 25, 4:28 pm, Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 3:35 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > datakoll wrote:
> > > Anyway, googling search businesses in google maps for bicycles,
> > > Madison, Wisconsin gives the ambience of AMuzi's loneliness. While
> > > there check out Yellow Jersey's primo location - and Qui si pasa in
> > > Boulder, CO where summer lasts forever.
> > >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
> > >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...
> > >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...

> > As they say, buddy, "Nice, but it ain't New York":http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...
> > --
> > Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Or Portland, Oregon. Seehttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...
>
> Keep flipping through the pages. There are three Performance shops in
> the metro area; three REIs and a bazillion independents -- two steel
> frame builders (Strawberry, Vanilla -- sorry, no Chocolate), Chris
> King, Yakima, Anodizing, Inc., Universal Cycles (big mail order -- but
> walk-in, too). I wonder how they all stay in business. -- Jay Beattie.

Hmmm. For some reason it won't cut and paste for Portland. It comes
up N.Y. -- so just type in Portland, Oregon. -- Jay Beattie.

> plus another 3 not far, plus Excel, plus Performance, plus REI...but
> competition makes ya stronger.

KILLING the competition makes you stronger
let us not confuse product with the proprietor's welfare

Jay Beattie wrote:
>> Or Portland, Oregon. Seehttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...
>> Keep flipping through the pages. There are three Performance shops in
>> the metro area; three REIs and a bazillion independents -- two steel
>> frame builders (Strawberry, Vanilla -- sorry, no Chocolate), Chris
>> King, Yakima, Anodizing, Inc., Universal Cycles (big mail order -- but
>> walk-in, too). I wonder how they all stay in business. -- Jay Beattie.

> Hmmm. For some reason it won't cut and paste for Portland. It comes
> up N.Y. -- so just type in Portland, Oregon. -- Jay Beattie.

I had the same problem. Use the 'send link' box on the right side
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> datakoll wrote:
> > http://www.google.com/Top/Sports/Cycling/Bike_Shops/North_America/United_Sta
> > tes/

> paid listings? If not, what criterion was used?

The Google Directory is a human-edited directory, a sort of last-decade
version of Google. You can submit a site to a particular directory.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

no quick answer for: "how many bike shops" , number of, total
my florida response, a grOWING economy - 2 in one out - is
satryration.
Impossible to ride 4 miles without stepping in bikeshop.
"bicycle mechanics" roam streets looking for work
sometimes holding signs: WILL WORK FOR FOOD
entering a bike shop: crowds of milling customers, 3-4-5 mechanics 2-3
salespeople in a Mac sized area.
frankly, I have nooooooo idea where a poster came up with idea that
bike shops were waning unless he's in Barrow.
beach shops, eccentric's shops, junk bike shops, wholesale shops, flea
market shops,retired hobby shops, dealer shops, more flea market
shops, GP shops...
divinity deleted it's raing LBS.

yeah, you gotta time your entry carefully so you can wheel your bike
to the counter without bashing some half wits (they come in groups for
self protection) trying to spend money

On Oct 25, 4:24 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 25, 3:16 pm, datakoll <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, googling search businesses in google maps for bicycles,
> > Madison, Wisconsin gives the ambience of AMuzi's loneliness. While
> > there check out Yellow Jersey's primo location - and Qui si pasa in
> > Boulder, CO where summer lasts forever.

> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...

> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=b...

> >http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=B...

> ??? Ya lost me Data......
>
> Yep, there are 6 bike shops w/i 20 blocks of Vecchio's...
>
> FullCycle
> University
> ProPeloton
> Bike Village
> Sports Garage
> The Fix
>
> plus another 3 not far, plus Excel, plus Performance, plus REI...but
> competition makes ya stronger.

Good to see Full Cycle still kickin. Too bad Yellow Sub is gone. It
must be, right?

Robert

Ge, there are only two within 50 miles of me. :-3(>

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use: