Why Australia is great

VeloFlash said:
Nice and warm to hot in Rockhampton this time of year (our winter). The Aussie Olympic track cycling squad is currently training there to simulate the Athens hot climate.

Rockhampton is in Queensland which is also our red neck state. Ultra conservative. You turn your clocks back 20 years when you cross the border. They refuse to adjust for daylight saving (they claim it affects the dairy cows milking and the extra hour of sunlight accelerates the fading of curtains and paintwork).

You had better ask your friend, if a local, if they are married to their sibling :)

VeloFlash, Naughty, naughty, boy, when you next attempt to cross the border you will be stopped by the border police they will cut your left aggat off.

How can you, a peasant from NSW write/say such untruths about our Fantastic, Incredibly, Wonderful, State, look where a lot of your fellow Mexicans are going to in droves. The latest figures are 10.000 a month seeking refuge from the South, I wonder why, 10.000 a month can't be wrong can they?

Just this once we'll overlook your mistake, as long as you say three hail Peters?

As far as the daylight saving is concerned maybe with so many Mexicans here we might be able to get that changed, we can only hope so, however I'm not holding my breath at the moment.

It was the "One Good Thing" about having Sir Joe as premier, he gave us daylight saving in 1968-69.

However the curtains in parliament house got so faded they stopped it the next year? It is so expensive to replace those suckers?

The real argument for not having it, is all to do with schoolchildern getting home from school in outback Queensland, during the hottest time time of the day, when daylight saving is used, it bring school hours forward an hour?

Think about it, and it does make sense, we put a submission in to go to school an hour earlier, the parents didn't want the hassle of changing their routine?

That is the only valid reasons, the heat of midday in Queensland, as far as I'm concerned, but try and convince a pollie?

KTWIM,ADLB,UITSWYDOTLC? TBC

New draconian "anti-terror" laws

19th Century workplace laws

Crumbling economy

Falling education standards

apart from that, great beaches - to most Aussies - that is more important

You work it out

Beer and circuses

scotty72 said:
New draconian "anti-terror" laws
...which, interestingly enough, could get you imprisoned for seven years. Such rabble-rousing comments fall under the heading of sedition.

Tut tut.

Feideaux said:
...which, interestingly enough, could get you imprisoned for seven years. Such rabble-rousing comments fall under the heading of sedition.
No, he's safe, those laws haven't quite been passed yet.

I've seen a lot of this country, but there's still plenty more to see. It's a great place to live. I've only been to a few other countries though, and not for any great length of time, but it's hard to imagine a better place to live, for the reasons outlined by Veloflash.

BTW, the Fosters we get here is like cats **** (well, what I imagine cats **** would taste like, as I have never tased it).

Oh, another great thing about Australia is that we don't have accents :D

Feideaux said:
No, he's safe, those laws haven't quite been passed yet.

I've seen a lot of this country, but there's still plenty more to see. It's a great place to live. I've only been to a few other countries though, and not for any great length of time, but it's hard to imagine a better place to live, for the reasons outlined by Veloflash.

BTW, the Fosters we get here is like cats **** (well, what I imagine cats **** would taste like, as I have never tased it).

Oh, another great thing about Australia is that we don't have accents :D

"Lightning Ridge" Black Opals :eek:
world class citizens (very cordial), I've been to Fremantle (Perth)
world class natural wonders
One of the few liberal democratic, governments in the southern hemisphere.

davidmc said:
Hey, David, my house is just down the road from Fremantle (although I don't get back to see it very often - hopefully next year). Freo's a good spot. I first moved to the West back in 1983. It's a good place to call home. My wife, daughters and dog live down there while I sweat over a hot desk up here in Borneo.
Australia has always been good to me (Kiwi blow-in). I've spent many years working throughout the W.A and N.T. outback, along with a bunch of time around the Northern coastline. My daughters are getting an excellent education and our friends are as good as the World makes. All the B's are good in Aussie - Beaches, Bikes and Beer. Great place.

davidmc said:
Hey, David, my house is just down the road from Fremantle (although I don't get back to see it very often - hopefully next year). Freo's a good spot. I first moved to the West back in 1983. It's a good place to call home. My wife, daughters and dog live down there while I sweat over a hot desk up here in Borneo.
Australia has always been good to me (Kiwi blow-in). I've spent many years working throughout the W.A and N.T. outback, along with a bunch of time around the Northern coastline. My daughters are getting an excellent education and our friends are as good as the World makes. All the B's are good in Aussie - Beaches, Bikes and Beer. Great place.

EoinC said:
I visited Fremantle & spent an afternoon in Perth in 1989. It was a beutiful, unspoiled area & the people, to a one, were outgoing & helpful in all regards :)

EoinC said:
I visited Fremantle & spent an afternoon in Perth in 1989. It was a beutiful, unspoiled area & the people, to a one, were outgoing & helpful in all regards :)

davidmc said:
"merkins" like you will always be welcome.
So are most people.
:)

davidmc said:
"merkins" like you will always be welcome.
So are most people.

davidmc said:
Dave,just curious,but were you in the us navy?

davidmc said:
Dave,just curious,but were you in the us navy?

jhuskey said:
Got some good mates down under that I talk to on a regular basis, around the Rock Hampton area.
It's Rockhampton,actually.All one word. The Spelling Nazi strikes! Noone is safe!

jhuskey said:
Got some good mates down under that I talk to on a regular basis, around the Rock Hampton area.
It's Rockhampton,actually.All one word. The Spelling Nazi strikes! Noone is safe!