why are track sprinter so much faster now?

dominikk85

Oct 29, 2012
I know that the training, tracks and material got better but I cannot believe how slow the track sprinters of the 80s were compared to today. I mean it's normal that they got faster but guys like Hübner could do a 10.2 at best when today this is about the 20th best quali time (well harnett did an altitude aided sub 10 but at sea level he too raced well over 10 while now even at sea level the best 3 usually go under 10).

in contrast to this in track and field the times got faster too but still the best 80s times are very competitive now in contrast to the road sprint times which are not competive at all. I guess guys like Hübner or heßlich would probably have no chance now. why is that? the GDR had a very high training and science level and still have many WR holders in other sports. why are they so far back in track sprint especially considering there is no money in track cycling which would mean that todays commercialized sport is not really an advantage?

I would say there are several reasons why.

1. Improved technology. Not only are frames, bearings, and helmets better but now we can actually measure the bearing resistance and test aerodynamics to such a small degree that we know which materials to use.

2. Training. The competition is so tough, you have to kill yourself just to qualify. These guys are under a lot of pressure. Qualifying is tougher than the race itself.

3. Indoor velodromes. These times are impossible outdoors, unless you are way up in the clouds.
In the 80's there were very few indoor velodromes.

4. Debated by some, but a new scientific paper proves that "if the rider leans deeply into a turn" on a 250 track, he will gain speed. This is an advantage over 333 sized 200 meter runs. If the rider doesn't lean in or relaxes for a fraction of a second, then it is not an advantage. (Think of the principal of seven people holding hands like iceskaters spinning in a big circle. The first just spins, but the seventh person in line is flying, going faster that the sixth one.Your wheels do the same thing when you lean in so that your upper body remains at the same speed and the wheels are forced to keep up in a larger diameter path.) Some say the steep banking is a benefit also, but I've seen fast sprints from the blue line too.

It's interesting how things just get faster and better over the years. We look back on time and we think about all the different things that we've had and we understand that now there are either improved are there something new that does the job weight easier. We look over the old designs and we realize that there can be improvements made and little by little we increase the quality.

It's necessary to be able to beat the guy who won before you if you want to win. You see this in every sport. Athletes are in the most competitive business of all. And they have to constantly one up the guy that came before them. These speeds were possible in the 80s too. They just didnt know it yet.

Another factor that has not been discussed is the amount of knowledge we have now for optimal nutrition. If you look at world records for lifting, you can see that as time passes, records also get progressively higher. This is because we can train much more effectively now than 20 years ago, and we can recover much faster because we know so much about proper nutrition.

Honestly, it could be evolution. Our bodies just evolved into better humans. Ones that are faster stronger and even healthier. Evolution has very interesting factors in today's humans.

It has got to be the tech. Improved parts and technology make a world of difference in any endeavor. it raises the bar in competition after a while because everybody has the advantage.

Honestly, it could be evolution. Our bodies just evolved into better humans. Ones that are faster stronger and even healthier. Evolution has very interesting factors in today's humans.
I completely agree with you. It's really an important factor.

Another factor that has not been discussed is the amount of knowledge we have now for optimal nutrition. If you look at world records for lifting, you can see that as time passes, records also get progressively higher. This is because we can train much more effectively now than 20 years ago, and we can recover much faster because we know so much about proper nutrition.
Yes, you are right. Knowledge is increasing day by day. It's really an important factor that is helping us to progress.

I would say there are several reasons why.

1. Improved technology. Not only are frames, bearings, and helmets better but now we can actually measure the bearing resistance and test aerodynamics to such a small degree that we know which materials to use.

2. Training. The competition is so tough, you have to kill yourself just to qualify. These guys are under a lot of pressure. Qualifying is tougher than the race itself.

3. Indoor velodromes. These times are impossible outdoors, unless you are way up in the clouds.
In the 80's there were very few indoor velodromes.

4. Debated by some, but a new scientific paper proves that "if the rider leans deeply into a turn" on a 250 track, he will gain speed. This is an advantage over 333 sized 200 meter runs. If the rider doesn't lean in or relaxes for a fraction of a second, then it is not an advantage. (Think of the principal of seven people holding hands like iceskaters spinning in a big circle. The first just spins, but the seventh person in line is flying, going faster that the sixth one.Your wheels do the same thing when you lean in so that your upper body remains at the same speed and the wheels are forced to keep up in a larger diameter path.) Some say the steep banking is a benefit also, but I've seen fast sprints from the blue line too.

Thanks Tshame for give simple and good answer in brief

Training is also now more scientific and systematic than it was 20+ years ago. My daughter is a track sprinter, and is under constant analysis (skinfolds, nutrition, power, strength, speed, position, tactics, track-skills...). Most of her training is not on the track.
Coaches are looking for incremental gains, and for peaking at the right time for targeted competition. Technology has definitely improved, but everyone is using similar equipment, so it is very much match-racing.

One key element that have improved man over a period of time is the world of technology in the sense that lots of things have changed when we compared to what used to happen in those days that you mentioned. We are in a period where new techniques of training, new equipments that accelerates the level of our training are now being used all around the globe and it is no surprise that it has affected the way that we ride faster.

In the coming years, I look at a picture where man continues to develop with the aid of technology that is around us. So, that's really a good way to get better at the sports that we do.